classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

welding old aluminium
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice
1935Hillman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:28 pm    Post subject: welding old aluminium Reply with quote

I have a tiny water leak on a very old aluminium cylinder head which so far has caused no serious problem. However, the head is off the car for sleeving the plug threads and I would like to get the split repaired. I took it to a very good and reputable welder who kept it for a day or two but then decide that because the head is so old and the ally is not of the highest quality he did not wish to risk having a problem that he could not get out of.
Does anyone know of a welder in the Newbury, Berkshire area who may have more experience of such repairs and might be able to help me.
The head could go back on and be fine but taking it off is not at all easy so getting the repair done would be really handy.
Many thanks,
Tim
peter scott

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tim,

Rather than attempting aluminium welding how about brazing with HTS2000?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCrixbXz4rc

I have tried this stuff and am very impressed with the ease of use and strength of it.

Here's a broken pulley I repaired by pooling the HTS and turning it to shape afterwards.

The second picture shows a more ambitious repair done by a friend, filling and hole and creating a new lug on a water manifold.

Peter

Last edited by peter scott on Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:09 pm; edited 2 times in total
1935Hillman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very impressive video, I will certainly take a good look at that although I am not in a position to experiment with my ally head right now and may have to suggest it to someone else. Thanks for the advice though Peter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: