classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Electronic handbrakes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans)
Ellis

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:10 pm    Post subject: Electronic handbrakes Reply with quote

Five weeks ago I changed the "daily", a Fiat 500L 1.6 diesel for a pre registered Fiat 500X 1.6 diesel Multicross.
I knew I was in trouble driving the thing from the dealership - the electronic handbrake refused to release. A mechanic was quickly called and he operated the mechanism a number of times until it finally released. The car was taken into the workshop and inspected.

"It'll be fine now, sir, car's been stood since September."

It failed to release once more on the journey home - my fault, I hadn't co-ordinated pressing the footbrake and lifting the "button" at the same time.

When I arrived home I operated it on the drive and listened to the power of the motor which applies the brake. The strain it must cause to the mechanism cannot be good for it's longevity. Then I worked out if there's an electrical failure, there's no handbrake.

After a month I'd had enough, I didn't like the 500X anyway and yesterday took delivery a nearly new Fiat 500L Lounge.

The manual handbrake is very reassuring.
(My nephew has just paid £850 to overhaul the electric handbrake on his Land Rover Discovery 3)
The present and future in new car technology is leaving me behind..........

Uncle Mort lives on.

1964 Jaguar Mark 2 3.4 litre
1962 Land Rover Series 2a 88"
2002 BMW M3 E46 Cabriolet
47Jag

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ellis bach,

The electronic handbrake has a switch on the accelerator pedal. This may have been maladjusted. The way it works is, once the brake is applied, say at at traffic light, you would select a gear and drive away. The action of pressing the accelerator releases the brake. i would think if the switch is not adjusted correctly the brake would 'think' you are driving away.

I'm with you on this. My car has an electric brake but i would rather have a cable. With the electric brake in an emergency when you would want instant results you have to go through a 'negotiation'. You apply the brake and it beeps at you as if to say "are you sure" for a fair distance while you hurtle toward oblivion, then it applies, maybe in time, maybe not.

Art
MVPeters

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:49 am    Post subject: Re: Electronic handbrakes Reply with quote

Ellis wrote:
................ if there's an electrical failure, there's no handbrake.

There's no fail-safe mechanism?
Suppose you go to change or remove the battery, a simple & routine enough task & on some cars, required to change a simple headlight bulb. How do you hold the car still? Put it in gear? Hardly reliable, even with an automatic - & then, what about CVT transmissions, do they lock up?
Suppose this 'mal-adjusted' brake pedal switch is 'mal-adjusted' the opposite way & the parking brake won't release at all. How do you get it to your friendly dealer? - oh yes, disconnect the battery!
In fact, I'm surprised Construction & Use regulations permit this, but I don't have a copy to refer to.
I think I'll sharpen the teeth on my hand brake ratchet tomorrow.
Dipster

Location: UK, France and Portugal - unless I am travelling....

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really am becoming like Victor Meldrew, I know that.

But I do wonder who thought of putting such gizmos on cars. Are they cheaper to make and install than cables and ratcheted levers? Or do car companies look forward to reaping repair costs later in the car`s life?

Moderns are just too complicated for me. I really get little pleasure in driving most of them. Plus so many look simply wierd to my eyes and often painted strange colours too. Giant Tonka toys. Yuk!!

I really cannot see myself ever buying another new car, all seem too complicated.
D4B

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dipster wrote:
I really am becoming like Victor Meldrew, I know that.

But I do wonder who thought of putting such gizmos on cars. Are they cheaper to make and install than cables and ratcheted levers? Or do car companies look forward to reaping repair costs later in the car`s life?

Moderns are just too complicated for me. I really get little pleasure in driving most of them. Plus so many look simply wierd to my eyes and often painted strange colours too. Giant Tonka toys. Yuk!!

I really cannot see myself ever buying another new car, all seem too complicated.

Agreed on all counts
emmerson

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.....and why do they put pink or green bits on black cars?
Dipster

Location: UK, France and Portugal - unless I am travelling....

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

emmerson wrote:

That can work. Who remembers the lovely old dual tone Vauxhal Crestas of the late 50s/early 60s?

Black and pale green, black/pale blue, black /pink. Primrose yellow too if I remember correctly. That worked for me. I recall seeing quite a few so I am presuming it was factory paint.
colwyn500

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a related theme, I was reading up on a device available in Poland, which is a pulley bolted onto the external crankshaft pulley of The Maluch or Fiat 126P. This allows you to use, as they say, "a rope" to pull-start the little, 2-cylinder engine when the battery is iffy because of cold weather. It's actually quite pracical with the engine being at the back and slung quite low.
emmerson

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dipster wrote:
emmerson wrote:

That can work. Who remembers the lovely old dual tone Vauxhal Crestas of the late 50s/early 60s?

Black and pale green, black/pale blue, black /pink. Primrose yellow too if I remember correctly. That worked for me. I recall seeing quite a few so I am presuming it was factory paint.

That's OK, Dipster, ,but these modern things have pink mirrors or door handles and bumpers. It looks as though they ran out of paint!

And which mindless moron decreed that its OK to have front lights without lighting up the rear? I know they're supposed to be used in daylight, but it's quite a regular occurence now to find them blythely driving around after dark without switching on proper lights.
I can't remember what make my Daughter's car is, but when you switch on the ignition the DRLs come on, and the whole of the dash lights, so it is dead easy to think that you've lit up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: