classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
How To Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy Policy     F/book facebook.com/oldclassiccar

mock up my aquaplane manifolds and twin carbs
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Ford
Author Message
alastairq



Joined: 14 Oct 2016
Posts: 1307
Location: East Yorkshire

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget to plug the hole at the end of the manifold's balance pipe section.

Might be an idea to tap it and screw a suitable brass plug inside?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Paul fairall



Joined: 17 Nov 2016
Posts: 431
Location: North west Kent

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alastairq wrote:
Don't forget to plug the hole at the end of the manifold's balance pipe section.

Might be an idea to tap it and screw a suitable brass plug inside?
it is tapped bsp I think. Will use for the vacuum wiper
_________________
1957 ford popular
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Peter_L



Joined: 10 Apr 2008
Posts: 2350
Location: New Brunswick. Canada.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it was me. I would blank them off and go for electric wipers.

Trying to balance carbs' and have a vacuum feed out doesn't sound like an ideal situation and I don't suppose I am that far out in thinking the carb/manifold was added to improve performance.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Paul fairall



Joined: 17 Nov 2016
Posts: 431
Location: North west Kent

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterwpg wrote:
If it was me. I would blank them off and go for electric wipers.

Trying to balance carbs' and have a vacuum feed out doesn't sound like an ideal situation and I don't suppose I am that far out in thinking the carb/manifold was added to improve performance.
i admit I have been looking at an electric wiper. Thing is, the more refinements are made the more boring a car is to drive. Yesterday I took the popular out to one of our tyre depots to use a socket to remove the steering wheel and line the spokes up. I drove my work vehicle to the lock up, then drove the pop, then the work vehicle home. The pop requires my full attention to drive and the work vehicle feels so comfy, steering is precise etc etc, I've come to the conclusion modern cars are boring get you where you want to go transport that require very little effort. It's no wonder I've only enjoyed riding motorbikes the past thirty years.
_________________
1957 ford popular
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kleftiwallah



Joined: 27 Oct 2016
Posts: 222
Location: North Wiltshire

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good afternoon Peter L. The spare parts booklet tells me the orinal carb' was a Solex 26FV (V for vertical positioning).

I've managed to aquire 2 of these and had them profesionally overhauled and jetted. I'll 'ave a bash at setting up what I want to do in a snap.

Cheers, Tony.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kleftiwallah



Joined: 27 Oct 2016
Posts: 222
Location: North Wiltshire

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:17 pm    Post subject: General arangement 'drawing' Reply with quote

Hello again. I hope you can see what I'm trying to do?


Two questions, (1) the choke 'butterfly' is sprung closed. Surely they should be sprung open and only closed when attempting to start from cold?

(2) I've tried to change the linkages so they are both toward each other on the inside. Any suggestions?

Cheers, Tony.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Paul fairall



Joined: 17 Nov 2016
Posts: 431
Location: North west Kent

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No photo Tony
_________________
1957 ford popular
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Penman



Joined: 23 Nov 2007
Posts: 4148
Location: Lancashire

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: General arangement 'drawing' Reply with quote

Kleftiwallah wrote:
Hello again. I hope you can see what I'm trying to do?
[img]

/IMG_0240_zpsahchhbja.jpg.html]
[/img]
Two questions, (1) the choke 'butterfly' is sprung closed. Surely they should be sprung open and only closed when attempting to start from cold?

(2) I've tried to change the linkages so they are both toward each other on the inside. Any suggestions?

Cheers, Tony.

_________________
Bristols should always come in pairs.

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kleftiwallah



Joined: 27 Oct 2016
Posts: 222
Location: North Wiltshire

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote



Good morning Peter, I know what has happened, due to me not being used top photobucket I uploaded the snap twice and then went back and deleted the one I had coppied/pasted. If you see what I mean.

Here it is. Two questions, (1) the choke 'butterfly' is sprung closed. Surely they should be sprung open and only closed when attempting to start from cold?

(2) I've tried to change the linkages so they are both toward each other on the inside. Any suggestions?

Cheers, Tony.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Paul fairall



Joined: 17 Nov 2016
Posts: 431
Location: North west Kent

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GARAGE HERMIT wrote:


do you realise you'll have to cut a hole in your bulkhead to get the right hand carb to fit, i've just cut a hole in mine, turn's out you need 2 left carb's, no cutting then,
had a look today and a bit of panel beating to form a depression should be enough.
_________________
1957 ford popular
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GARAGE HERMIT



Joined: 20 Mar 2017
Posts: 186
Location: stockton upon tees, cleveland,

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul fairall wrote:
GARAGE HERMIT wrote:


do you realise you'll have to cut a hole in your bulkhead to get the right hand carb to fit, i've just cut a hole in mine, turn's out you need 2 left carb's, no cutting then,
had a look today and a bit of panel beating to form a depression should be enough.


never thought of that, might work, dont forget you'll need room for your air filter too,
i'm using "pancake" one's,
_________________
1957 - 103e - popular,
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Paul fairall



Joined: 17 Nov 2016
Posts: 431
Location: North west Kent

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GARAGE HERMIT wrote:
Paul fairall wrote:
GARAGE HERMIT wrote:


do you realise you'll have to cut a hole in your bulkhead to get the right hand carb to fit, i've just cut a hole in mine, turn's out you need 2 left carb's, no cutting then,
had a look today and a bit of panel beating to form a depression should be enough.


never thought of that, might work, dont forget you'll need room for your air filter too,
i'm using "pancake" one's,
no filters just bell mouths.
_________________
1957 ford popular
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kleftiwallah



Joined: 27 Oct 2016
Posts: 222
Location: North Wiltshire

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter, are these any good to you?



Cheers, Tony.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GARAGE HERMIT



Joined: 20 Mar 2017
Posts: 186
Location: stockton upon tees, cleveland,

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paul, here's a pic, i never cut the semi circle bit at the top, there was already a 2" hole the previous owner drilled,
and an export petrol pump will not fit with a aquplane exhaust manifold, shame,


_________________
1957 - 103e - popular,
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Paul fairall



Joined: 17 Nov 2016
Posts: 431
Location: North west Kent

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GARAGE HERMIT wrote:
paul, here's a pic, i never cut the semi circle bit at the top, there was already a 2" hole the previous owner drilled,
and an export petrol pump will not fit with a aquplane exhaust manifold, shame,

thanks mate, get an electric pump, mine was only 21.
_________________
1957 ford popular
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Ford All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
Forum T&C


php BB powered © php BB Grp.