classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

LED Lighting for SS and MkIV Jaguars
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
Ray White

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peter scott wrote:
There's not a lot wrong with halogens but with the nasty move from when everyone just used side lights in built-up areas to using headlamps they take an awful lot of amps from the poor old dynamo. LED headlamps let you use them in towns without taxing the charging system.

Peter

According to the Highway Code you only need to use headlights in an area with street lighting when visibility is "seriously reduced".

I will carry on using sidelights until I am stopped and told otherwise by a Policeman.
peter scott

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is when all the oncoming traffic have headlights on then your eyes are "stopped down" so you could easily fail to see a car running just on side lights.

Peter
Ray White

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peter scott wrote:
The problem is when all the oncoming traffic have headlights on then your eyes are "stopped down" so you could easily fail to see a car running just on side lights.

Peter

I take your point. Wink
Penman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another problem I have noticed is that a lot of moderns have their front indicators in a position where they can be made very difficult to see if not actually invisible because they are sandwiched between headlioghjtys or actually inside the Headlamp cluster.

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
Ray White

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have noticed how cars are becoming ever more independent of driver input. The headlights on my my wife's car turn themselves on when they think they will. There is a radar that prevents you from tailgating the car in front and the brakes come on automatically if the car thinks you are not driving safely enough. There is "lane assist" and so much more "tech" stuff that I want nothing to do with it.
peter scott

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My modern (Suzuki Swift) has the adaptive cruise which is one of the reasons I bought it and also the radar collision avoidance. It has beeped at me a few times but has never yet panicked enough to apply the brakes. I have driven hire cars with lane assist that nudges you back in lane but the Swift doesn't nudge, it just puts on a warning light. Not very useful if you are asleep but I suppose the collision avoidance saves you unless you are heading over a cliff.

Peter
Ray White

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Lexus (which I haven't driven yet) applies the brakes if it thinks you are reversing into something. It wouldn't be much good for me...I use the tow bar on my P38 to tell me when I have gone back far enough. Embarassed
Penman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was working as a courtesy car ferry driver of the crash repair company, I drove all sorts of customers cars.
Lane assist nudge a bit disconcerting when you don't know it is fitted.
It shouldn't nudge if you have indicated, caught me out because applying Roadcraft standards I was moving out early to leave the LH lane free for anything on an upcoming on-slip and nothing behind me close, so a no indicator situation. Apparently on the Volvo XC90 the nudge can be disconnected.
Proximity braking when parking.
We had to park in our yard with less than6" space, front or rear, it was just a bit of a bind when the sensors stopped you and then you have to continue till it stops you again, it could be 3 or 4 times before getting near enough. It depends on what the maker ahs decided is the optimum first application distance.
I met a coach driver who told me that the proximity braking sensors at the front can be awkward when taking a very tight turn into a LH side road because the off-side corner sensor considers you too close to a vehicle waiting to come out or on a very narrow road it might be the hedge/fence etc on the far side of the road.

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
peter scott

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Penman wrote:

Lane assist nudge a bit disconcerting when you don't know it is fitted.

I first encountered it on a hire car and was all ready to complain that there was a fault with the power steering before I realised that it was a feature. When I change lanes I check in the mirrors and if nothing is there I don't indicate.

Peter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: