classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

What did you do to your car today?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 81, 82, 83 ... 119, 120, 121  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
alastairq

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ran a die along 5 wheel studs. Tapped out 5 wheel nuts.
Darned windygun tyre emporiums...with very little effort, they manage to chew up stud ends, and mess up wheel nuts.

3 more wheel stations to do now.
----------------------------------------------
Ford Pop chassis, Ashley 1172 bodyshell, in pieces.
Ray White

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alastairq wrote:
Darned windygun tyre emporiums...with very little effort, they manage to chew up stud ends, and mess up wheel nuts.

You have my sympathy. Those places are just a rip off anyway.

For the past 20 years or so In have used a local independent and have no complaints. That said, they did refuse to touch the wheels of my Dodge. In the end I took them to a commercial vehicle place who were O.K. with them.
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray White wrote:
alastairq wrote:

You have my sympathy. Those places are just a rip off anyway.

For the past 20 years or so In have used a local independent and have no complaints. That said, they did refuse to touch the wheels of my Dodge. In the end I took them to a commercial vehicle place who were O.K. with them.

I always prefer to drop off loose wheels at the local tyre depot if possible, and usually pick them up the following day. Saves a lot of hanging around and keeps me in practice for having to change a wheel at the roadside, a good thing as I seem to be doing a lot of it lately - had more punctures in the last year than in the previous 10. I suspect the councils in this part of the world are using coronavirus as an excuse not to sweep the roads, no logic to it but there's not much logic in any of it that I can see... Rolling Eyes
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dug out all the filler from the top half of the rear quarter on the hatch. It has two fairly deep dents in it, and it looks as if they haven't tried to push them out, just filled them with filler. I doubt I can get them perfect, but I can use a lot less bog on them.
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Replaced the front end of the nearside chassis rail today, as it was as badly repaired as the other side. Also tidied a bit of stuff in the front of the shed as I've got a show this weekend and I need to get both cars out tomorrow. Fortunately I picked a metal cabinet out of the skip earlier this week, so that's helped a little.
badhuis

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Removed both front seats (just four 7/16" bolts each seat) from my 1967 Chamois because the drivers seat had two issues. First a seam split on the squab was getting bigger each time, and secondly a spring had come loose at the backrest at the rear and was dangerously poking through the vinyl.
I removed the vinyl from the squab and gave it to a neighbour. Angelique makes all kinds of things with leather and is very experienced with her heavy duty sewing machine. For her it was just a matter of minutes whereas if I would have done it by myself, I would need to do it by hand and it probably would take me an hour or two.

Removed the vinyl from the backrest and cut away the nasty spring. I noticed the backrest springs had cut into the foam so I put a thin layer of closed cell foam between the springs and the original foam. Replaced the vinyl which was a little more difficult compared to removing it.
In the mean time I upgraded the passenger seat to drivers seat - this seat of course is less worn. This does not show on the vinyl but the foams are a little thicker and the springs probably are less sagged. The beauty of these older cars is that the seats are identical, and that repairs are fairly simple to do. The whole seat is very simple but made with quality materials, even for a cheap car like this.

Tomorrow I will refit the drivers seat squab vinyl and put it back as the passenger seat into the car again.
badhuis

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seat covers are in place again and the seat is in the car.
Compared to the XJS seat I recovered a few weeks ago this one was much simpler, with materials that are more durable. No rubber diaphragm for the base but strong springs.

I am not out of seat troubles yet as the Elite has a shoulder / bolster foam part missing. This car came from the USA and while the vinyl parts of the seats are still good (supple and no rips), the cloth parts have partly disintegrated and as said one foam part gone missing or disintegrated as well.
I want to keep the vinyl and replace the cloth parts with new. Yesterday I visited someone who broke a few Elites and Eclats over the years. I bought a ripped leather passenger seat which still has good foams, will use the foams when rebuilding the drivers seat.

The back seat is still pretty good, the cloth part (a whitish corduroy) has survived but has stains. Not sure these can be removed, maybe a better bet is to replace that as well.

Rootes75

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice bit of sunshine today so we managed to finish priming the chassis of the Commer. The springs and running gear are just about ready to also have some paint.
Rootes75

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We took our Hillman down to a local Military show yesterday, will take her down again today as it was actually a very well attended event.

Really good to see people back enjoying talking to each other about classic vehicles!
Vulgalour

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got the rear arch on the Maestro rebuild and welded together bar a couple of small patches. This job began when I accidentally washed the old arch off. Couldn't get proper repair panels for this side (inners aren't available at all) so improvised with a couple of front wings that have an almost identical profile. Fiddly work all the same and looks pretty ugly right now. Nothing a grinder and some filler can't fix, happily.

The inner arch had rotted as far as the outer I've replaced here, as well as having a couple of extra patches needed inside. Rather a lot more work than I wanted to get into. Trouble is, this is my everyday car so I didn't have much choice but to get it done really.
Peter_L

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vulgalour wrote:
Nothing a grinder and some filler can't fix,

Filler and paint makes me the welder I 'aint
Vulgalour

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely! I waved the magic spinning disc at the welds and they look much better. Inner arch is all sealed up and (not pictured here) painted. Tomorrow I'll get some filler (I'm all out) so I can finish the outside. It's not exactly the shape a Maestro arch should be, but it's plenty close enough.

Then we have to do it all again on the passenger side which on the surface doesn't seem as bad, and at least I have the proper panels for that side which will speed things up. We'll see what it has in store for me later.
peter scott

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stupidly reversed into a projecting part of a skip in our street that took a nasty gouge out of my rear wing. After much filling sanding, refilling etc x N, I got the wet & dry out and then a few coats of paint etc x N and finally some Brasso to blend the new cellulose into the existing. I haven't done this for many years but I think might now tackle some of the other little nasties around the car. Colour matching is not really a problem with black.

Peter
Peter_L

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vulgalour wrote:

Then we have to do it all again on the passenger side which on the surface doesn't seem as bad, and at least I have the proper panels for that side which will speed things up. We'll see what it has in store for me later.

As there is no way that both sides can be seen at the same time, no worries..
Vulgalour

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a nice clean repair on that arch, tyre says it all.

I've had some luck with paint and arches today too, after three full days of graft the rear arch on the Maestro is as finished as it needs to be. There's a couple of areas that would benefit from a little more profiling work which I will do in the future. For now I needed it in paint rather than bare primer and filler since the car lives outdoors. I can address the minor profiling issues at my leisure and blend them in more easily in the future now, probably when I work through the various bodywork scabs on this side.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 81, 82, 83 ... 119, 120, 121  Next
Page 82 of 121

Jump to: