classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

What did you do to your car today?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 85, 86, 87 ... 119, 120, 121  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
peter scott

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 4:12 pm    Post subject: Ginetta G15 Reply with quote

Last night I received a nice email from the first owner of my Ginetta G15.

Quote:
I had the car for about a year and used it for daily transport. I saw the G15 on Ginetta’s 1968 London Motor Show stand, visited their works in Witham Essex and ordered a kit there. It was delivered in early 1969. I originally asked for yellow but they said I should go for Ginetta orange which I did and was happy with it.

We too used it as everyday transport as well as our wedding car but parted with it when our daughter was too big to travel in a carry cot behind the seats.

The car is still on the road and taxed up until July 2022 which is more than can be said for any other car I have ever sold.

Peter
Rootes75

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over the Christmas period my work shuts down for a week, I have made a point to get down the yard as often as posdible.

The result being that I have done an awful lot if rubbing down and filling!! We have something to work towards now aswel, a lovely Military show held about 30 mins drive from us has been confirmed for the last weekend in May. A nice target date and something to look forward to!!
norustplease

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Volvo and I braved a damp morning to attend a breakfast meet at St. Catherine's Hospice in Lostock Hall. A few cars there, in spite of lousy weather, but nothing like the usual turnout. Hopefully better weather at the February meet on Feb 13th.
Boring Tucson SUV
petelang

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know where one can buy some "willpower " so I can get started on the mile long list of jobs that need doing?
It's cold in the garage, I've just come back from a month in the sun and just can't get going!
Ray White

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

petelang wrote:
Does anyone know where one can buy some "willpower " so I can get started on the mile long list of jobs that need doing?
It's cold in the garage, I've just come back from a month in the sun and just can't get going!

The thing you need is some thermals and a hoodie. Don't worry about the image (or getting hugged by a politician!) then start on a small easy job. This might inspire you to move onto more daunting tasks.

That's my way of getting back in the groove.

Wink
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've also been struggling to motivate myself when it's cold, but it's a bit better now. Over the last few weeks I've been making a point of wearing my protective cap as I scraped my head, and it's surprising (well, maybe not) how much that helps to keep the heat in.

I find the big problem is starting - once I'm going, it's fine.

Recent jobs include a replacement fuel filter, coil packs and spark plugs on the daily driver to cure a poor running problem, and today I've removed the back panel from the project car as it needs to be replaced.
consul 57

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

petelang wrote:

i bought 2 sets of thermal waterproof overalls from lidl a few years back, i wear them with a jumper underneath and a beani hat and as long as my hands don't get too cold i seem to be able to keep quite warm under the car port, i sometimes i have to take my jumper off!
best thing i have bought as winter clothing, worth getting i reckon.
badhuis

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

petelang wrote:

Put a heater in the garage. Make an effort to isolate the garage first.
This really helps. A comfortable working environment is needed more and more as you get older. Whenever I want to do things in the garage, I switch on the heater half an hour before. Mmmmm lovely warmth.
(I isolated my garage using second hand isolation stuff, and installed a second hand gas (house) central heater bought for 70 euros. The house heater installation was bought from a nearby house because it was replaced being 15 years old. It needed yearly maintenance from a professional who declared it out of date and not as efficient as new gas heaters. I cleaned it and 10 years later it still works perfectly. Maybe not as efficient as a new one but then I only use it once a week or so during winter months.)
peter scott

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can deal with the temperature in the garage but my disincentive is space. I don't want to move house and I don't want to work outside in the cold. I have space in front of the car but the things I need to do are down the sides.

Peter
badhuis

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you can hang the ladder to the ceiling?
peter scott

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True. But I couldn't hang the spare engine block and my compressor on the other side of the car.

Sad
petelang

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My garage is a large rented commercial unit. No point investing in installing heating. I could pay for heat already piped in but they charge a premium and the small gas heater is like a candle in a hall, all the heat goes up in the mezzanine which is mostly storage. I have similar width restrictions too Peter, the structure for the upper floor.
Right now I'm waiting for bits from SNG Barratt to fix fuel leaks on the V8 Carburetters that I ordered before Xmas, which the stupid Postie returned instead of my next door neighbour taking it in. They're stuck in the postal system somewhere!
I also have the Daimler Fifteen steering box in bits waiting for parts being made to sort the steering box play, no news yet.
I'm loath to start something else as, you know what happens, suddenly everything needs doing at once....
So I'll just think about it here on the nice warm sofa a bit longer.
Miken

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too only have a very narrow garage in which to work on my car.
I've only recently twigged that having a central strip light means that I am invariably working in shadow as most jobs tend to be down the sides of the vehicle (or underneath, or under the bonnet).
What I need to do is move the light to one side against the wall and fit another on the other side.
Ray White

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miken wrote:
I too only have a very narrow garage in which to work on my car.
I've only recently twigged that having a central strip light means that I am invariably working in shadow as most jobs tend to be down the sides of the vehicle (or underneath, or under the bonnet).
What I need to do is move the light to one side against the wall and fit another on the other side.

I have found LED bat lights useful. They have magnets on the back.
badhuis

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get advertisements for led light strips in a headband. Looks very promising.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 85, 86, 87 ... 119, 120, 121  Next
Page 86 of 121

Jump to: