classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

What did you do to your car today?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 117, 118, 119, 120, 121  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have something similar for swapping wheel bearings. I've never used it for that (yet), but I have used it along with other bits and pieces for various other uses, like pulling suspension bushes out.
Rootes75

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, after plenty more head scratching we had another go at our Hillman engine today...

I wanted one more go at getting the pistons in before dropping the crankshaft so today we tried again.

I opted to feed the con rod up as far as I could from underneath, this was held in place by my Father squeezing his hand up past the crank. I heated number 1 piston and sat it in the bore as deep as the first ring, in this far the con rod top could be lined up by putting my little finger in the hole. Then I pushed in a cold gudgeon pin, and with a suitable sized drift I could tap it fully into place with a wooden mallet.

It worked, took about 20 minutes all told but it worked. So we gave the others a go and within the next hour or so all pistons were in and with no rings snapped!!

Very pleased we gave it another go but it's a pretty difficult job if that's the way it has to be done!!
Ray White

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done with that Hillman engine. I thought you would manage it somehow!
badhuis

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent!
Rootes75

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just goes to show walking away from it when it's not going right is probably the best thing to do. Don't go too far when it appears to be going badly as its difficult to go back.

Step back, think it through. Have a good plan and patience.

We tried this way before and simply couldn't do it, we couldn't get the gudgeon pins in trying it before and I didn't want to damage any parts forcing them.

This time we worked out a method and tried it, after a couple efforts we found a way of making it work. We are very pleased we didn't have to drop the crankshaft!!

Next weekend out plan is to attach the con rods to the crank, we have new bearings and sump set so fingers crossed bottom end will be complete this time next week.
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time spent thinking about a problem is rarely wasted... and thinking often starts by locking up the garage and putting the kettle on.
Rootes75

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One further issue we have come across....we started looking through the box of stripped engine parts...there are only 15 cotter halves...should be 16 obviously...
Rootes75

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been down the yard, more sorting of engine parts.

We are definitely missing a valve cotter half...and one piston circlip...
Rootes75

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, more time spent rebuilding the Hillman engine. 3 pistons in but the fourth we managed to crack a ring even when using the ring tool.

After withdrawing the offending piston we found the top of the cylinder has a burr that you can feel with your fingers. Obviously the ring was getting caught on that.
Rootes75

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am seriously losing my patience with this Hillman Minx engine, what a difficult little engine to work on. It also doesn't help rebuilding an engine that someone else stripped 20 or 30 years back!!!
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried again to get my tailgate to line up. I've spaced the hinges down as far as I can (the torsion spring will foul on the bodywork if I go any further) and it's pretty good, probably as good as it can be unless I can think of something else to do.
Rootes75

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Continued working on the Hillman engine. All pistons now in and connected. Everything torqued up ready for the sump to be refitted.
Rootes75

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oil change on our Commer complete.
consul 57

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

finaly got around to changing the consul to neg earth so i can fit the electronic ign, alternator & elec windscreen wipers.
had to rewire a few things but it starts and runs for now.
sadly i now need new tail light bulbs as i fitted led ones about 3 years ago and of course they are neg or pos earth and cant be used on the other polarity!
been meaning to do this for about 6 years! first real work i have done on the old girl for about 6 months.
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last year I fitted a USB socket to the Firenza, I did a lovely neat job putting in place of the old lighter socket. Trouble is, while it's a good place to put a lighter socket - easy to hand just to the left of the steering column - it's a terrible place for a USB socket because the wires trail across the bottom of the dash and the gear lever. So I removed it, put the old dash insert back in, and made a custom bracket so the socket can sit on the passenger side of the dash. Once I've sorted a new phone bracket, it'll make the cable runs much neater. Only trouble is that there's a dodgy connection somewhere, so I need to have it apart again to sort it. Also ran the car in anticipation of taking it to an event this morning which I abandoned due to rain.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 117, 118, 119, 120, 121  Next
Page 118 of 121

Jump to: