classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

What did you do to your car today?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 118, 119, 120, 121  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swapped the rear wheel cylinder on the Firenza, because the old one was leaking. I'd been told they were the same as MG Midget, so I bought some new ones at the NEC Classic Show in November. Turns out that isn't true - I could probably make them fit, but only by changing a lot of stuff which I didn't want to change. Fortunately I had some cylinders which were NOS - the cylinders themselves were a bit filthy, but the seals appears OK so I just used those. I'll check it during the week ready for the first outing of the season on Easter Monday.

Also uncovered the bonnet on my Dad's Morris 1300 for the first time in many years. Now that I've freed off the rear brakes, it's a step closer to seeing if it will run.
Ray White

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having successfully fitted my rear number plate I went on to mess up one of the D lamps . To be precise, I was trying to improve a sloppy bulb holder by squeezing it,,, but it shattered.!

I thought I had a spare but it was completely the wrong type of holder and could not be adapted to fit so I am now trying to make one from scratch.

The plan is to solder some brass strips into a suitable shape but when I drilled Two 2mm fixing holes, I found I had put them side by side instead of one above the other. Drat.! Mad
bjacko

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:53 am    Post subject: Drilled the holes wrong. Reply with quote

Remember the old saying measure twice and cut (or drill) once.
Ray White

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Drilled the holes wrong. Reply with quote

bjacko wrote:
Remember the old saying measure twice and cut (or drill) once.

I had the measurements correct at 5 mm centres...but I stupidly drilled them in the wrong orientation. I should concentrate more on what I am doing. No excuses. Smile
Rootes75

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spent Saturday afternoon starting work stripping the engine on our latest project.

It has occurred to me though that our usual go to, Speedy Spares, will be closed and gone by the time we know what parts we need to source for the engine rebuild....
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reckon I've done just about all the welded repairs on the top of my project car now, with one or two minor exceptions, so tomorrow I'll remove the doors, tailgate, nosecone and bonnet, undo the suspension bolts, and then lift the empty shell up onto the rollover jig thingy. I don't think it's terrible underneath, but there's a lot of underseal to scrape off to be certain.
Ray White

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I plan to change the coolant in the Range Rover. I am a bit wary of the plastic drain plug in the bottom of the radiator. These things have a habit of breaking off so I investigated the possibility of something more reliable. The answer would seem to be a brass plug. I ordered one at a cost (including postage) of 8 pounds from a supplier called "Heritage Parts Centre" and it has now arrived.

Little things please little minds. Rolling Eyes
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Managed to get the project shell up onto the rollover stand, though it took me longer this time than I remember it taking last time. It needs to lift fairly high, and I'd forgotten quite how I managed it. Once the back end is up the stand is leaning forward more than I like, so there's a need to lift the front and try to push backwards so that both stands are vertical. The engine crane lifts the front, but has to be placed in exactly the right spot so that the legs aren't sitting just where I want to put the front stand.

It's all up there now, though, and I've had a good look around the floor and chassis rails, one or two bits I was suspicious of and a few welds that I'd purposely left because access is easier now, but generally speaking nothing terrible to do. A lot of underseal to scrape off, I think that'll be the first job.
consul 57

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

painted the inner wheel arches on the consul with hamerite, a job i have been wanting to do for ages, should help keep the rust at bay for a bit longer.
surprised how little muck was under them.
Rootes75

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got our 1942 Commer all ready to start up after her winter in storage. Fresh oil and water, battery fully charged. A couple minutes hand priming on the petrol pump till the suction of fluid could be heard.

Then, with full choke and on the second push of the starter button she fired and the engine burst into life. A couple minutes on the choke and then it was taken completely off and she sat ticking away like a sewing machine. Lovely and quiet.
peter scott

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First outing this year if you discount a once around the block some weeks earlier. Clocked up 90 miles driving around the back roads of East Lothian today as the weather was very nice all day and had a late lunch in a country pub in Dirleton.

Peter
Ray White

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have spent the entire afternoon and evening sitting in the P38 waiting for a recovery vehicle that never arrived.

I had been shopping in Machine Mart but on my return to the car it failed to start. Although the engine turned over it would not fire. I suspected the petrol pump but knowing what was involved I called the AA.

The Patrol man confirmed my fears and ordered a recovery vehicle ...who proved less than helpful on the phone... but the fantastic Machine Mart staff helped push my heavy car out of the car park and onto the road.

The expected one hour wait was extend by an hour, then another 90 minutes, then a further half hour....and so it went on... until by 10.00PM I gave up and Jean collected me. We left the car locked and will get a Landrover garage to collect it tomorrow.

I seldom vent my spleen but the recovery company got both barrels when I complained.

The time is now 11.30 PM and I have just received message on the AA app to say that the recovery vehicle should be with me by 2.30 A.M.

Shocked Shocked Shocked

They must be joking. Very Happy
bjacko

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:40 am    Post subject: AA Assistance Reply with quote

On one of my UK visits I called the AA as the engine stopped when I was driving my father's car in a town outside a pub. The pub allowed me to use their phone to call the AA and they just said no help available. It was pouring rain and late at night but obviously they did not care. My father had been a member for years! It must have been water in the ignition as after I had a beer and went back to the car it started OK. No further problems.
Penman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a car which would misfire and eventually stop on cold damp days during the winter. It would then run ok after a half hour, or so, break.
I eventually realised that due to the warm air feed pipe, leading to the carb filter, missing (it must have just fallen off, it was one of the foil covered spring types) I had been suffering from Carb Icing.
This was quite embarrassing because as a former private pilots licence holder I was aware of the phenomenon, because we always switched carb heat on for such weather, as well as take off and landing.

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuel pump fuse failure is reasonably common in EFI systems.

Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 118, 119, 120, 121  Next
Page 119 of 121

Jump to: