classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

MG TC
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 60, 61, 62, 63, 64  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc

Do you like or dislike the new dashboard ?
Yes I do like the new dashboard
100%
 100%  [ 7 ]
No I do not like the new dashboard
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 7

badhuis

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking very good!
The D lights are awfully vulnerable though. Never realised they stick out so much.
Ray White

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

badhuis wrote:
Looking very good!
The D lights are awfully vulnerable though. Never realised they stick out so much.

Yes, they are vulnerable as you say. Not ideal for reversing!
Rootes75

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks really good. I'd agree with the D lights thought, they do sit out quite a distance but do look right.
Ray White

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rootes75 wrote:
Looks really good. I'd agree with the D lights thought, they do sit out quite a distance but do look right.

If you look at other cars, they are nearly all the same...and it doesn't surprise me that so many T series cars have a bent chassis; the D lamps are at the ends of the chassis rails.

I also have the wiring in place for a reversing light but have opted not to fit it for now.

There is also the temptation to add a luggage rack...
Ray White

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keith D wrote:
Getting closer and looking great, Ray. Will it be on the road again this northern summer?

Keith

Sorry for the delay in replying, Keith.

To answer your question all I can say is I hope so. It all depends on what else the car throws at me ... and as you know it is a little fighter.!!! Very Happy
Ray White

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I finished re doing the chrome edge beading to the dashboard...making sure that this time I didn't crack the metal while bending it to the 'double hump' shape. I should now be able to get on with fitting it to the car. Making it snug up to the piping will be 'interesting' to say the least.

I have discovered another slight problem, however.

The new spare wheel spinner; although it screws down tight, the wheel remains loose. It seems the taper on the wheel does not tighten to the matching taper on the wheel mount.

I am not quite sure what needs to be done to fix this... it is just something else sent to test me!
badhuis

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adding a rubber in between?
Ray White

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

badhuis wrote:
Adding a rubber in between?

I cut out a 1" thick doughnut shaped piece of

foam rubber and it now works just fine. Very Happy
Ray White

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the number of things that have gone wrong, I wonder if someone is trying to tell me something?

You couldn't make it up. This time the ignition warning light has broken. It is not as if I am a heavy handed type of person; just the opposite in fact... but with just a slight turn of a terminal screw, the light has broken in two.

It wouldn't be so bad but the way I have trimmed the dash means the warning light bezel hides the join around the hole in the plywood; thus the shoulder of the light is trapped under the leather.

To get the light out without making too much of a mess, I have had to make small cuts in the leather around the hole. Hopefully a new light can be fitted without it showing.

Of course, typically, the replacements are not quite the same and a fair amount of fettling will be needed to get it to fit. Rolling Eyes

Last edited by Ray White on Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray White wrote:
Of course, typically, the replacements are not quite the same and a fair amount of fettling will be needed to get it to fit. Rolling Eyes

I would imagine it is a Lucas WL3 (has the coil wrapped around the housing) in which case the replacements are physically identical, so you should be alright fitting it.

Dave
Ray White

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ukdave2002 wrote:
Ray White wrote:

I would imagine it is a Lucas WL3 (has the coil wrapped around the housing) in which case the replacements are physically identical, so you should be alright fitting it.

Dave

As can be seen, there is a spring and a retaining ring; these will presumably need to be removed.
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From memory, there is a horseshoe clip that needs to be removed, the lamp is fitted from the rear of the dash without the lens and chrome bezel attached, then the horseshoe clip is fitted on the front of the dash against the resistance of the spring. The bulb and lens can then be fitted.

Some of the reproduction WL3 lamps, have a resistance coil that is just decorative, quite why they bother I do not know as it won?t be seen! These must not be fitted with the normal 2.5v bulbs as they won?t last long.
bjacko

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 7:04 am    Post subject: WL3 Lights Reply with quote

On my 8 they are retained by the chrome bezel and glass. The bulb is always 2.5 volts for 6v or 12v systems according to Lucas. Other bulbs are too dim. Never heard of a short life with the 2.5v bulb.
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lamp holder shouldn't come out when the chrome bezel is unscrewed, unscrewing the bezel allows you to change the bulb, there is a horseshoe clip that needs to be removed to remove the fitting.

The reason I mention short bulb life with some of the reproduction WL3's is that they lack the (real) resistive coil that limits current, so a 2.5v bulb wont last long, another reason why putting a purely decorative winding on them is not a great idea! Shocked

Thinking about Rays situation, I'm wondering if the bulb holder is fitted in the wooden part of the dash? The original WL3's were designed to be fitted to a thin metal dash, there is no way of holding them in a thicker wooden dash without a metal adapter and that involves having a larger hole in the wood, possibly this is why Ray's lamp has failed if its been a tight fit in the wood, that would tend to compress the fitting?

Dave
Ray White

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ukdave2002 wrote:

Thinking about Rays situation, I'm wondering if the bulb holder is fitted in the wooden part of the dash? The original WL3's were designed to be fitted to a thin metal dash, there is no way of holding them in a thicker wooden dash without a metal adapter and that involves having a larger hole in the wood, possibly this is why Ray's lamp has failed if its been a tight fit in the wood, that would tend to compress the fitting?

Dave

That is exactly the situation. I have chosen to fit the warning light into the plywood dash and not in the metal instrument panel. It was held in place as a tight push fit with thin leather tangs to help. I don't think it was crushed at all. It was probably cracked before I got the car.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 60, 61, 62, 63, 64  Next
Page 61 of 64

Jump to: