classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

MG TC
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 61, 62, 63, 64  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc

Do you like or dislike the new dashboard ?
Yes I do like the new dashboard
100%
 100%  [ 7 ]
No I do not like the new dashboard
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 7

Ray White

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent the morning (faffing about as Jean would say) trying to replace the ignition warning light. I removed the spring, retainer and horse shoe clip as I have done before but then a piece of solder fell off. It was the solder that ties the fine resistor wire to the earth terminal.

Having soldered it I attempted to refit the light to the dash. Unfortunately, the body of the replacement holder is marginally bigger than the original...so it wouldn't go in the hole.

I will persevere with a round file.

Rolling Eyes

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

It has been a frustrating day. Having made the hole big enough and fitted the warning light to the dash I managed to snap off the hollow brass conductor. I was being pretty gentle with it too.

Fortunately I was able to swap over the middle of the old fitting but instead of 2 BA it had a 3/16" BSF thread and I only had the one nut. I spent a lot of valuable daylight looking for another one.

Long story short; the light now works O.K. Very Happy
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray White wrote:
I spent a lot of valuable daylight looking for another one.

That's the story of my "restoration" life! Mad

Glad its sorted Very Happy
Ray White

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ukdave2002 wrote:
Ray White wrote:

At least I am not alone. The frustrating thing is that in what seemed like a Groundhog Day I knew I had bought some new 3/16" BSF brass nuts for a similar problem last year. I eventually found them in a packet, in a plastic container, in a box in a shed I don't go in very often. I probably put them there for "safe keeping".

If I had emptied them into my tin of BSF nuts I would have saved myself a lot of time... Rolling Eyes
Ray White

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Among other things that need connecting up, the main beam warning light is next on the "to do" list.

I have a wire coming from a relay to join to a wire that operates the switch. At that junction I am using a double combination bullet connector to connect another wire that goes to the warning light.
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray White wrote:
ukdave2002 wrote:
Ray White wrote:

At least I am not alone. The frustrating thing is that in what seemed like a Groundhog Day I knew I had bought some new 3/16" BSF brass nuts for a similar problem last year. I eventually found them in a packet, in a plastic container, in a box in a shed I don't go in very often. I probably put them there for "safe keeping".

If I had emptied them into my tin of BSF nuts I would have saved myself a lot of time... Rolling Eyes

The amount of stuff I put away for "safe keeping" and never see again is beyond ridiculous... I never ever ever remember where I put stuff!
Ray White

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a feeling that one of my design changes is coming back to bite me. I thought that a leather trim finish to the car would be an improvement over vinyl. I should have made more of an allowance for the difference in the respective thickness between the two materials.

Where the leather is folded over the edge of the dashboard and stuck down behind it, is also where the leather piping flanges go. This triple thickness of leather has the effect of holding the dashboard away from the frame. It is more noticeable across the top because piping is absent from the bottom.

I may have to cut away one of the piping flanges across the top ...and perhaps add a layer of leather packing at the bottom, to get it looking right.
Ray White

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wiring under the dash is now coming together. I keep wishing I had kept it simple ...but if everything works as intended, then it will have probably have been worth all the extra work.

(At least, that is what I tell myself! Shocked )
Ray White

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is only now that I am beginning to discover that (even allowing for the thickness of the leather ) the dashboard has been made about 1/4" too deep. The problem is trying to fit the piping around the ends so that it allows enough space for the doors to close.

I can see from photos of other cars that the same problem must have occurred frequently in the past. The only solution - as far as I can see - is to pare down the plywood at the ends of the dashboard. This will entail unsticking some of the leather and re forming the mitred ends of the chrome beading; a task which I should be quite good at by now!!!
Ray White

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One week on and I am not much closer to getting the dashboard in... despite a lot of chiselling and drum sanding with the Dremel! This is probably the most frustrating job I have ever attempted on a car but at least I know what I want it to look like.

Lack of experience, of course, is my downfall but I am now thinking I must first tack the piping to the frame (so it can't move about) and alter the dashboard to suit.
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you not make some recesses with a wood router?
Ray White

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ukdave2002 wrote:
Could you not make some recesses with a wood router?

So I have the piping; now with a smaller diameter - with V slots cut out of the flanges at 1" intervals - now tacked in place on the frame. I have removed one the flanges so it is now half thickness.

Further paring back the of dashboard ends and re forming the chrome beading - carefully re making mitred corners by eye - then sticking the leather down again and screwing the beading back on...I have at last got the dashboard to fit.

The tricky bit is getting the piping to fold back under the dash in the corners, without leaving a sharp mitred corner of chrome beading sticking out. It can't be too proud or the door won't shut. Theoretically, the piping on the door should squish up to the piping on the frame to form a seal.

(Yes, I know, I know, it's an open top car!!)

Even with the hood fitted, these cars are known to be leaky. ! Very Happy
Ray White

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to have cut off two brackets from the ends of the chassis rails Shocked

Actually, they are ugly, incorrect and do not work with my new registration number backing plate. I have ordered two new ones that will allow me to fit the D lamps and number plate. This time they will be bolted into the holes provided rather than welded.

These are made especially for the T series cars by the same guy who made (and delivered) the backing plate yesterday. They are exact replicas of the original and are very well made and powder coated.

Ray White

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a new car in 1949, TC 10030 was supplied by
Peter Lloyd in Sydney. I have just found this:

https://collection.fletcherarchives.co.nz/objects/59626/fletcher-construction-co-ltd-australian-operations-1963-peter-lloyd-car-showroom-avoca-street-randwick-sydney-nsw-australia-exterior

Further research is needed but it would be good to know more about this apparently successful new car dealer.

An advertisement sourced via Google:

Ray White

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I bought my new "spinner" for the spare wheel, I assumed it would be a faithful copy of the origin but when compared it becomes obvious that the new part does not have a taper.

This, I believe, is the cause of the floppy fit of the spare wheel.

What to do about it has left me scratching my head!

bjacko

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 6:19 am    Post subject: Spinner Reply with quote

Have you tried the tape plumbers use to tighten threads?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 61, 62, 63, 64  Next
Page 62 of 64

Jump to: