classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

A40 (Devon) Countryman 1952
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Your Adverts & Ebay 'finds'
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:18 pm    Post subject: A40 (Devon) Countryman 1952 Reply with quote

Hi all,

Having dabbled with A40 ownership over several years some time ago, this rare old Countryman was worth a second look in the listings. Apparently it's a non-runner - a conversion to an A60 engine was commenced but not completed - so there's work to do to get it moving again, but quite a nice example and useful too once sorted out.

This is a mid-production example - note the painted grille as fitted to contemporary vans and pickups, but still with the removeable rear wheel spats that would disappear on later examples.

https://ebay.to/2qsgrww

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Rootes75

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say Rick that this would be a very handy little vehicle for carting stuff around in and also taking all the family about in!

I think I would still rather have the pick up variant but these all look nice whatever the body style.
emmerson

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had one of these a lifetime ago, but I remember it having a split tailgate, not doors. That fact sticks in my mind as the top half fell off when the hinges broke! I think it also had a floor gear change, but it was a long,long time ago!
Keith D

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What an interesting vehicle. The seller seems to be very familiar with the A40 range.

I was intrigued by his claim that an MGB front end will go straight onto the A40 to enable disc brakes. Has anybody on the forum actually done this modification? If feasible, it's a mod I would dearly like to fit on my A40 Tourer. Even with A70 front brake drums I have fitted, I would like the improvement of discs. My Austin brakes were never very good for high speed cruising. (I have the 1620 engine and A70 diff.)

My car is earlier, 1950, and is only fitted with front wheel hydraulics instead of the 4 wheel hydraulics on the 1952 Countryman advertised, but this should only affect the adjustment of my bisector unit for my rear mechanical brakes.

Keith
1999 BMW Z3
Its weird being the same age as old people.
You are either part of the problem or part of the solution
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Your Adverts & Ebay 'finds' All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: