classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Update on classic car use during lockdown
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Kenham

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That of course depends on the severity of the accident. Then of course the moon might fall from the sky , an aeroplane might crash in front of you and the world will end before your very eyes. Then of course you might not have an accident and all will be well.
Riley Blue

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kenham wrote:
That of course depends on the severity of the accident. Then of course the moon might fall from the sky , an aeroplane might crash in front of you and the world will end before your very eyes. Then of course you might not have an accident and all will be well.

Of course but I can tell you one thing with 100% certainty: my friends in the NHS won't thank you should you turn up with a steering column sticking out of your chest or a face lacerated by a windscreen when you had a choice of driving a safer car.

Your choice.

1963 Riley 1.5
1965 Riley 1.5
Peter_L

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentlemen...…… please, I think you may have lost the plot. Please refer to the date on which Dave made his post. I think we all have enough to put up with just now...
Riley Blue

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter_L wrote:
Gentlemen...…… please, I think you may have lost the plot. Please refer to the date on which Dave made his post. I think we all have enough to put up with just now...

Yet still people are asking whether it's OK to go for a drive in their classics.

1963 Riley 1.5
1965 Riley 1.5
alastairq

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
choosing to drive a classic car rather than your airbag, disc brake, crumple zone equipped modern one is going to increase the severity of any injuries should you be involved in an accident.

Oddly, of all the daily multitude of road traffic collisions reported on the BBC new local to me, all the serious injuries and fatalities seem to involve modern cars....

Having disc brakes, ABS ESP, airbags, etc doesn't stop one dying in a collision.
Especially if an older person?

But, given today's paucity of traffic, with drivers stupid or otherwise.....the most dangerous pastime I currently witness is the proliferation of long distance cyclists?
More likely to suffer heart attacks, strokes, etc, not forgetting simply falling off, or knocking each other off?
But still, perhaps, requiring hospital treatment in Casualty...or whatever name that department goes by these days?

Just by remaining at home, indoors, does not preclude one from eventually needing the ministrations of paramedics.....after all, the 'home' is the most dangerous place to be right now...given the numbers of home-based accidents, injuries, and illnesses that prevail?

Claiming the risk of more serious injury simply from driving an old motor really doesn't wash.
Elevate one's driving skill levels so one minimises the risk of sustaining such injuries in the first instance. Simples.....
----------------------------------------------
Ford Pop chassis, Ashley 1172 bodyshell, in pieces.
Rootes75

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must hold my hands up!

I have just driven our 47 Minx out in the glorious sunshine...

Sounds lovely but in truth it was a half mile drive taking her to our new house down the other end of the village!
Penman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
My son in law's parents live just over 90 mls from him, and are in the notified high risk category.
He is the only person who can keep them supplied with food etc. by doing it where he lives and then taking it to them about fortnightly.
They are new to their area and none of us know how trustworthy any stranger is who might be doing shopping.

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
lowdrag

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you've persuaded me to get one of mine out. Hmm - do I want to die drowning in my saliva or with a steering column in my heart? Tomorrow it will be 23C and in the last two weeks I have never seen a rozzer. But I have noticed just how the daily traffic, which was virtually nil last Saturday, has tripled if not quadrupled this morning. I may well put a can in the back of the classic and fill it up with 10 litres of diesel for the daily, which has the warning light on.
Clactonguy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:04 pm    Post subject: driving our cars Reply with quote

took opportunity of laying car up for three months, getting a 6 month extension to MOT too! nice. car taxed but had a chat with insurance company and they want suspend or cancel unless I pay a fee more than letting it run! so will get a new quote when ready for road. currently fixing heater unit and waiting new carpets . eventually will want to road test it see if. any coolant leaks then arrange a fresh MOT ( ignoring whatever I left ) I will use car for shopping or dropping medications off at mum inlaws. (93 disabled) not worried about police seeing me in car but won't leave it alone in supermarket car park .. always one or two whom might take offence ( even though legal) and take it out on the car! lest hope we are still about next year!
roverdriver

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I admit that Aussie restrictions because of the Wuhan Virus are less onerous than in the U.K., but I have no hesitation in driving any of the three cars we own at any time, and none have airbags, ABS or any other so-called safety features.

Those wonderful features still allow people to be killed in their cars, so I wonder at their overall effectiveness. Making a car (or any other mechanical device) 'safe' frequently leads to the operator giving over personal responsibility to the machine and forgetting how to behave in a 'safe' manner. The car has all those features, it will surely look after me!!!!

I will continue to use our 1950 and 1959 Rover P4's as well as our 'modern' the 1982 SD1, whenever and wherever the mood strikes me, making some allowance for the rules surrounding the Wuhan Wog for now.
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: driving our cars Reply with quote

Clactonguy wrote:
took opportunity of laying car up for three months, getting a 6 month extension to MOT too! nice. car taxed but had a chat with insurance company and they want suspend or cancel unless I pay a fee more than letting it run! so will get a new quote when ready for road. currently fixing heater unit and waiting new carpets . eventually will want to road test it see if. any coolant leaks then arrange a fresh MOT ( ignoring whatever I left ) I will use car for shopping or dropping medications off at mum inlaws. (93 disabled) not worried about police seeing me in car but won't leave it alone in supermarket car park .. always one or two whom might take offence ( even though legal) and take it out on the car! lest hope we are still about next year!

I have been less worried than usual about supermarket car parks. Find a space that's in plain view of people queueing to get in to said supermarket and any suspicious activity around the car is going to be spotted straight away.
alastairq

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone report on a reduction in tailgating these days??
----------------------------------------------
Ford Pop chassis, Ashley 1172 bodyshell, in pieces.
Rootes75

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have continued to work throughout the current situation and commute 30 miles each way to work.

There are so few cars on the road now but you would not believe the increase in tailgating, overtaking in 20 and 30mph zones and general abandonment of careful driving practices.

One particular village is very often frequented by the camera van so keeping to 30mph is imperative, not anymore though. On Thursday I got tailgated by 2 cars in said village before both over took after flashing their lights and giving me hand gestures to speed up!!

Sometimes you can feel quite ashamed of the human race.
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alastairq wrote:
Can anyone report on a reduction in tailgating these days??

Sadly not. One thing I have noticed is that cats seem to be losing their fear of traffic, the numbers I've nearly run over in the last couple of weeks is shocking. And the ones sunbathing in the middle of the road won't move until you stop and shout at them out the window!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: