classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Anyone tried judging cars at shows?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:49 am    Post subject: Anyone tried judging cars at shows? Reply with quote

I've never tried it, nor plan to, and it always strikes me as being incredibly difficult to do - judging cars at a show in order to award prizes for the day.

Do you prioritise condition over originality? Do you mark a car down for upgrades, or only those upgrades that feature modern tech instead of period mods? If a car has been driven a great distance to a show, does that gain extra plus points over a car driven just a couple of miles, say?

Something of a mindfield I suspect, I just wondered if anyone here has tried it?

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Rootes75

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I havent and tbh I havent ever entered one of our cars into a show where there are prizes given.
lowdrag

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judging concours has its "moments" I can assure you. That's when everyone knows everything except you. My favourite moment, having deducted points, and after being harangued and harassed, I asked the entrant where he had found the 1961 air to pump up the tyres. People just don't understand that if they enter a serious club concours, and not the village fete, "bright and shiny" doesn't cut the mustard. It is down to detail, to the n'th degree. The usual errors? Stone chip paint and not body paint underneath, and wrong pressure radiator cap are the most common. And the amount of money some people will spend to get their car right and get their name on the club trophy is astounding. It can run well into six figures to make the car perfect. They can never drive it of course, because it might get a stone chip. Nowt so queer as folk.
Ray White

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have only been asked to judge on one occasion and that was at a Morris Minor Club event many years ago.

I caused something of a stir because I marked down an entrant who was expected to come first. The car was an immaculate Traveller. It was perfect on top but underneath was a different story. The quality of the welding in my opinion left much to be desired.

Another car, on the other hand, was also nice throughout but similar repairs had been carried out well. Very well indeed... and to be honest I had no doubt about it as a car that I would have happily taken home.

The disgruntled mutterings and behind my back comments left me wishing I had declined the offer.
emmerson

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never judged cars, but used to judge stationary engines.
I always talked to the owner/exhibitor; I wanted to know how/what/where and any other detail he/she knew about his exhibit. If he'd just signed a cheque for someone else to do the work, he had no chance.
I almost caused a riot once when I awarded the cup to a 14 year-old boy for his common or garden Lister D, over some huge immaculate American import which everyone expected to win.
The boy had not only done all the work himself, but he had researched the engine's history, too. The other guy had simply imported his engine. Yes, it was rare, but that, in my opinion didn't make it a winner.
Keith D

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never judged at a concours.

If the club concerned is a one make or one model club, then fair and accurate judging is possible. When the club concerned is any make or model, accurate and fair judging is impossible as the owner who has restored his car will almost certainly know far more about his particular model that the judge who has to compare vastly different cars. His knowledge cannot match the owner restorer who has spent vast amounts of time on the detective work needed to restore a particular vehicle accurately.

I attended a concours held in the Borders of Scotland/England many years ago. I was with a friend who had restored his early thirties Austin 12 to an incredibly beautiful and accurate standard. I suggested that he might just win the concours. He laughed in my face. "With an Austin? You must be joking. The winner will be the club president with the vintage Bentley and second will be the club secretary with his Alvis." He was right. The Bentley and the Alvis were both nice, but scruffy, but they were "the right sort of car".

I have never attended a concours since, either in the UK or Australia.

Keith
1999 BMW Z3
Its weird being the same age as old people.
You are either part of the problem or part of the solution
lowdrag

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I said above, judging is a can of worms. You can never win really, whatever car you choose. Whether it is apocryphal or not I remember the story of the Aston Martin concours where the decision on the winner was made on the basis that he had polished the interior of the exhaust. If I were asked to judge a concours of a mixture of cars, not one make, my winner, as said above, would be the most interesting owner who had done if not all then a lot of the work himself and who showed a real understanding a love of the marque. Emmerson and Keith D take a bow please. I've had enough trouble with the freemasons in the golf club hierarchy, all from the same lodge, and all following one another as Captain and President. I prefer to remain independent and judge each car accordingly.
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't think of anything less that I'd want to do!
It strikes me that its only ever a cosmetic assessment and always subjective, the state of mechanical bits can never be properly assessed...

Dave
Ray White

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think our collective experiences speak with one voice. "Can of worms" just about sums it up.

However... there was one particular Morris Minor Club show I remember where the entrant deserved a special prize simply for his tenacity.

The chap had a low light Morris Minor which was as near as factory original as it is possible to get. I was amazed to learn that he didn't have a garage and lived in a terraced house. The car was completely dismantled and every single component had to be taken through the house to a shed in the back garden where it was restored before being taken back through the house again and refitted to the car.!

That, in my book, is dedication well deserving of an award. Wink
Penman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
ukdave2002 wrote:
It strikes me that its only ever a cosmetic assessment and always subjective, the state of mechanical bits can never be properly assessed...
Dave

I do like the "cosmetic" comment.
Like; are all screw slots aligned properly with each pther, are all hexagons, nuts and bolts, set in the same orientation?

A derogatory name for who comment on such faults is "Rivet Counters"

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
lowdrag

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Penman wrote:
Hi
ukdave2002 wrote:
Dave

I do like the "cosmetic" comment.
Like; are all screw slots aligned properly with each pther, are all hexagons, nuts and bolts, set in the same orientation?

A derogatory name for who comment on such faults is "Rivet Counters"

I think thou dost protest too much here. What we look for is originality, or the nearest thing to it. For years mild steel exhausts were not to be found, so stainless was accepted, and continues to be accepted even though on can find mild steel ones now. One only goes to the n'th degree to differentiate between two comparable cars to see which is the best. I don't think I have mentioned looking at the rivets holding the wheel to the boss, have I? Well, were the rivets hand-hammered or fixed by a machine? I have never in my life had to go to such an extent and to be fair, the number of entrants are far fewer then they were years ago. We have never looked at "screw alignment" but Philips screw holding the bezels on is an obvious fault. Similarly, Jubilee clips were screw-only fixings and did not have the hexagonal nut fitting, and all of these parts are readily available.

The "mechanical bits"; The engine is started and we listen attentively, since even before arriving at the back of the car the noise will tell us whether it is a standard or big bore exhaust. Remember that the definition of concours is "as it came out of the factory". Now don't all laugh - we know that these were production cars and today they are brighter and shinier than Jaguar could ever conceive, but we are there to give advice and to judge within the confines of what we can judge. It is supposed to be a pastime, but like the biggest carrot or leek, it can develop into something more like a war at times. If an early Jaguar, I expect to open the bonnet and see the engine correctly painted, the Champion "bow-tie" plug caps, shiny brass dash pot covers and a host of other things. And the entrant should know this. If we are in a bad mood I can demand to see the dynamo date on the casing to see if it corresponds to the car's age, but I have never been in that bad a mood!

While there is still a demand for concours, well, someone has to do it, and there are people far more knowledgeable than me I can assure you. And it can be fun if everyone takes it in the proper way.
Rootes75

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emmerson wrote:
I've never judged cars, but used to judge stationary engines.
I always talked to the owner/exhibitor; I wanted to know how/what/where and any other detail he/she knew about his exhibit. If he'd just signed a cheque for someone else to do the work, he had no chance.
I almost caused a riot once when I awarded the cup to a 14 year-old boy for his common or garden Lister D, over some huge immaculate American import which everyone expected to win.
The boy had not only done all the work himself, but he had researched the engine's history, too. The other guy had simply imported his engine. Yes, it was rare, but that, in my opinion didn't make it a winner.

What a good thing to do, I really like the idea of awarding someone for what they have done rather than what they can afford.
lowdrag

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rootes75 wrote:

What a good thing to do, I really like the idea of awarding someone for what they have done rather than what they can afford.

Which is why the JDC have two classes, the second being the Endeavour class for those who have done the work - or most of it - themselves.
consul 57

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have not been asked to judge cars but i have been asked to judge tank models at a model show, (i am a pro modeler).
i found it hard to do at first as there were those that had been built straight from the box whilst others had loads of added extras fitted at extra cost.
in the end i chose one that stood out, not the most accurate and not the most expensive but it just apealed to me for some reason.
the winner asked why i had chosen his model and i could only tell him the same.
not an easy job if you like a particular period of cars and styles.
DPP

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think judging at an all makes car show is just a matter of choosing something nice but also something you like, sort of which car would you want to take home, as you cant be an expert on all marques.

Club concours is a much more serious matter as lowdrag has said.

There does seem to be a sharp drop in entrants overs the last few years, and with prices steadily rising with my chosen marque I would have thought this would have encouraged some to invest in originality and the prestige of winning such an event.

I seem to get lots of whinging about having to have a correct toolkit and so dont want to enter. I have tried to explain that it would enhance a nice car and look much better the day they come to sell the car, and have even shown them how to gradually put one together at little cost rather than pay silly money when one turns up for sale.

Sadly though I think the days of large entries are behind us and now each year the struggle is to get enough cars to actually run a competition.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: