classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Austin A40 Devon pickup
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
Miken

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I decided to strip the l/h door as the paint was very bad.
I was surprised to find that someone had done an expert repair to the bottom of the door. Invisible on both the outside and inside.
However, they had decided not to repair the front 150mm of the door bottom and it was now a bit frilly with rust around the edge.
I have cut out that front corner and made a new door skin repair section and inner corner part.

Miken

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My roof/gutter repair went quite well and im pleased with the result.

Last edited by Miken on Sun Aug 29, 2021 12:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Miken

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive been driving around in the truck the last week after completing my bodywork repairs.
Its the school holidays and the roads are horribly busy.
Ive been feeling a bit vulnerable mixing it with all the traffic so I decided its time to supplement the trafficators with flashing indicators and flashing led trafficators.
I purchased some amber glass lenses and the side lights have now become indicators. I carried out a bit of surgery to the back end with a hole saw and fitted new units there.
It was all quite straightforward although if you want to retain the trafficators you have to use 2 flasher relays or you will end up with the trafficators flapping up and down which, whilst amusing, serves no useful purpose.
http://www.loopybunny.co.uk/A30/Images/ind_a30.jpg

Miken

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see from the picture above that I need to investigate why my bonnet catch isn't holding.
I definitely shut it before I set off for this trip.
Keith D

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think using both the trafficators and flashers together are as safe as you can make it when driving in busy traffic.

I would love to be able to do the same with my A40 tourer, but I have no door pillars of course, so I can't.

That ute's a fantastic looking car Mike. The separate tray looks so much better than the one piece Aussie ute body.

Keith
1999 BMW Z3
Its weird being the same age as old people.
You are either part of the problem or part of the solution
Ray White

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I remember correctly, my MG TC did not originally have any indicators; which for 1949 I would have thought was behind the times especially as pre War midgets had traficators.

T series cars exported to the USA coupled the stop lights as indicators which I have never been very keen on.

When my Father in Law wired my Austin A30 for flashing indicators, he didn't have the trafficators flashing as well because he said it would be too complicated to do. I just took his word for it.
alastairq

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
T series cars exported to the USA coupled the stop lights as indicators which I have never been very keen on.

That seems to be a general rule for US cars as a whole.

With reference to my ['67} Ford Mustang...along with most other US cars I knew of, the brake lights also doubled as indicators, The switch isolating the appropriate brake light circuit, and emplacing the indicator flasher circuit. Thus, when indicating, only one brake light works!

This makes life quite awkward when importing said motors to the UK, where the brake lights and indicators must be separated and work independently of each other.
Some try convoluted re-wiring....On mine the previous owners simply installed a Brightlights LED conversion array, which has separate arrays for brake, side & indicator circuits, all within the original [red] tail light assemblies. [replacing three not very incandescent bulbs!}
But the LED system shows red for brake lights {& side lights}, but amber for the indicators, in a bar across the centre...invisible until operated.

Clever stuff...and when I had one 'set' of 3 LEDs plus resistance{?} blow, the owner of Brightlights sent me free gratis some replacement parts...although I had to do the soldering.

{ There are well over 100 LEDs [and resistances] in each rear lighting panel]
----------------------------------------------
Ford Pop chassis, Ashley 1172 bodyshell, in pieces.
Ray White

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I considered doing the brake/indicator conversion on my Swallow which has the same kind of D lamps as the MG but I discovered that such a retro fit would have been illegal in the U.K.
Miken

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On 2 occasions this year I have stopped at traffic lights and a car has pulled up alongside and I've been told that my brake lights aren't working.
I've gone home and checked them and they were working fine!
I put this down to the characteristics of old cars with long stroke engines.
If you want to slow down you take your foot off the accelerator and you slow down. In my modern car if I do this, very little happens for a long time.
So I think that often, I don't actually use the brakes very much which is the cause of the problem.
Having said that, my next job is going to be to add some additional brake lights for extra safety. I don't think the ones I've got show up all that well in daylight.
I reckon I can hang something under the rear bumper without having to drill any extra holes.
Miken

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keith D wrote:

That ute's a fantastic looking car Mike. The separate tray looks so much better than the one piece Aussie ute body.

Keith

Keith,
Looking at pictures of Aussie Utes. I think that they may have an advantage over my type of cab. As a 6 footer, it's a bit cramped for me. The seat is hard up against the back of the cab. The utes look as if they may have a bit more room for seat adjustment and leg room.
I have manage to cheat and gain slightly more leg room by going upwards instead of backwards.
I fitted 50mm tall wooden blocks under the seat frame which has helped, but ideally I would like a bit more.
MVPeters

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flashing trafficators:
I think Peter Scott has the solution to incorporate flashing indicators with trafficators. Peter?.....

Combined red rear brake & turn signals:
In the US there is a conversion kit to allow US cars with combined brake & turn lights to be used with Euro-style trailer lighting with separate amber turn lights. It should be adaptable to the A30 or TC wiring.
peter scott

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.dynamoregulatorconversions.com/festoon-bulbs.php

Also: http://www.nostalgiatech.co.uk/LED%20Lighting.htm

I think there are two sizes of end caps now so my comments about squashing them are probably redundant now.

Peter
Keith D

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

Some years ago a study was made about how noticeable brake lights were to following cars. The results showed that higher mounted brake lights were seen better and resulted in far fewer rear end shunts.

Perhaps you could mount a wide, thin brake light at the top of your rear window inside the cab. Being higher it would be seen easier than an extra light low down under the bumper.

Keith
1999 BMW Z3
Its weird being the same age as old people.
You are either part of the problem or part of the solution
alastairq

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am with Miken regarding usage of the brake pedal!

If a following driver has a problem with my not using the pedal, they're too darned close to begin with.
----------------------------------------------
Ford Pop chassis, Ashley 1172 bodyshell, in pieces.
Ray White

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Constable, you can't have an MG...where would you put the dog?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 7 of 13

Jump to: