classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Cheap car respraying
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration
landroverowner

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:42 am    Post subject: Cheap car respraying Reply with quote

I am trying to find someone to do a respray on my 110 landrover.

Can anyone recommend a good but cheap resprayer, and tell me approximately how is likely to cost.

I'm based in london, but would take the car to within 100 miles of london.

Thanks

r
rustyreks

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:48 am    Post subject: cheap respray Reply with quote

What about local land rover enthusiasts or local clubs must be a spray painter or someone who can recommend.Most vintage car clubs have people they like to recommend although not necessarily cheap.Thecheapest method is to do the job your self why not buy a video from frosts on how to and maybe hire the equipment hopefully you know someone who has some experience can help you and you learn at the same time. I have just bought a video and it is not as hard as you would think although i will let you know how i get on.Another option is to use coach paints and paint with a brush or spray cans.Food for thought hope that is helpful just keep asking and someone i am sure will help.brent nz
FIFTIES CRUISER

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi,
for a reasonable finish I can recoomend AUTOSPRAYS Oakley Road Luton Beds. About 5/6 years ago they resprayed my ford Consul in two tone for £350. There was the odd run and you need to remove badges, door handles etc. otherwise these items including the windows just get masked off.
richard 2509

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FIFTIES CRUISER wrote:
hi,
for a reasonable finish I can recoomend AUTOSPRAYS Oakley Road Luton Beds. About 5/6 years ago they resprayed my ford Consul in two tone for £350. There was the odd run and you need to remove badges, door handles etc. otherwise these items including the windows just get masked off.

hello.....did you have to prep the car yourself or was that included in the price?
FIFTIES CRUISER

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Autosprays did all the rubbing down although I had to fill a few holes I had on the wings and wheel arches.
FIFTIES CRUISER

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Autosprays did all the rubbing down although I had to fill a few holes I had on the wings and wheel arches.
crownpoint

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:28 am    Post subject: Brush painting vehicles Reply with quote

In the 60's I worked in a commercial vehicle coach building shop. Lorries, buses and vans were regularly hand painted in those days. I wasn't a painter but I did note the essentials. As an apprentice with no money to spare I often hand painted my vehicles. This is what I do now to my commercials.
Buy good quality house hold gloss paint.
Choose a good quality brush; not a special brush, just one with natural bristles and 30 -40mm wide.
Obviously stir the paint well.
The paint in the tin is always too thick for best results so you will need to thin it. I thin it with cellulose thinners as it shortens the drying time.
How thin? Test it. Brush it in all directions to spread it in an even coat. If you have reached the desired viscosity it will self level and the brush marks will be invisible. Don't over thin! Clearly, you must observe all the best practices regarding surface preparation atmospherics etc.
PAUL BEAUMONT

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It needs to be borne in mind that some of the Landy is aluminium so probably an etching primer etc will be needed on any bare metal. That said, I suggest trying any local coach or commercial vehicle company for a lead. Their vehicles are repainted and reliveried frequently
PAUL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: