classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Un-converting an LED conversion
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 4:34 pm    Post subject: Un-converting an LED conversion Reply with quote

The wiring on the Volvo, where modifications have been made, is not great. At some point someone has installed LED lights all round, which a) look ridiculous when they're turned on b) don't function properly c) may actually be an MOT fail as it was never designed for them in the first place.

Anyway, long-term I'd like to put it back to how it should be.

I assume it's not just a case of binning the LED bulb units and replacing with normal bulbs? I've seen a mysterious box of wizardry under the bonnet which has something about LED lamps written on it, but what else is likely to have been done when the conversion was first undertaken?

ta, RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Crashbox

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With regard to the MOT, if the car was registered before April 1986 then LEDs are perfectly legal (this change came in back in March this year), even headlamp bulbs can be changed to LEDs.

When it comes to 6v pre-war electrics, then LEDs are very much the way forward Cool
lowdrag

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Owning an E-type with two candle-power headlights, I cannot see the sense in going backwards and having so little light. I have seen E-types that have been converted, and to be able to read the instruments, to see in front of you to have a decent map light, is a wonderment, as the americans say. I am awaiting the new LED bulbs for the old PL700 "ban the bomb" headlights to be available and then every bulb in my car will be changed.
Ray White

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some people I have spoken to have reservations about the beam 'scatter' of LED headlamps, so I have chosen to upgrade from traditional bulbs to Halogen that fit the original reflectors. I think they also look better.
MVPeters

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Un-converting an LED conversion Reply with quote

Rick wrote:
The wiring on the Volvo, where modifications have been made, is not great. At some point someone has installed LED lights all around, which a) look ridiculous when they're turned on b) don't function properly c) may actually be an MOT fail as it was never designed for them in the first place.
Anyway, long-term I'd like to put it back to how it should be.
I assume it's not just a case of binning the LED bulb units and replacing them with normal bulbs? I've seen a mysterious box of wizardry under the bonnet that has something about LED lamps written on it, but what else is likely to have been done when the conversion was first undertaken?
ta, RJ

Rick
The wizardry box is most likely to correct the flash rate of LED directionals which don't provide the correct 2x 21W load for a Lucas/Bosch flasher unit. If the original flasher unit is still being used, you should be able to just disconnect the wizardry box.

For all the other bulbs, you should be able to go back to the original styles. I do, however, recommend upgraded LED tail & brake lights for safety & to compensate for older degraded lens & reflectors.

The problem with 99% of LED headlamp bulbs is that the 'filament' is much larger & often in the wrong place = tons of glare & little useful light on the road. Philips (& others) make excellent upgraded halogen bulbs in most styles - look for >> Philips X-treme <<

If you have a 'bulb-out' warning, it may be triggered by LEDs.

Edit: PS - if you choose LEDs for the brake/tail lights, get red ones behind red lenses or you get pink!
norustplease

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that LED's are a great boon as far as road safety is concerned if you are using your car in modern traffic. I have all of my cars converted in terms of sidelights, brake lights and indicators. They may look different, but for me, safety considerations take over from aesthetics, especially if you are likely to be tail ended or sideswiped by someone rushing past in their Audi/BMW who hasn't seen your lights. I would consider a high level brake light in the rear window as well, that could still be a period accessory.
As for headlights, I haven't fitted any of these but am aware of several fellow classic owners who have and who speak very highly of their performance. certainly the ones on the Morris 10 that I was looking at one night a few weeks ago looked anything but odd.
Boring Tucson SUV
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: