classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Hot starting problem
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
old iron

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:32 pm    Post subject: Hot starting problem Reply with quote

My new stead, Austin cotswold campervan, has the original BMC ‘B’ engine
1622cc all standard except head worked for use of unleaded petrol.
The engine starts very easily from cold and runs just beautifully. The previous owner did advise me that restarting from hot was troublesome. I have yet to find out for myself as I have only just purchased the vehicle. But I will assume that what he advised me of is truefull.
I note the vehicle has an additional electric fuel pump, new copper fuel line from the tank to engine. It has a wide gasket from the carb (SU)to manifold, I assume heat gasket. Clearly to me this says some effort to cure hot start issues to no avail.
Comments and advise appreciated.
alastairq

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Hot Start' issues face many of us, entirely due to modern day petrol, and something called 'cyclic variability'....something which plagues all engines, but mostly overcome these days by the use of electronics,etc.
Mind, the engine bay on your camper will be a good source of excess heat too..

Is there a heat shield between carb and exhaust manifold?
One can be made up if such a thing is absent.
Also, to reduce the effect of the above phenomenon, try using 98 octane 'super' petrol?
[Note, this is nowt to do with the current ethanol crisis being promoted in popular media]
The super petrol will help the exhaust run cooler.

The electric pump will help offset any fuel boiling going on at the carb.
A better system [taking a leaf out of Datsun's book] is to have a 'supply' and 'return' fuel line, with the carb literally tee'd off it..the return line being smaller bore than the supply line. This keeps the fuel flowing constantly through the fuel lines, preventing it from sitting static near excessive heat.
However, that may well prove a step too far if trying to keep things 'original?'

Make sure the ignition timing isn't too retarded...a tad advanced is best I feel...also ensure the distributor's mechanical advance is appropriate for the vehicle the engine is used in.....running an advance curve suitable for an MGA will be no good in a couple of tonnes of van!

https://classicenginesmodernfuel.org.uk/Clubs/ModernFuel/BulletinBoard/Default.aspx?dyn_menu_useclub=1000001&dyn_menu_mainmenu=5

https://classicenginesmodernfuel.org.uk/Clubs/ModernFuel/Book.aspx

Above are links to the website of Paul Ireland, an ancient MG enthusiast who conducted tests at Manchester University, concerning this exact issue.....How it happens, and how to adjust to modern fuels...

Anyway, it's all worth a good read, especially the book, which covers & explains stuff the website cannot....

But, didn't these old vans have a hot restart issue from birth??
----------------------------------------------
Ford Pop chassis, Ashley 1172 bodyshell, in pieces.
old iron

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alastairq wrote:
'Hot Start' issues face many of us, entirely due to modern day petrol, and something called 'cyclic variability'....something which plagues all engines, but mostly overcome these days by the use of electronics,etc.
Mind, the engine bay on your camper will be a good source of excess heat too..

Is there a heat shield between carb and exhaust manifold?
One can be made up if such a thing is absent.
Also, to reduce the effect of the above phenomenon, try using 98 octane 'super' petrol?
[Note, this is nowt to do with the current ethanol crisis being promoted in popular media]
The super petrol will help the exhaust run cooler.

The electric pump will help offset any fuel boiling going on at the carb.
A better system [taking a leaf out of Datsun's book] is to have a 'supply' and 'return' fuel line, with the carb literally tee'd off it..the return line being smaller bore than the supply line. This keeps the fuel flowing constantly through the fuel lines, preventing it from sitting static near excessive heat.
However, that may well prove a step too far if trying to keep things 'original?'

Make sure the ignition timing isn't too retarded...a tad advanced is best I feel...also ensure the distributor's mechanical advance is appropriate for the vehicle the engine is used in.....running an advance curve suitable for an MGA will be no good in a couple of tonnes of van!

https://classicenginesmodernfuel.org.uk/Clubs/ModernFuel/BulletinBoard/Default.aspx?dyn_menu_useclub=1000001&dyn_menu_mainmenu=5

https://classicenginesmodernfuel.org.uk/Clubs/ModernFuel/Book.aspx

Above are links to the website of Paul Ireland, an ancient MG enthusiast who conducted tests at Manchester University, concerning this exact issue.....How it happens, and how to adjust to modern fuels...

Anyway, it's all worth a good read, especially the book, which covers & explains stuff the website cannot....

But, didn't these old vans have a hot restart issue from birth??

Many thanks for an interesting and comprehensive reply.
The carb does not have a heat shield, I will make one up and bolt it on using the flange fixing of the carb?
I have seen some heat resistant silicone tube which slips over the fuel lines in the engine bay. Apparently used successfully in racing, at £20 it’s worth a try to see if it improves matters.
I’m not sure what petrol the previous owner used and I haven’t filled up since buying. I will use the 98 octane as you suggest.
So far as timing goes, I will have that checked after I have tried the other ideas out.
I don’t know wether the camper vans did suffer hot start problems from new or not to be honest. But judging by the heat build up in the engine bay perculating into the cab I wouldn’t be at all surprised.
Great links, again thanks I will enjoy the reading. Smile
mikeC

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect it's a fundamental problem with forward-control vans; both my Standard Atlas vans suffered this problem, and this was years ago before modern fuels came on the scene. I would suggest fitting an electric fan in place of (or as well as) the mechanical fan might be the best way to go.
old iron

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikeC wrote:
I suspect it's a fundamental problem with forward-control vans; both my Standard Atlas vans suffered this problem, and this was years ago before modern fuels came on the scene. I would suggest fitting an electric fan in place of (or as well as) the mechanical fan might be the best way to go.

I had a closer look at the engine bay, I see the copper fuel line is routed above the manifold. All suggestions I am keeping noted so thanks for your experience.
alastairq

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I had a closer look at the engine bay, I see the copper fuel line is routed above the manifold.

That'll be a big part of the problem.

Can you re-route the fuel line [maybe by cutting the copper pipe and using ethanol-resistant rubber hose to join? Maybe taking the fuel line round by a more circuitous route?

As a suggestion for rubber fuel hose, the link below suggests 100% ethanol resistant fuel line.

https://www.advancedfluidsolutions.co.uk/100-bio-fuel-hoses-petrol--diesel-hose-0--100-199-c.asp

Below is a link to suggested R9 fuel hose, which is suitable for ethanol-extended gasoline...

https://www.advancedfluidsolutions.co.uk/56mm-id-732-saej30r9-nitrile-rubber-fuel-injection-hose-sae-r9-627-p.asp

The R9 stuff may be adequate for our needs, but the 100% stuff is really belts n braces.
----------------------------------------------
Ford Pop chassis, Ashley 1172 bodyshell, in pieces.
old iron

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you again, when I looked at the fuel pipe position I thought that may be a big part of the issue. I have ordered yesterday some fuel line sleeping which is apparently excellent at keeping heat away from the fuel line. I will give that a go as a start point and move onto your suggestions if needs be.
Petrol must be boiling away in the copper tube above the manifold.

Just to add, I have ordered the heat proof hosing from Funk Motorsport
It’s not inexpensive but if it goes some way to curing the issue it’s worth it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: