classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Time for a peanut.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
old iron

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:50 pm    Post subject: Time for a peanut. Reply with quote

Looking forward to next season camping in my recently purchased Austin J2
camper van. Very Happy
Of course it’s not well suited to day trips with other fellow classic car friends therefore I was torn between treating myself to a Austin 7 or a A30/35.
Seeing the asking prices of A7 and having a nostalgia itch for a peanut I have decided on buying the peanut Very Happy

Found one being advertised that looks well looked after, not my first choice of colours but hey Ho. The car is an A30 of 1956 vintage, it is fitted with the later 948cc engine, a longer differential and larger front brakes, also electronic ignition. All this sounds like very sensible upgrades whilst also discrete. The MOT history is impeccable which is a lovely bonus. All of this comes at a price of course, but I prefer a classic that is up and ready for plenty of fun times ahead.
With the upgrades this particular car has I see no reason to look for a later A35, the only question in my mind is the gearbox ratios teamed with the longer differential and the drivability?
alastairq

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a hankering for a Standard 8 or 10....Not sure why?

In my yoof, the car to aim for was the A35....often followed by a Sprite , or, if a bit flush, a Midget? Then followed by the sensible head taking control, and an 1100!

At that point of several chum's careers, I left society behind and went off to sea.
----------------------------------------------
Ford Pop chassis, Ashley 1172 bodyshell, in pieces.
Ray White

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Time for a peanut. Reply with quote

old iron wrote:
Looking forward to next season camping in my recently purchased Austin J2
camper van. Very Happy
Of course it’s not well suited to day trips with other fellow classic car friends therefore I was torn between treating myself to a Austin 7 or a A30/35.
Seeing the asking prices of A7 and having a nostalgia itch for a peanut I have decided on buying the peanut Very Happy

Found one being advertised that looks well looked after, not my first choice of colours but hey Ho. The car is an A30 of 1956 vintage, it is fitted with the later 948cc engine, a longer differential and larger front brakes, also electronic ignition. All this sounds like very sensible upgrades whilst also discrete. The MOT history is impeccable which is a lovely bonus. All of this comes at a price of course, but I prefer a classic that is up and ready for plenty of fun times ahead.
With the upgrades this particular car has I see no reason to look for a later A35, the only question in my mind is the gearbox ratios teamed with the longer differential and the drivability?

I couldn't resist chiming in "I had one of those" !

My original 803 cc engine just couldn't wait to run a big end and the cost of white metalling was beyond me. My Dad could have converted it to shell bearings if I wanted but a friend crashed his 1098 A40 Farina rally car and gave me the remains for £2. ! Happy days!

One thing to watch out for when changing these engines over is the later cars have a thicker back plate that won't let the engine mountings line up. Guess how I found that out??? Evil or Very Mad

The A30 gearbox and back axle on my car were retained which gave fantastic acceleration up to about 60 mph and it would climb Mount Everest in top but in reality, I should have fitted the later running gear; if only for the remote gear change.

Go for it!!
old iron

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It’s the A35 which takes me back to our very early courting days with my wife to be. I had been commuting from Southend on Sea to Barking on a 90cc moped visiting my then girlfriend now wife. Two stroke engine seizing was a fairly common event and the winter cold was getting to me as well. But we were both saving up to get married and I had sold my car to put the funds into the marriage pot. Enough was enough though and I went and purchased a A35, the comfort after my moped riding was a wonderful thing !!
Paid £40 for the car, which was in rough but road going order, at that time. In reality it was ready for a full restoration. On top of four bald tyres it burnt engine oil like it was going out of fashion leaving a blue smog behind where ever I drove Smile My girlfriend gave me a right telling off when I dangled the A35 car keys in front of her, what have you done?
The A35 didn’t last long and I gave it to one of my Brothers after I had got married. However, in the relative short time of my firs acquaintance with an A35 it provided me with much joy and fun.
Last night I mentioned to my wife that I wished to buy another A30/35, to which she replied, is it a grey painted one? nope! And for the first time in married life she didn’t object to my proposal of buying another classic Wink
peter scott

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Isetta bubble car was fine whilst I only had a motorcycle licence but after passing my car test I sold the Isetta and bought the worst car I ever had, a Series II Morris Minor. Powered by a clapped out 803 cc engine it was completely gutless but at least I could afford the insurance. It was noisy, had uncomfortable seats that made your back ache and when you slammed the doors it was like shutting the lid on a giant tool box that went clang! They didn't shut if you didn't slam them. I had really wanted an A35 van but they all seemed too pricey for me so £65 was thrown away on the Morris.

I certainly would not want anything with a BMC A series nowadays.

Peter
Ray White

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My A30 was a real little gem. It was a two door model in grey and belonged to the little old lady who lived with her Sister in a cottage across the road from us. She always had it serviced and garaged from new and only used it for Church on Sundays.

When the Sister inherited a rather more luxurious Vanden Plas 1300 the Austin became surplus to requirements and knowing I had just passed my test asked asked my Dad if I might like it. She only wanted £10. Dad, rather wickedly, told the old dear it was only good for scrap and offered her £8. The deal was done and before long I was the owner of an immaculate, AS4 with under 20,000 miles on the clock.

The A30 was just what I needed to get up to College in Barnet and my girl friend - later my wife - was much happier too. Bob, her father (an auto electrician) fitted flashing indicators and my Dad helped me fit the 1098 engine.

I wanted to run it on the twin SU carbs but found I couldn't really afford the petrol so it ended up back on a single Zenith.
peter scott

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray White wrote:

I wanted to run it on the twin SU carbs but found I couldn't really afford the petrol so it ended up back on a single Zenith.

When I had my 803 Minor I was serving part of an apprenticeship with Ferranti and I welded up a couple alloy induction stubs in their training school. With a scrapyard SU I converted the Minor to twin carbs. I could kid myself that it was faster but in reality I think it was just the roar from the unsilenced air intakes. I didn't have a proper connection between the two throttle spindles either and used a short length of plastic petrol pipe and Jubilee clips. When the engine warmed up the balance was somewhat lost.

Needless to say I reverted to the original set-up before I sold the car.

Peter
old iron

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m still looking for the Austin A30/5 to come along. I missed the original car that I wrote about in my OP, thinking it over for to long and when I contacted the seller it had gone Sad
Search goes on.
Ray White

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you looking for a two or four door car?
old iron

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray White wrote:

Not fussed to be honest, although I would tilt toward two door. The most important thing for me is condition, I don’t want to be spending my weekends underneath it or in the bonnet fixing it.
Ray White

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

old iron wrote:
Ray White wrote:

Not fussed to be honest, although I would tilt toward two door. The most important thing for me is condition, I don’t want to be spending my weekends underneath it or in the bonnet fixing it.

I don't know if you have had one before but I think they are great fun. They may look like the "ugly duckling" of classic cars but on the plus side they are exceptionally robust. It was, I understand, Austin's first unitary construction car and they were not sure about how strong it needed to be. The result is a vehicle that is over engineered and virtually indestructible. In fact, the A30 is supposed to be several times stronger than it's rival, the Morris Minor.

It's a long time since I looked under an A30 but from what I can recall the chassis outriggers are prone to rust but they are not structurally that important so don't dismiss the car if that is all that is wrong with it.

Hardly any of these cars will have been kept under cover so I would expect water ingress to be the biggest issue. Mechanically they are let down by the lever arm shock absorbers but on the plus side you can keep them topped up!.

My only tip is take a magnet with you and check the bottom of the panels all round. The filler fairies may have been at work!
old iron

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray White wrote:
old iron wrote:
Ray White wrote:

I don't know if you have had one before but I think they are great fun. They may look like the "ugly duckling" of classic cars but on the plus side they are exceptionally robust. It was, I understand, Austin's first unitary construction car and they were not sure about how strong it needed to be. The result is a vehicle that is over engineered and virtually indestructible. In fact, the A30 is supposed to be several times stronger than it's rival, the Morris Minor.

It's a long time since I looked under an A30 but from what I can recall the chassis outriggers are prone to rust but they are not structurally that important so don't dismiss the car if that is all that is wrong with it.

Hardly any of these cars will have been kept under cover so I would expect water ingress to be the biggest issue. Mechanically they are let down by the lever arm shock absorbers but on the plus side you can keep them topped up!.

My only tip is take a magnet with you and check the bottom of the panels all round. The filler fairies may have been at work!

Thanks Ray for good advise.
I have enjoyed a peanut previously, although that’s about fifty years ago!, Since then a couple of Morris Minors and many cars since.
I am a member of an Austin 7. club and they accept peanuts with a smile. Also parts are in good supply, at least mechanical parts, reliable and as you mention, great fun.
I will certainly heed your advise regarding rust, any seller shouldn’t be insulted by my use of a magnet I hope.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: