classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Lessons for the New Enthusiast
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
PapaJoe

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 2:24 pm    Post subject: Lessons for the New Enthusiast Reply with quote

With the wealth of experience on this Forum, perhaps we can pass along some ideas to the next group about ways to approach their interest in old cars. Here are a few of mine. Feel free to add.

- Perfectionism is not a blessing, it's a curse.

- Ask yourself, "How far do I want to take this project?", then proceed accordingly.

- Preserve first. If that isn't feasible, Replace.

- Spend some quiet time in the garage staring at and wiping down your old car(s).

- Prospective helpers don't have to like old cars, but, once in a while, one of them will learn to.

- Always wave back, especially to children and the elderly.

Regards,
Joe
Coveted: Ford Model Y Saloon
Ray White

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think your last point is pertinent. While I always wave to other classic car drivers, I don't always get a response.

MY own suggestion mis to watch the film 'Genevieve'. The classic car hobby grew largely due to this marvellous production.

Last edited by Ray White on Mon Nov 15, 2021 2:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rootes75

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 100% with Ray on that one.

My youngest is 10 and loves the vehicles, whenever we are out he waves at other classic owners but rarely gets a wave back. Even at this age he has an opinion about certain marque enthusiasts...
alastairq

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect much of the non-waving-back is down to the sheer concentration [terror?] required by modern drivers to conduct their old vehicles reasonably astutely?
I have to admit to receiving much admonition from various [ex] wives for not recognising them as they passed by, whilst driving my bus!

In this country, at least, it may be a dangerous practice to be seen waving at children regularly? Especially if one happens to not be driving one's old vehicles, at the time..but one's mundane daily driver? Smile

Much of the waving lark might even be conducted after the fact, rather than as one approaches?
Especially if one's hands are rather busy at the time....or one is watching the oil pressure gauge intently?
----------------------------------------------
Ford Pop chassis, Ashley 1172 bodyshell, in pieces.
Crashbox

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've learnt not to acknowledge a fellow classic car driver until they acknowledge me first. If they don't then I flick 'em the birdy when we're level Twisted Evil Laughing

Seriously though, I was VERY shocked to get a nod from the driver of a vintage Rolls earlier this year when I was out in my 1932 Minor.

1932 Morris Minor S.V. Two-Seater
PapaJoe

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a little surprised and amused the discussion has veered in the direction of waves and birds. My intention was to give budding enthusiasts advice as they embark on the path of old car restoration and operation. Surely there must some pearls of wisdom out there to help our beginners avoid the mistakes we made along the way.

I pulled my first old car, a 1929 Chevy, completely apart with little knowledge of how to reassemble the whole mess. By the way, it was a fully functioning oily rag driver which I should have driven, maintained and enjoyed. Instead I had to sell the lot at a loss when the USAF transferred me unexpectedly. Lesson learned.

Regards,
Joe
roverdriver

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a pretty good memory so when I first pulled the engine of my 1918 T apart, I always test re-assemble then memorised what I had found and learned from the exercise, mind you that was in 1959/60 so you either memorised or made drawings. Today with so many inexpensive digital cameras available, I would photograph every step of disassembly to make re-assembling things so much easier

When disassembling, keep labeled containers handy to put small items in. Labels that are appropriate such as 'Head Studs' 'Distributor Parts' etc
Miken

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I learnt these a long time ago.
If you are embarking on a renovation project. By all means save all the receipts for all the parts that you purchase in a file.
But NEVER make the mistake of adding up the total of what you've spent.
Also,
Do as much of the work that you can yourself. The most frustrating and disappointing parts of a project often end up being the work that you have give to someone else.
If you do have to give work to someone , don't make the mistake of saying
" there's no rush, Im not in a hurry" because several months later, you will be.
If you want something doing well, do it yourself, or teach yourself if you can.
Rootes75

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I would say from restoring a few projects is don't give yourself silly deadlines when you want certain aspects completed. Restoring anything is an experience and you need to enjoy it and gain knowledge and pride from your work.

Set tight deadlines and often this can create extra stress, you may cut corners and you may also fork out for work that you could have done yourself given the right amount of time.

Also, ask for help when you get stuck, Forums like this have helped me no end when I have had trouble.
PapaJoe

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When my 1917 Ford was pulled from a barn in the early '50s, the two brothers purchasing it noticed the cowl lamps were missing. So, they asked the elderly farmer selling the car what had happened to them. He said he had cut them off years ago in an effort to make the car look more up to date. Then he went back into the barn and brought out the lamps which had been sitting on a shelf inside.

When you purchase an old car, always ask for all the bits that go with it. This may save time and money sourcing parts later. Also, don't discard the parts you find under the seats and in other nooks and crannies. They may be useful and are always interesting.
norustplease

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try and have a good look around a completed example of your project car whenever you come across one (essentially probably at a show or meet). You will be surprised at the amount of information that you will pick up, especially on the small detail areas that you thought that you'd photographed to death, but have never quite captured the areas that you now can't remember!
On the waving front, I always wave to other old car drivers, but don't always get a wave back. Very few children or adults actually wave, especially at the Volvo. I do, however, get a lot of intense stares when out in the PV, which suggests that they are wondering what on earth it is!
Boring Tucson SUV
PapaJoe

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once walked in on my friend David as he was disassembling his Model T rear end for the third time that same day. Things had not gone well, but he soldiered on and finished the job. Taking something apart that you just put together is a common thing in the old car world.

Another key to success in this endeavor is maintaining momentum. On a long-term project, I set and celebrate milestones: initial purchase, cleaning and assessment, individual system repair, first drive. Incidentally, that’s what draws me to this group, a like-minded approach. I celebrate milestones by having friends over to view the result, or post photos of progress on sites like this one. If you can keep interest and enthusiasm fresh, delays and obstacles become challenges.
Brent29

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great words of wisdom, Joe! The last one is special. Just last week, I took my young niece for a spin to test the smoothness of the new set set of tires from 4Wheelonline on the T100. A couple of people waved, and she mentioned "Hey, we're popular!"
PapaJoe

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brent, My oldest daughter, Lauren, was the designated waver from the Model T when our kids were young. She loved doing it until she was around thirteen, then became self-conscious about all the attention. Now in her forties, she has resumed her duties as official waver whenever she's on board.
Joe
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before dismantling anything take loads of photos and measurements, it doesn't take long and saves lots of head scratching 6 months later when you start the reassembly!

Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: