classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Pre-war silk rope door pulls - any tips???
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Vintage Motoring-Related Toys, Tools & Accessories
greenbeam

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 11:52 am    Post subject: Pre-war silk rope door pulls - any tips??? Reply with quote

Hi all,
I need to reproduce or repair these silk rope door pulls for my pre-war Armstrong siddeley, but I have no idea about technique, materials, terminology.

Is anyone able to point me to information about them - how they are made, what materials were used, etc?

Specifically, what is the 'braid' wrapped around top and bottom, and what is the 'macrame' weaving around the wooden ball at the end?

80+ year ago they were a deep green colour - in case that helps with suppliers.

PS - I know that Complete Automobilist sells the 9" ones, but I also need 4" long ones, so that would solve only half my problem (never mind the cost of them!)

Cheers,
Paul.
Ray White

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is likely a problem with you being in Australia!

I know where you could probably buy new ones if you so wished. Even if you don't go down that route the people I know will be happy to help if they can.

The company I am thinking of is not far from here and is called:
https://www.trimmingsbydesign.c

They have a huge and fascinating archive of automotive trimmings dating back many years. My own experience was when they re made some unique pasting lace for my 1930 Austin Swallow. ( the little car uses no less than 25 yards!) Other Swallow owners also benefitted because the trim could be ordered in whatever colour combination they required.

Remarkably this lovely old factory still uses the same loom on which the original was produced and some of their other machines are also pretty ancient...so I am sure your door pulls can be reproduced.

Can they be repaired? I don't know but I suspect they were made on a loom.

Last edited by Ray White on Mon Feb 28, 2022 1:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
petelang

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes you have to think outside the box for these type of things. I must admit I haven't actually sourced any yet but I did contemplate replacements for my Siddeley a few years back and was aghast at the cost. Then I thought "where have I seen something similar" and it dawned on me it's the same as tied to nautical bells.
So if you search around the maritime fraternity you might find ready made, or the silk cord material to make some and there is an instruction video somewhere on how to make them from cord.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nauticalia-5095-11-Cotton-Lanyard/dp/B007V5C6P4/ref=asc_df_B007V5C6P4/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=344374105565&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=16378370759340804140&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=t&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1006965&hvtargid=pla-751806097567&psc=1&th=1&psc=1

Hope this helps.
greenbeam

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete Lang, thank you - this is what I hoped to find - a parallel use or similar materials - I will follow up.
Cheers,
Paul.
greenbeam

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray White wrote:

I know where you could probably buy new ones if you so wished. Even if you don't go down that route the people I know will be happy to help if they can.

Hi Ray, thatnks for the tip. I have sent trimmingsbydesign.co.uk a message - let's see what they say.

Just to be clear - are you saying trimmingsbydesign is the company where I could buy the new ones? I'm not averse to that if I can get both lengths.

Cheers,
Paul.
Ray White

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

greenbeam wrote:
Ray White wrote:

Hi Ray, thatnks for the tip. I have sent trimmingsbydesign.co.uk a message - let's see what they say.

Just to be clear - are you saying trimmingsbydesign is the company where I could buy the new ones? I'm not averse to that if I can get both lengths.

Cheers,

Paul.

Hi Paul. Yes. You send the samples and ask them to recreate what you want and they will give you an estimate of the cost. They are, of course, a commercial enterprise and will no doubt expect an order for more than just a "one off"... unless they have something suitable in stock.

I had to place an order for more than I wanted but fortunately was able to sell surplus braid to other Swallow owners which considering the cost was very fortunate! Then again, the value of having a correctly trimmed car more than makes up for it!

If my experience is anything to go by, you will be in good hands. As I am sure you appreciate, quality doesn't come cheap... but at least I found them to be straight and a pleasure to do business with.
alastairq

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like the sort of ropework that I used to be taught when I attended a Pre-sea Naval College? [Reardon Smith NC, Cardiff]

If anyone knows anybody who works full time on a sail training vessel, that might be a source of knot-knowledge?
Or, the local Sea Cadets?
----------------------------------------------
Ford Pop chassis, Ashley 1172 bodyshell, in pieces.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Vintage Motoring-Related Toys, Tools & Accessories All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: