classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Lucas PS9 panel switch.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration
Ray White

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 4:39 pm    Post subject: Lucas PS9 panel switch. Reply with quote

Please could someone explain how this switch works. It is a push button "tumbler" switch. I have observed how one set of contacts are activated and when the button is pressed another set are in play. I presume the single terminal is for an earth wire ... but I cannot think why there are alternate contacts when I would have thought just on/ off would be needed.

What could you use the alternate live for?

ukdave2002

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect its a change over switch, looks similar to the dip switch fitted in the headlamp bowl of 60's British bikes?

Dave
Ray White

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ukdave2002 wrote:
I suspect its a change over switch, looks similar to the dip switch fitted in the headlamp bowl of 60's British bikes?

Dave

Thank you Dave. Sadly I don't know much about bikes.

I have read that this type of switch was fitted to Standards and Daimlers but I am hoping to use one on the MG... although not as a dip switch.
Ray White

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose if I supplied power to it via the wiper switch ( next to it on the instrument panel) it would enable a two speed (TF) wiper motor to be used?

This was an idea that seemed to meet with little support when I mooted it some time ago because it would mean moving the potentially dangerous windscreen mounted wiper to a safer location under the dash.

It seems a separate switched power supply would be needed to enable this tumbler switch to be used as intended?...(or not as the case may be??).
MVPeters

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2022 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray
I'm not sure it's a very useful switch for you because it's a little 'odd'!
It's just a change-over switch, like a foot-operated dip switch. My concern is that it doesn't tell you visually or by feel which position it's in.
If you fit a 2-speed wiper motor, I think it would be preferable to fit the correct toggle switch that goes with it - for one thing, the wiring will be simpler.
I'd sell it! They seem to fetch good money on eBay!
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2022 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was browsing The Lucas master catalogue this morning trying to identify some spare that came in a job lot, and came across the PS9 switch. Contrary to my previous assumption that it was a change over switch it appears that its a simple push on/off tumbler switch.

Its applications are wiper marked with a; W, Roof lamp marked with a H for Heater & Panel lamps marked with a P

The letter markings are pretty common across the Lucas range, so if do you use it the assumption to would be its going to turn the panel lamps on.

The knobs were availably separately, including unmarked and cream variants.

Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: