classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Merc 280SL engine job
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
vintagemechanic

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 6:41 pm    Post subject: Merc 280SL engine job Reply with quote

A month ago I pulled out this 2.8l straight six lump from a 1970 Pagoda. The customer was complaining of a rattly top end!!

Popped off the cam cover and saw the disaster before my eyes. A lack of routine maintenance, ie oil and filter changes totally ruined the top end of this engine. The oil feed pipe was clogged resulting on the cam lobes wearing down on one end.

The engine had to come out anyways as I was doing other work in the engine bay, but now the head had to be removed and skimmed, bores cleaned, lapped, new camshaft, followers, sprockets, timing chain etc etc.

Just a timely and costly reminder to change oil frequently Very Happy

Ray White

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Bob. I am not sure you are supposed to be advertising your business here but I am sure Rick will be able to re direct you as required.

I wish you well.

Ray.
peter scott

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A "serves you right" to the customer for lack of attention regarding servicing and choice of oils.

Peter
consul 57

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i doubt many cars have had adequate oil changes in reality or any new oil at all.
most of the engines i have taken apart were pretty bad, the worst one was an sd1 V8 that had so much sludge at the top end it took ages to get it out of the heads, both rocker shafts were like a castle wall!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: