classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Any Singer Gazelle owners?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
CWhaley1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:19 pm    Post subject: Any Singer Gazelle owners? Reply with quote

Hi all,

Long time since I’ve been on this site. Just wondered if there are any other Singer Gazelle owners on here? I am the proud owner of a 1964 Series V. Will post a picture or two over the weekend, but basically I’ve had her just over a year (previously I owned two Super Minxes). She was pressed into daily service when my Peugeot 406 was waiting on a coolant pipe and did a 25 mile commute every day fine. Used regularly.

I have done a little bit of work including replacing the rear cylinders and pipework, replacing the hub seals and fabricating new gaskets for where the half shaft meets the brake drum backing plate and rebuilding the dynamo. Rest of the work has been general servicing. She’s all original including seats, rear carpets and headlining (was actually off the road from 1974 to 1992) and I even managed to track down the original owner’s living son just down the road from me.

I think I buck the trend being a 31-year-old owner, but I’m a big fan of British family saloons of the ‘50s and ‘60s so had to have it.
consul 57

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds great
keep it up
Ray White

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now the MkV is interesting. If I recall it has front discs... and the "wrap around" rear window has been straightened out. I always thought they were a good car and worked on them when they were horribly undervalued back in the 1970s.

Look forward to seeing the photos. Wink
peter scott

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2022 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have friend with a very nice Minx of the same vintage that had previously belonged to his father in law. Unscripted we appear to like taking photos at the same locations up north.

Peter
CWhaley1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray White wrote:
Now the MkV is interesting. If I recall it has front discs... and the "wrap around" rear window has been straightened out. I always thought they were a good car and worked on them when they were horribly undervalued back in the 1970s.

Look forward to seeing the photos. Wink

Sorry for the late reply. Didn't get any notification of these posts and assumed nobody was interested!

Yes the brakes are surprisingly sharp! I spent too much money before my son was born amassing spare cylinder seals, callipers, shoes and associated parts. I have also just sourced three NOS doors in excellent condition. I cannot get into my shed for Singer spares!

I read a lot of newspaper archives as part of my interest in genealogy and often look for mid-range family cars in the adverts. In the early '70s when these weren't that old (well, by today's standards) they were commonly selling for between £20 and £150!
CWhaley1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was on my deferred wedding day earlier this year. Drove it down myself then back the next day.

Currently it has been getting me to work and back while the modern (Pug 406) is having work done on the brakes.
Ray White

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that Singer is what I call a "proper" car. No nonsense mechanics that means it can be kept on the road without needing a 'Masters' in computing!!
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks great, really nice colour too.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Rootes75

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2022 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had one exactly the same colour a few years back, lovely cars.
CWhaley1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love it. Next job is to re-set the timing (using a timing gun from the '70s).

I thought the engine had timing chain rattle, as there's a noisy rattily/scraping noise when the engine is idling. I think I've tracked it down to the distributor, as when I place my finger on the cap I can feel something rattling around inside and if I press on it, the noise changes slightly.

It may be this is just normal rotor arm movement, but I've never actually felt the cap while the engine is running so I'm unsure. It is a replacement Distributor Doctor cap and arm. Too scared to take the whole distributor out to check for wear!

At the moment, it's only me who will go out in her -- need to fit seatbelts so that the wife will also travel, but it'll be some time before my son goes in it, too as he is only six months old.
alastairq

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there wear in he distributor drive? {Bearings?]
----------------------------------------------
Ford Pop chassis, Ashley 1172 bodyshell, in pieces.
CWhaley1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alastairq wrote:
Is there wear in he distributor drive? {Bearings?]

I'm not sure as I've not dared remove the distributor itself through fear of replacing it incorrectly!

The chap at Distributor Doctor did suggest a worn gear.

If I am going to do the timing (need to consult the workshop manual for this), then I think it is worth removing it to check. I think the diaphragm for the vacuum advance is broken as I can't feel any suction on the carb end of the pipe, so removal is inevitable.
bjacko

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 6:15 am    Post subject: Singer Reply with quote

If the distributor diaphragm has failed you would probably have poor acceleration and rough running.
The noise is probably a worn bushing or bearing allowing the main shaft to "wobble" in the dizzy.
CWhaley1

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Singer Reply with quote

bjacko wrote:
If the distributor diaphragm has failed you would probably have poor acceleration and rough running.
The noise is probably a worn bushing or bearing allowing the main shaft to "wobble" in the dizzy.

It's only my diagnosis based on nothing felt at the carb-end of the tube with the engine running. I need to test it to confirm, but there are certainly no running problems. The new Weber 34ICH I fitted is proving a good upgrade on the Zenith 30VN.

I think it's a 'distributor out' job once I have the knowledge on removing them and setting the timing correctly.
peter scott

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Singer Reply with quote

CWhaley1 wrote:

It's only my diagnosis based on nothing felt at the carb-end of the tube with the engine running.

I'm rather confused by your test of the vacuum system. If you disconnected the tube from the carb I wouldn't expect to detect anything from the tube although I guess if you were able to suck down the tube it would theoretically allow you to advance the ignition timing (which would increase the revs).

You might be able to detect the suction from the connection on the carb possibly by observing the effect of shutting it off with your finger but often the throttle butterfly is arranged to close off the vacuum pipe at tick over.

Peter Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: