classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Reliance on the puter!
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
petelang

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reliance on the puter! Reply with quote

Took my Daimler Fifteen to the tyre chaps yesterday. When driving it over a particularly horrendous bit of rutted road last week it seemed a bit unstable and having done quite a bit of steering work earlier this year, I had a nagging doubt that it might need fine adjustment on the tracking.
My local lads said they couldn't attach their laser gear to the type of wheels on the car so sent me off to the experts down the road with the super sophisticated set up. I was sceptical from the outset but after I arrived and spoke to the "technician" he went over to his computer keyboard and started searching on the registration number for the data. I said "don't think you're going to find anything on there son. But it should be 1/8 toe in if that helps". He was insistent that he needed a whole gamut of data and, of course, the "system" had nothing pre 1970! He even phoned a friend to seek info but after about 40 minutes, "computer said no" and they gave up.
So, back to the garage and get inventive.
Within an hour, I had made up a tool using two pieces of interlocking steel channels, measured the track front and back of the front wheels, established they were both straight ahead, and adjusted to the required toe in.
Sometimes, reliance on computers is foolhardy!
It's a shame that these, no doubt quite bright and clever guys, can't sometimes think outside the box a bit!
Ray White

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Reliance on the puter! Reply with quote

petelang wrote:
Took my Daimler Fifteen to the tyre chaps yesterday. When driving it over a particularly horrendous bit of rutted road last week it seemed a bit unstable and having done quite a bit of steering work earlier this year, I had a nagging doubt that it might need fine adjustment on the tracking.
My local lads said they couldn't attach their laser gear to the type of wheels on the car so sent me off to the experts down the road with the super sophisticated set up. I was sceptical from the outset but after I arrived and spoke to the "technician" he went over to his computer keyboard and started searching on the registration number for the data. I said "don't think you're going to find anything on there son. But it should be 1/8 toe in if that helps". He was insistent that he needed a whole gamut of data and, of course, the "system" had nothing pre 1970! He even phoned a friend to seek info but after about 40 minutes, "computer said no" and they gave up.
So, back to the garage and get inventive.
Within an hour, I had made up a tool using two pieces of interlocking steel channels, measured the track front and back of the front wheels, established they were both straight ahead, and adjusted to the required toe in.
Sometimes, reliance on computers is foolhardy!
It's a shame that these, no doubt quite bright and clever guys, can't sometimes think outside the box a bit!

Sometimes it can be a bit of trial and error... especially if your track rods have spring loaded ends. 1/8" sounds a bit small for a pre war car. If you don't have enough toe in the tendency is for the wheels to 'toe out' at speed which gives a feeling of instability.
bjacko

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:20 am    Post subject: Toe In Pre-war cars Reply with quote

A lot of Pre-war Morris cars are 1/8" toe in. The alignment people don't like pre-war Morris 8's as they tend to be too narrow!!! For their equipment.
V8 Nutter

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pre war Ford V8's were 1/16 plus or minus 1/32
Ray White

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a compromise. Too much toe in and you get feathering of the front tyres. Too little and any wear in the system will show up as instability. I think it should be remembered that specifications were for new cars.
alastairq

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I 'acquired' a Dunlop{?} tracking set-up when my old bus employer changed tyre contracts...Same tyre fitter, but new overalls, and new tacking kit.

I still have it..the 'pole' [ a round tube with a groove pressed in one side] is wide enough for a bus...but I daren't cut it for convenient storage, just in case I cut off a tad too much...and need the extra inch years down the line.
A coupe of uprights clamp to the round[?} bar, one pointer is fixed, the other one is spring loaded, with a scale....[in mm, which s a nuisance as I have to convert].

A bit of a pfaff setting it all up..things keep falling over for example....
Nowadays if I need a tracking job [tyre wear, usually.]...I get my local MoT lads to do it, whilst it's up on the ramp for testing.
Or, when the ramp is free for 5 mins if it doesn't require an official test....the lads are reluctant to put a vehicle which doesn't need a test, back onto the 'system'.]
Beforehand, I will slacken off, lubricate, and reset the track rods , etc so all is 'nice & free', saves a lot in terms of what I pay for their time.
They appreciate not having to free off seized adjustments as well.
----------------------------------------------
Ford Pop chassis, Ashley 1172 bodyshell, in pieces.
petelang

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray, yes, I don't want premature tyre feathering as they're Dunlop whitewalls and they cost me nearly £400 a tyre!
It's why I get very cross when I see the state of the roads I have to use. Not to mention those bloody awful speed bumps that surround our home, literally dozens of them, and they are diabolical going over in a 1930s car.
I have publicly invited the local councillors who insist these be put in, to come for a drive with me so I can batter their spine like mine. So far, no uptake on the offer!

Alastair, that's a lucky find. Just the sort of kit I was hoping my usual tyre man would have in his shed round the back but they've all gone "Laser" these days.
Ray White

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ Shocked]

Last edited by Ray White on Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ray White

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

petelang wrote:

... I get very cross when I see the state of the roads I have to use. Not to mention those bloody awful speed bumps that surround our home, literally dozens of them, and they are diabolical going over in a 1930s car.
I have publicly invited the local councillors who insist these be put in, to come for a drive with me so I can batter their spine like mine. So far, no uptake on the offer!

Don't talk to me about speed bumps!!!!

I wonder if my neighbour would lend me his JCB ???
Razz
alastairq

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
but they've all gone "Laser" these days.

With a skilled operator, the lazer system knocks my lucky-find into a cocked hat, for ease of use.

Ray, what you need to do is diversify your old IC interests into something like the 1.5 tonne earth-flattener in this video? Imagine, taking it out ''for a walk'' near one's favorite speed humps?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwWUArWo7os

Oh, and there's a 'yes , dear!' moment when one's lady-love demands a new Miele washing machine.....
----------------------------------------------
Ford Pop chassis, Ashley 1172 bodyshell, in pieces.
Ray White

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interestingly, my neighbour offered me his old JCB for nothing because it was completely worn out. Unfortunately, the cost of fixing it up again was not worth the trouble ... but that didn't stop a group of gypsies from taking it away under it's own power. The fact they couldn't see where they were going because of all the smoke didn't seem to bother them!

Said neighbour took delivery of a brand new JCB. What a machine!!!! one might even describe it as beautiful!!!
Ray White

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What surprised me is that pre War MG midgets have 1/2" toe in. The Bishop Cam steering box as fitted to post War T series cars is very direct and the tendency for the cars to wander and feel unstable at speed has encouraged some owners to also set their cars the same.

I would have thought 1/2" would cause rapid tyre wear but I have been advised that with this setting the difference is "transformative" and the tyre wear normal.
peter scott

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cars with insufficient castor angle also want to go everywhere but straight ahead.

Peter
Ray White

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peter scott wrote:
Cars with insufficient castor angle also want to go everywhere but straight ahead.

Peter

You make a good point. Peter.

I don't think that is the problem with the T Series (I know; you didn't say it was) because when a Datsun or VW steering box is substituted the problem does not occur...

There is a debate about the merits or otherwise of fitting a VW box. An argument can be made that with the slower VW steering installed you loose the sporty nature of the original car.

There is a bit more to it than that:
https://mwthemachineshop.com/vw-vs-bc-steering
peter scott

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The TC is substantially lighter and I can't remember my feelings when I last drove one but I do know that the SA box with its peg steering was horrible.

Peter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: