classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Some Common Sense in EVs at Last
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans)
peter scott

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2022 5:18 pm    Post subject: Some Common Sense in EVs at Last Reply with quote

https://hydrogen-central.com/new-hydrogen-car-travels-2000-kilometers-single-tank/
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2022 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in the mid 80’s my first job after graduating was with Sharp Electronics designing bits of their Video Recorders. At the time Sharp backed VHS rather than the Sony Betamax system. As engineers we knew that Betamax was a much better system, however it wasn’t marketed as well as VHS, and as we know VHS won.

A hydrogen fuelled vehicle addresses ;clean emissions, quick refuelling & decent distance between refuelling.

I fear however that hydrogen will lose in the same way that Betamax did.

Dave
Ray White

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2022 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably not the same but LPG has all but died. There was a flurry of bi-fuel vehicles using LPG by the major manufacturers but a combination of things led to its demise.

Theoretically a Hydrogen cell could produce all the electricity for an electric car and obviate the need for charging points and the associated infrastructure. Unfortunately the blinkers are on and yet another great idea will probably come to nought.
peter scott

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2022 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We just live in the wrong part of Europe.

http://www.hydrogenbatteries.org/Where_Can_I_You_Buy_Filling_Up_With_Hydrogen_In_The_UK_Nearest_Service_Station.htm

Battery vehicles are fine for around town but the need to wait hours for recharging makes them useless for longer trips away.

Peter
petelang

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How absolutely typical! The Germans are ahead of the game yet again. Probably because they don't have short sighted investors and view the long term profit instead of "quick buck" British investors.
The UK should have been far, far ahead in this race.
So we will be trading in our polluting BMW and Audis for the new green versions thinking how wonderful the German car industry has saved the planet!
In the words of Alanis Morissette, "isn't it ironic!"
peter scott

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The aircraft industry seems rather quiet on the subject too. We can't run them from an overhead wire or an onboard battery (at least not very far) so they really have no option but to hydrogen (or possibly amonia).

Peter
Ray White

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion we are about (as a Country) to miss out on the single most significant development since the Industrial Revolution.

The quantum computer.
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peter scott wrote:
We just live in the wrong part of Europe.

http://www.hydrogenbatteries.org/Where_Can_I_You_Buy_Filling_Up_With_Hydrogen_In_The_UK_Nearest_Service_Station.htm

Battery vehicles are fine for around town but the need to wait hours for recharging makes them useless for longer trips away.

Peter

+1
Brent29

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ukdave2002 wrote:
Back in the mid 80’s my first job after graduating was with Sharp Electronics designing bits of their Video Recorders. At the time Sharp backed VHS rather than the Sony Betamax system. As engineers we knew that Betamax was a much better system, however it wasn’t marketed as well as VHS, and as we know VHS won.

A hydrogen fuelled vehicle addresses ;clean emissions, quick refuelling & decent distance between refuelling.

I fear however that hydrogen will lose in the same way that Betamax did.

Dave

Good point there, Dave. But there's a potential for hydrogen in the future when the fossil oil runs out.
Ray White

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The issue around Hydrogen is one of production.

Hydrogen is a clean fuel (with only water vapour as an emission ) but it is not environmentally friendly to produce in the quantities required.

What we might see, however, is the emergence of completely self contained hydrogen/electric hybrid cars. They will use electric power to produce the hydrogen that can be burned in the normal way.

I have been impressed with "solar film" experiments that invisibly cover most of the car. If enough solar energy can be absorbed and combined with KERS then enough Hydrogen might be produced by the vehicles themselves to be self supporting.

As Lord Bamford himself said (in the Harry's Farm video interview kindly posted by Crashbox)

"Many countries are now committed to Hydrogen".

Says it all really. Surprised

Last edited by Ray White on Mon Mar 06, 2023 12:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Crashbox

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://youtu.be/H6_qAta3Gk8

1932 Morris Minor S.V. Two-Seater
Brent29

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crashbox wrote:
https://youtu.be/H6_qAta3Gk8

Very educational. They are overcoming the obstacles of using hydrogen.
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given that major vehicle manufacturers in Japan and Germany, (countries that supply a huge percentage of new vehicles purchased in the UK) are developing hydrogen vehicles, it supports the move in the UK to hydrogen.

The required cost & development in infrastructure to build hydrogen stations (adapt current petrol stations), is a fraction of what will be required to implement a fast electrical charging network, the penny will eventually drop!

I believe the future of cars is electric, but the power source won't be a battery.

Dave
Keith D

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I believe the future of cars is electric, but the power source won't be a battery.

I agree with you Dave
1999 BMW Z3
Its weird being the same age as old people.
You are either part of the problem or part of the solution
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ukdave2002 wrote:
Given that major vehicle manufacturers in Japan and Germany, (countries that supply a huge percentage of new vehicles purchased in the UK) are developing hydrogen vehicles, it supports the move in the UK to hydrogen.

The required cost & development in infrastructure to build hydrogen stations (adapt current petrol stations), is a fraction of what will be required to implement a fast electrical charging network, the penny will eventually drop!

Dave

Agreed on all points. I just hope that hydrogen becomes practical before the government has pushed too much investment in battery EVs which they seem to be a little obsessed with at the moment. I can't help thinking that batteries are popular with politicians because the rare metals they use are good investments, compared with hydrogen which is simply stored in a pressurised tank - comparatively simple technology made of comparatively cheap materials.

Another benefit of hydrogen technology, of course, is that it supports a transition to green electricity. Intermittent renewable generation isn't a problem if surplus electricity can be used to produce hydrogen, which could be stored in large quantities for a long time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: