classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Reliant Robin
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
Ray White

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a suggestion to help with the handling...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRGuMKVqNzA
badhuis

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the Top Gear laugh. Ha ha ha. It is well known that to get the poor Reliant tumbling each time they had to change a couple of things (one wheel larger than the other side, weight added to one corner, diff welded).

There are many stories linked to particular models. The Morris Marina and piano comes to mind, as does the Chevrolet Corvair and Ralph Nader. No points for telling these to any owner, surprisingly they know it already!

This is not to say that the Robin is a safe vehicle, it is not. The same for any motorcycle, not safe. And dare I say it, compared to modern cars, any classic car.

Your TC will not be very safe either Ray, but I hope this does not keep you from driving it (whenever it will be ready).
Ray White

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose I deserved that. Laughing
alastairq

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Your TC will not be very safe either Ray, but I hope this does not keep you from driving it (whenever it will be ready).

The same can be said of the Dellow...But the realisation that one's carcass is an intrinsic part of the car's structure does have the effect of focussing one's mind at higher speeds...
Seat belts are as useless as a crashhat.
My Dellow does have a roll-over bar [proper setup, for racing]...But the prospect of lunching a grand's worth of windscreen frame in the process does heighten awareness.
It does, however, feel very stable at speed, if not directionally accurate.
----------------------------------------------
Ford Pop chassis, Ashley 1172 bodyshell, in pieces.
alastairq

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From a technical viewpoint the Reliant range had much to commend.
Given the constraints of driver licensing, weight restrictions, etc, the Reliant engines and running gear are still a tour do force [IMHO]...Good enough to have been raced[750 formula] for many decades now, with accompanying ingenuity on the part of constructors.

Hence, tuning information, good bits/bad bts, etc, the knowledge is out there, if not in the halls of Cosworth.
As a suggestion, one could fit an engine from the Suzuki 3 cylinder range...as demonstrated by the Liege [kit car] fraternity[these are proper trials cars, not prettyboys..]
The 3 wheeler trials experts seem to extend the front wheel location a bit[for improved stability?] although I'm not certain about this.

There used to be one with a Mini engine and transmission stuffed into the rear..could climb anything, unless a bend was involved. Not prone to rolling over [unless on a severe adverse slope...but then Austin Sevens also roll over on trials!]but strong in a straight line.

Might be worth studying why the Bond Bug appeared to handle better than the Robin?
----------------------------------------------
Ford Pop chassis, Ashley 1172 bodyshell, in pieces.
Penman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alastair; you mention weight restrictions, I believe that the spare wheel had to be an optional extra because if it had been included in the basic vehicle spec it would have put it over the weight which qualified it to driven on a M/bike licence.

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
Ray White

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some information here on the plastic pig...

https://www.reliant.website/regal_hist.shtml

The one I used to service was either a MkV or MkV1 - I can't remember. I don't think they are THAT easy to overturn; in fact the driver is given plenty of warning as a rear wheel will lift first.

They had the advantage of being cheaply accessible to anyone with a motorcycle licence. I had an Aunt and Uncle who found their Reliant three wheeler FAR more agreeable than the motorcycle / sidecar combination that they had endured for many years!

I just don't want one, thank you.
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Penman wrote:
alastair; you mention weight restrictions, I believe that the spare wheel had to be an optional extra because if it had been included in the basic vehicle spec it would have put it over the weight which qualified it to driven on a M/bike licence.

I always wondered how easy changing the front wheel would be, especially at the roadside.
badhuis

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bitumen Boy wrote:
I always wondered how easy changing the front wheel would be, especially at the roadside.

There is nothing special in the handbook about it. It only shows the front and rear jacking points, where the front one is under the chassis just in front of the door. Supposedly this will jack up the front of the car enough to remove it. It seems there is enough room beside the wheel to take it off. Whatever, I think you more or less have to lie on the ground to do this. And preferably with a sturdy axle support under the chassis, not the jack only (although there's no mention in the handbook on this).
Penman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

badhuis wrote:

There is nothing special in the handbook about it. It only shows the front and rear jacking points, where the front one is under the chassis just in front of the door. Supposedly this will jack up the front of the car enough to remove it. It seems there is enough room beside the wheel to take it off. Whatever, I think you more or less have to lie on the ground to do this. And preferably with a sturdy axle support under the chassis, not the jack only (although there's no mention in the handbook on this).

I would have thought that using a jacking point just in front of the door would still take the weight off the rear wheel on that side leaving the car ballanced on one rear wheel and the front one, unless the jacking point is actually on that line but nearer the centre of the chassis's longitudinal axis.
Or maybe it is actually right at the front of the chassis's forward extensions and of course extra weight over the N/S rear wheel would help to keep it down.

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
Keith D

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One's opinion of the roadholding qualities of a Reliant would depend on where one was sitting when making the comment.

For example, if one were sitting in something like a modern sports car, then the comparison would be horrific.

However, in my days of driving a death-trap Bond Minicar, I would have considered a Reliant three wheeler one of the most stable and safe cars on the road!

Keith
1999 BMW Z3
Its weird being the same age as old people.
You are either part of the problem or part of the solution
Ray White

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keith D wrote:
One's opinion of the roadholding qualities of a Reliant would depend on where one was sitting when making the comment.

For example, if one were sitting in something like a modern sports car, then the comparison would be horrific.

However, in my days of driving a death-trap Bond Minicar, I would have considered a Reliant three wheeler one of the most stable and safe cars on the road!

Keith

My Isetta 300 wasn't exactly stable but realising that, I dove it carefully and never actually turned it over.

Having said that I knew a fellow student whose bubble car had been "clipped" by a lorry. He lost count of the number of times it rolled over down an embankment and he suffered some serious injuries; his face looked like someone had taken a carving knife to it. Shocked
Ray White

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Called a "safety Seven"; I wonder what is safe about it?

https://www.carandclassic.com/car/C1531843
bjacko

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 6:21 am    Post subject: Safety Seven Reply with quote

Not a lot I would imagine. Isle of Man registration too.
Ray White

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Safety Seven Reply with quote

bjacko wrote:
Not a lot I would imagine. Isle of Man registration too.

.. Isle of Man?

3 wheels?

No trouble!
Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: