classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Norton CS1
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Ray White

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 9:25 pm    Post subject: Norton CS1 Reply with quote

We don't often discuss motorbikes. I thought some of you guys might like to see what my Dad had as a young man. He was a real "hands on" motorbike enthusiast so it is understandable that his stable would include a Norton.

I imagine his actual machine might well have survived as from what he told me he completely restored it - including having new bevel gears made for the famous "cricket bat" overhead camshaft drive.

The Norton CS1 (camshaft senior) was an important machine in it's day having proved itself in racing and it led onto the highly successful "International" model. Unfortunately the events of 1939 precluded my Dad from competing at Brooklands with the Norton.

These are - and always have been - quite rare machines so it was nice to see an obviously "home" restoration of one for sale.
https://www.yesterdays.nl/product/norton-1929-490cc-cs1-1-cyl-ohc-3209/
peter scott

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That does look a lovely machine. My father never owned a bike but his big brother did and let my father ride it in this photo. Needless to say it was a Scott.

Peter
Ray White

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously, I am not in a position to give first hand opinions but from what others have said, the Scott was a fine machine. It may not have been much of a "looker" but it excelled where it mattered. Exceedingly well built and with lovely road manners, I understand.

Personally, the only motorbikes I have ridden were a BSA Bantam that Dad gave me to restore -and that couldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding - and a Honda 175 that belonged to a friend in the sixth form. The Honda was quite good actually!

Other things that are probably best forgotten were a Vespa and Honda 50.

My Dad put me off motorbikes by going on about friends who had come to grief on them.
Like you, Peter, I had a Mother who was quite at home on a motor bike. Dad built her a "bitsa" from a Triumph frame and Villiers engine. It must have been pretty quick because apparently she could almost keep up with the Norton.!! Personally, I think she was just the better rider of the two!
Penman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the Norton What is the largish item between the cylinder and the front, down tube/s part of the frame?
It appears to be blocking airflow to the cooling fins on the pot.

It doesn't appear on the photo on the Wiki page.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norton_CS1

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
Keith D

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My brother has only one motorcycle among his collection of old cars, tractors and a traction engine. It is a fully restored Scott Flying Squirrel - 1937 I think. A nice looking bike, but I'm not sure I'm too keen on a water cooled single cylinder two stroke engine!

I'll photograph it the next time I'm down at his farm.

Keith
1999 BMW Z3
Its weird being the same age as old people.
You are either part of the problem or part of the solution
Ray White

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Penman wrote:
On the Norton What is the largish item between the cylinder and the front, down tube/s part of the frame?
It appears to be blocking airflow to the cooling fins on the pot.

It doesn't appear on the photo on the Wiki page.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norton_CS1

Empty space.
Miken

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bike in the top picture is a lovely looking machine. One of my favourites.
I feel the position of the front brake lever indicates the brake is either worn out or incorrectly set up.
The back brake is a bit better.
Ray White

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miken wrote:
The bike in the top picture is a lovely looking machine. One of my favourites.
I feel the position of the front brake lever indicates the brake is either worn out or incorrectly set up.
The back brake is a bit better.

To me it looks like both brakes are incorrectly set up. For optimum braking efficiency I would say the lever at rest needs to be set before 90 degrees and pass through the right angle in use.
The rear brake is via a pedal on the left which crosses to the lever on the right side of the hub.

What fascinates me about these old bikes is the hand lever gear change. Here on this 'Sturmey Archer' the kick start appears to operate through the gearbox.?

I noted valve lifters on the handle bars. Left is the usual clutch lever but where I am at a loss is how it operates the clutch. The outer stops at the operating arm but the 'inner' appears to be fixed below it?? Perhaps someone could elaborate?
mikeC

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My grandfather was a great motorcycle man, and loved his Scotts; here are three of them:

Ray White

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my customers is a motorcycle enthusiast.
He once stated that he owned a DOT ; assuming that as I was just a car guy I would not know the name...

I replied "devoid of trouble".

That surprised him!! Laughing

(As it happens, the marque is still in business)
peter scott

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray White wrote:

I noted valve lifters on the handle bars. Left is the usual clutch lever but where I am at a loss is how it operates the clutch. The outer stops at the operating arm but the 'inner' appears to be fixed below it?? Perhaps someone could elaborate?

One of the small levers is a valve lifter and you can see it entering at the top of the engine. There look to be two cables entering the top of the carb so I would guess the second small lever operates the slow running.

Peter
Ray White

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you are right. There would only be one valve lifter. I still can't fathom the clutch though. I would have thought the inner cable would pull on the ball end of the clutch lever?

Perhaps I am missing something?
lowdrag

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started my biking career with a Sun 98cc 2-speed, but quickly changed to a Francis Barnett 250cc Cruiser, then a 35occ ex-WD Matchless still with the whip aerial on the back! And very reliable it was too. My younger days biking finished with a 500cc Gold Star, but in my fifties the yearning returned and I had a revelation of a machine, a Honda VFR 800. We went all the way from the Midlands to the Bol d'Or in France, and it was so comfortable. There is a bike coming up for auction this week, one I never knew existed, but is an 80's Honda tribute to the British bikes of the fifties, a 500cc mono-cylinder but with all mod cons like electric start etc. If it's cheap enough (and they are talking around £3,000) I may have a punt. There are also two more but 400cc.
peter scott

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray White wrote:
I think you are right. There would only be one valve lifter. I still can't fathom the clutch though. I would have thought the inner cable would pull on the ball end of the clutch lever?

I think the clutch cable ends up at the little lever below the gear change. So I guess it goes through the gearbox to a release mechanism hidden in the chain case on the other side.

Peter
Ray White

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peter scott wrote:
Ray White wrote:

I think the clutch cable ends up at the little lever below the gear change. So I guess it goes through the gearbox to a release mechanism hidden in the chain case on the other side.

Peter

I agree the little black lever below the gear change operates the clutch. What is puzzling me is the cable. The outer terminates at the top of the ball on the lever and the inner appears to pass through it. The way I see it, the inner needs to pull on the under side of the little lever and the outer ought to be fixed further up or the lever will not move.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: