classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Merry Christmas & Happy 2023
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:00 am    Post subject: Merry Christmas & Happy 2023 Reply with quote

All the best everyone!

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
peter scott

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In 1984 I took a photo of the Queen giving her final Christmas message on the 405 line system just before the Kirk o' Shotts transmitter was shut down. Last year I converted her broadcast to 405 lines and sent it to my 1936 HMV901 mirror lid television on the channel 1 frequencies transmitted from the Alexandra Palace back in 1936.

Ellis

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

May I wish you all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Ellis

1964 Jaguar Mark 2 3.4 litre
1962 Land Rover Series 2a 88"
2002 BMW M3 E46 Cabriolet
Keith D

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a great Christmas and a safe and healthy new year to all old car nuts on this forum!

Keith
1999 BMW Z3
Its weird being the same age as old people.
You are either part of the problem or part of the solution
badhuis

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peter scott wrote:
In 1984 I took a photo of the Queen giving her final Christmas message on the 405 line system just before the Kirk o' Shotts transmitter was shut down. Last year I converted her broadcast to 405 lines and sent it to my 1936 HMV901 mirror lid television on the channel 1 frequencies transmitted from the Alexandra Palace back in 1936.

Wonderful to see this. Hats off to you for getting something on the old TV set. Is the smaller picture the 1984 broadcast in colour? Surely the old television set was not able to present it in colour?
peter scott

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know, the smaller photo does make it look as if the screen image is in colour but it wasn't. I think there must have been some chemical distortion relating brightness to colour. Perhaps I should convert the screen image part of the photo to greyscale. Here it is greyscaled and another photo taken at the time unaltered.

Peter
V8 Nutter

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's clever stuff, getting those old TV's to work like that.
Penman

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

with reference to B/W images appearing coloured.
In the earlyish ITV days there was supposed to be a cartoon advert, not sure who it was for, which incorporated flickering images/lines. It was said that some people could see colours when watching.
It may, of course, have just been an advertising ploy to get people to watch, but a few years ago there was an image of a dress doing the rounds on t'internet that some saw as one combination of colours and others a different one.
https://slate.com/technology/2017/04/heres-why-people-saw-the-dress-differently.html

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
Ray White

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our 15 year old TV has packed up... just before Christmas.! The new one was over £1K but is much better.

I wouldn't like to go back to the little black and white screen but I admire your ability to fix them. Well done Peter.
peter scott

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Penman wrote:
with reference to B/W images appearing coloured.
In the earlyish ITV days there was supposed to be a cartoon advert, not sure who it was for, which incorporated flickering images/lines. It was said that some people could see colours when watching.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=625539991364694
Penman

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Peter, interesting comment about viewing conditions because as I remember it we had a 9" or 10" Pye vertical screen, not the mirror screen like yours and it was very common to be in a darkened room and not sitting too far away otherwise you couldn't see enough detail in the picture.
We didn't even bother with a magnifying lens that could be put in front of the screen.
We only had our old 1948 Pye because my father refused to replace it befor the new systems were in. did 625 pre-date colour or were they introduced at the same time?

Straight 6
V8 V10
Ray White

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our family has a long association with Woking, Surrey. One of my ancestors had a shop selling electrical appliances including TV sets. Difficult for us to imagine now, but in the mid 1930s (in a situation similar to later DVD/Betamax) there were two different systems; the Baird 240 lines and the Marconi/EMI 405 lines. This meant that different sets worked on alternative weeks!

My (late) Great Uncle claimed to have sold the first TV set from his shop in Woking. Apparently he could get a signal from the transmitter in Alexander Palace (which sounds unlikely to me) and the TV - a Baird - was set up in the shop window where people would gather on the pavement to see it.!

The Baird system eventually gave way to Marconi/EMI - presumably to the consternation of purchasers if Baird sets?
peter scott

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray White wrote:
Difficult for us to imagine now, but in the mid 1930s (in a situation similar to later DVD/Betamax) there were two different systems; the Baird 240 lines and the Marconi/EMI 405 lines. This meant that different sets worked on alternative weeks!

The Baird system eventually gave way to Marconi/EMI - presumably to the consternation of purchasers if Baird sets?

Not quite the same as the VHS/Betamax contest. Both of those were well engineered and gave good results.

The Marconi-EMI / Baird contest was actually one of studio technology. The former was well engineered and evolved to survive for 50 years of good service. The latter was devised in a totally impracticable way resulting in frequent breakdowns and strong objections from production staff and performers who were all relieved to see it dropped.

Fortunately the receiving sets from all manufacturers including Baird were switchable between the two standards so no home purchasers were disappointed.

Peter

Last edited by peter scott on Thu Dec 22, 2022 9:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Penman

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray; Ally Pally was both the pre-war transmitter, when they initially did those repeat programmes and then settled on Marconi, then after the war they reopened Ally Pally. It was that aerial which served just the home counties, we were in Guildford. It was only later that Sutton Coldfield and Wenvoe opened (not sure which came first then I believe Holmfirth was the next going Northwards.
https://www.bbc.com/historyofthebbc/research/story-of-bbc-television/

The Baird system was actually mechanical, I liken it to a Zoetrope or flicker book which is something we have all tried to draw/make at some time on the corners of book pages.

Straight 6
V8 V10
Keith D

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the great things about OCC is that we can discuss and thoroughly enjoy historical things or items that are not necessarily directly related to cars.

We have a lot of skills and interests within this forum. Peter Scott and Penman are examples in this particular thread, but there are many others as well.

Fantastic!

Keith
1999 BMW Z3
Its weird being the same age as old people.
You are either part of the problem or part of the solution
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: