classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Austin A55
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
norustplease

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 5:37 pm    Post subject: Austin A55 Reply with quote

No, not one of your Farina jobs, but a chunky Cambridge Mk 1 of 1957
vintage.
I acquired it from its previous owner in late September of this year (2022). It started life as an all grey car, and when featured in Practical Classics in 2011, it had been restored and had a mileage of around the 60k mark. At what point it became two tone I am not sure. It was certainly prior to a photo shoot in early 2017, recorded in the Cambridge owners club gallery, and it went on sale again later that year, probably to the person from whom I bought it, here in Chorley.

The colour scheme isn't right, of course, it should have a boot and roof to match the sides and a lightning trim dividing the colours behind the headlights. The car had been repainted originally in that area, as if it were a Westminster, with a colour divide under the headlights, which I corrected. I now have the correct trims, and when weather permits, will probably adjust the paintwork locally once more. It still won't be right, but I like it.

Anyway, the old restoration is holding up well, and I have extensive records in the form of MOT's going back into the 1980's plus a few invoices, that suggest that the current mileage of around 65k is probably correct, the car in later life having travelled very few miles every year. There is the old green logbook as well, and overall, it seems to have spent most of its life in the North East and Yorkshire.

To date, apart from conditioning the leather upholstery, doing the small amount of paintwork and a service, I have done relatively little to it. The only 'major' jobs have been getting the very bubbly back bumper re-chromed, and changing the oil filter for a spin on adapter, which proved to be a bit of a pain due to access issues, and I am not certain, even now, that the banjo joint to the adapter is properly leak free. That apart I enjoy the comfortable drive, especially the automatic overdrive and freewheel that the car is fitted with.
The period Ecko radio works, but there is very little to listen to on the wavelengths that it can receive. The car also has a sliding steel sun roof, but as yet I have not opened it. The underside seems good, with a couple of recent small pieces of welding in the floor, done to a good neat standard. Tyres are good tread wise, but could probably due with new in the Spring, due to their age.
My only action to the underside so far has been to pull some loose underseal off the front cross member and to spray underbody wax here and there, further progress being inhibited by some arctic weather.
We are now waiting for some sun and some fifties motoring.
Photos were taken in the Autumn before the big freeze.

Boring Tucson SUV
Penman

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is like the one I had with the overdrive.
What is the script underneath "Cambridge" on the boot lid.

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's really nice, the interior looks very well preserved and good to see the original registration still on it.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
peter scott

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks in really good shape inside and out.
My Rapier that was my every day transport 50 years ago had the same radio and I remember it worked well and the presets were good.

Peter
Ray White

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the two tone paint job. I certainly wouldn't change it now. I also like the blue interior. A lovely car. I also wondered what the script on the bootlid says.

I wish I had taken some photos of my low milage A55. As I may have recalled before, it had belonged to a friend of my Dad so we knew it well. It had a floor change but no free wheel or overdrive which it would have benefitted from.

My Brother took it on when I got my first Company car and, sadly, it did not fare too well from then on. Sad
norustplease

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all. The script on the boot says Overdrive. I haven't had chance to drive it very far as yet, mainly due to the weather, but it is a very pleasant and comfortable drive, although I will need to be careful with the freewheel on some of our Pennine roads.
Boring Tucson SUV
Ray White

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WEll, I think it's great.! The one thing to watch out for is water leaking past the rear window seal. If it happens it can make a mess of the headlining. On my car, synchromesh was always weak on second gear...but otherwise it was a very easy car to live with. Solid as a rock. Lovely.

Ray.
Miken

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice.
I really like the 2 tone paint job.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One area where these cars tend to rot, specific to them, is the tops of the rear wings, forward ends, I think there's a ledge underneath that tends to fill up with mud, gets damp, and gradually disintegrates. It'd be worth scraping out any mud build-up under there, if you haven't already.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Penman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
norustplease wrote:
Hi all. The script on the boot says Overdrive. I haven't had chance to drive it very far as yet, mainly due to the weather, but it is a very pleasant and comfortable drive, although I will need to be careful with the freewheel on some of our Pennine roads.

The main thing to remember abouit the Freewheel is that in order to get back to a normal "locked" drive the engine has to be pulling not freewheeling.
It can be a bit frightening if you haven't anticipated the next sharp downhill with bends.
Taking your foot of the gas on the level gives, providing your brakes aren't dragging a fairly long undriven run, but of course tickover is still using fuel while freewheeling. unlike moderns with injection which have a fuel return valve and just let enough through to prevent stalling.

Straight 6
V8 V10

Last edited by Penman on Fri Dec 23, 2022 12:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ray White

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick wrote:
One area where these cars tend to rot, specific to them, is the tops of the rear wings, forward ends, I think there's a ledge underneath that tends to fill up with mud, gets damp, and gradually disintegrates. It'd be worth scraping out any mud build-up under there, if you haven't already.

RJ

Ah Yes!
I had forgotten about that! I expect that has already been repaired in the past. It may well reappear so I would a treat the area with wax oil.
Penman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Cambridge Wiki page shows a 2 tone version which I think is the original set-up.
Mine was a single colour Grey and that had a red interior. but I think back then it was possible to mix and match exterior and interior colours.

Straight 6
V8 V10
consul 57

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice car, 2 tone suits it, can't beat 50's cars IMHO!
norustplease

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray White wrote:
WEll, I think it's great.! The one thing to watch out for is water leaking past the rear window seal. If it happens it can make a mess of the headlining. On my car, synchromesh was always weak on second gear...but otherwise it was a very easy car to live with. Solid as a rock. Lovely.

Ray.

Seems a decent gearchange, probably helped of course by the freewheel.
Weak second gear synchro was also a feature of the Wolseley.
Boring Tucson SUV
norustplease

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Penman wrote:
Hi
norustplease wrote:

The main thing to remember abouit the Freewheel is that in order to get back to a normal "locked" drive the engine has to be pulling not freewheeling.
It can be a bit frightening if you haven't anticipated the next sharp downhill with bends.
Taking your foot of the gas on the level gives, providing your brakes aren't dragging a fairly long undriven run, but of course tickover is still using fuel while freewheeling. unlike moderns with injection which have a fuel return valve and just let enough through to prevent stalling.

Yes, I have had a SAAB with a freewheel, once you are used to it of course, then it is quite pleasant. The car also has a kickdown facility which knocks it out of overdrive if you need a little extra urge. The difference in ratios is not enormous, 0.7 : 1 in Overdrive 4th as opposed to 1:1 , but at the speeds at which you are likely to be cruising in a 50's car in modern road conditions, it does refine the drive just that little bit more.
Boring Tucson SUV
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: