classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Godstone Pumping Station saved.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Ray White

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 1:31 pm    Post subject: Godstone Pumping Station saved. Reply with quote

Believe it or not, some good things happened this year! One of them was the purchase of the Godstone Pumping station in Hove by millionaire Professor Paul Dolan. The Professor is famed for being a major shareholder in the Brighton Pier and for writing the book "Happiness by Design".
What has a Victorian Pumping Station got to do with Classic cars you might ask? In 1981 The Brighton and Hove Engineerium came to the rescue of a Grout Steam Car that had been virtually destroyed by being towed. The car was repaired and went on to complete two London to Brighton Veteran Car runs.!

Happy days. 'Tilly' on a 'run' back in the 80's.

Last edited by Ray White on Mon Dec 26, 2022 7:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Penman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray; you might want to do an edit and add the missing "l".

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
Miken

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an engineering apprentice in the 1970's we were sent there( Goldstone) by the company for a week's work experience (needle gunning rust mainly) during the restoration of the site by Johnathan Minns.
I have attended many events there over the years. It's only a couple of miles from where I live. I drove there once from home on my half size steam tractor.
Hopefully it will reopen to the public soon again at last.
The huge beam engine is a wonderful thing to watch when it's in steam.
The engineers workshop there is great too. It has a large large lathe driven by lineshaft which in turn can be driven by the workshop steam engine.
The steam car was restored by a member of my model engineering club who is also caretaker/ chief engineer there now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: