classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Morris Minor wipers
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ray

The DR2 was used on many vehicles in the 50's/ 60's and were reasonably plentiful, and cheap, they are simple to mount, however they seem to be pricey these days and getting the correct wheel to suit the sweep can be difficult (expensive!) hence I resorted to modifying the pin position on the unit that I obtained.

You probably would be better going for the later Lucas 14W wiper motor, as fitted to everything BMC and others from the mid 60's, you can pick them up much cheaper than DR2's and purchase new wheels with a sweep that works for your car. Car Builder Solutions sell all the bits:

https://www.carbuilder.com/uk/search?q=wiper

Dave
Ray White

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ukdave2002 wrote:
Hi Ray

The DR2 was used on many vehicles in the 50's/ 60's and were reasonably plentiful, and cheap, they are simple to mount, however they seem to be pricey these days and getting the correct wheel to suit the sweep can be difficult (expensive!) hence I resorted to modifying the pin position on the unit that I obtained.

You probably would be better going for the later Lucas 14W wiper motor, as fitted to everything BMC and others from the mid 60's, you can pick them up much cheaper than DR2's and purchase new wheels with a sweep that works for your car. Car Builder Solutions sell all the bits:

https://www.carbuilder.com/uk/search?q=wiper

Dave

I spoke with Car Builder Solutions today and they were helpful but unfortunately their 14 W wiper kit was out of stock.

I did find a two speed DR3 complete with cable, wheel boxes etc. described as being in "good used condition fully serviced working well." The seller wants £80 but requests collect in person from Cheshire. (From here in Derby, it would probably cost as much in petrol). There is no mention of the sweep angle which I have been told needs to be @100 degrees.

I had intended using an original dashboard back lighting switch. That would be fine with a single speed motor ...but I am now wondering if it would be frustrating. A two speed wiper would mean finding a suitable switch and mounting it under the dash.
Ray White

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As we all know there is a need to be cautious when dealing with stuff advertised on eBay. When I asked the seller for the sweep angle he replied, sarcastically, that he would get his slide rule out!. I could have replied that the angle is printed on the gear wheel and if he had serviced the device - as stated in his advert - he would have known that, but I just can't be bothered.

Buy that one?....... No thank you.!
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd still go for a 14W, they are very common, I can see one on eBay for £20, if it has the incorrect sweep, Car Builder Solutions stock new 100° Gears for the 14W. https://www.carbuilder.com/uk/100-degree-gear-for-wiper-kit

You can then select the other components (wheel box's & cable) to suit..job done! Smile

dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: