classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Toyota Starlet SR
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
smallzoo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:44 pm    Post subject: Toyota Starlet SR Reply with quote

I have a Toyota Starlet SR which is a great car. I think I got it for a bargain last year for my son to drive. He's now moved out and I dont want it just sitting there.

Its a Cat N ( previous owner's son bumped the bonnet ) so no real damage at all. It will have 12 months MOT from tomorrow.

I've been told as its an SR its very rare and I should ask for £2500-3000

What do people think ?.. is it worth that or even more

Is there a better place to sell other than a Facebook group ?
Penman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had 2 Starlets on the driving school.
This was the first one.

The second one 2 years later also in silver had a flassh stencil along the side "under/" the rubbing strip which I think may have been an SR.
Are you talkin about the RWD ones or an FWD one?
According to Wiki series 2 RWDs can be difficult to get hold of because many have been used in Motorsport.

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
smallzoo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:17 pm    Post subject: Starlet Reply with quote

RHD I think

Penman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
I weas talking about which side the steering wheel is.
that looks like the later Front Wheel Drive (FWD) of which I have no experience.

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Penman says, the earlier Starlets are RWD (Rear Wheel Drive) and popular in rallying. I can't see there being much following for the later FWD (Front Wheel Drive) cars to be honest, but it's not an area I know much about.

The silver FWD car might be fairly scarce now, but are many people looking to buy them, thus keeping values up? I don't know. I'd ebay it and see what happens, maybe do a search on there (including in the Completed Items) to try and get a steer on current values.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know nothing about Starlets, however your car looks like a 00's car....in 2009 I bought my daughter a 2 year old Renault Clio when she was learning to drive, it became a family "pass me down" and now my youngest and current custodian wants to buy a newer car, the Clio has a £280 trade in value!, basically because it is now 16 years old and has some knocks and scrapes, service history has been lost , it has 96,000 miles on the clock. Ironically it has just passed its MOT with zero advisories!

So I am going to have it, sort the body work out, probably put a new clutch and cam belt in (both original) and refurbish anything that needs it. The engine and gearbox are good and typically go for at least 150,000 miles, so it should be a good little run about when sorted, but worth around £1k max.

Dave
smallzoo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:31 pm    Post subject: Starlet Reply with quote

Just passed its MOT no advisories. even the MOT garage said it was a very rare car. I've had people quoting me between £2000 and £3000 but I guess it depends on how much somebody wants it and is prepared to pay

thanks everyone anyway
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Starlet Reply with quote

smallzoo wrote:
Just passed its MOT no advisories. even the MOT garage said it was a very rare car. I've had people quoting me between £2000 and £3000 but I guess it depends on how much somebody wants it and is prepared to pay

thanks everyone anyway
Well £3k should be the starting point, stick it on eBay with a £3k start...costs nothing to list....

Dave
smallzoo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:30 pm    Post subject: Starket Reply with quote

Thanks everyone

So I presume the Cat N won't make any difference ?
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Starket Reply with quote

smallzoo wrote:
Thanks everyone

So I presume the Cat N won't make any difference ?
On a newish vehicle cat N would probably reduce the value by 20%, I would think less on yours and if its a rare car probably nothing.

Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: