classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Impatience everywhere
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:13 pm    Post subject: Impatience everywhere Reply with quote

In this last week alone, two different drivers have done their level best to cause me significant crashes. In the Standard last week, someone just drifted out from a road on my left, barely looking if at all, it very nearly ended in me re-profiling the side of their car (and probably myself).

Then over the weekend, a clown in a silver Citroen turned sharply across our bows at a crossroads while we were driving the pickup, only good brakes and swift direction changes avoiding a shunt in both cases.

Do they see something old and assume we're at a snail's pace? Do they just not look properly? In the Dodge's case it isn't exactly small, and on both occasions our headlights were on.

It just goes to show that you have to assume everyone out there is an idiot, and out to drive into you.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Penman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know what they say Rick. "All cars contain nuts"

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
Ray White

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What amazes me is the way dangerous driving is treated by the Courts. I sometimes watch 'interceptors' because they often show car chases around the Derby area. The Police do their best but dangerous drivers only get a slap on the wrist. If they are banned it is not usually for more than two years.

I would ban most of these idiots for 10 years at least; and a heavy fine might bring them to their senses too.
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Impatience everywhere Reply with quote

Rick wrote:
Do they see something old and assume we're at a snail's pace? RJ

Yes, I think so. I've been overtaken a few times in the Firenza on A-roads where my car is quite easily capable of sitting at the speed limit. It's crazy when people pull out of side roads - if they think that our old vehicles are slow, why don't they also think that our brakes will be rubbish?

Ray White wrote:
If they are banned it is not usually for more than two years.

I would ban most of these idiots for 10 years at least; and a heavy fine might bring them to their senses too.

Many of them are already banned, when one of the new charges is "driving while disqualified" I often think "well, that's a waste of time". I'd have thought it should get to a custodial sentence quite quickly in those cases.

I also watch that, and Traffic Cops and a few others, mainly for the car chases, but also for the belligerent ones which can be quite entertaining. I usually switch off before they start reading out the sentences at the end, one of the recent ones was quite sad.
Ray White

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Police stopped one little Urchin near here for driving like a loon. He had no tax or insurance, yet was drawing attention to himself for being three times over the limit. He was also done for drugs. He was given a few hours "unpaid work" and his car was crushed..

What a Pratt.!
Rolling Eyes
alastairq

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
his car was crushed

This, I think is probably the most effective form of 'punishment' available for these sorts of motoring offences.

If folk thought they'd lose their motors to the crusher without recourse, if found committing offences like driving whilst disqualified, etc etc, then perhaps it might focus their attention a bit more?
Especially if daddy has let them drive....

With a Court appearance on top of that.
----------------------------------------------
Ford Pop chassis, Ashley 1172 bodyshell, in pieces.
petelang

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been a near victim a few times this last week.
For some inexplicable reason, it always seems to be some prat in a BMW. Overtaking on inside lane, dashing to change lane at an approaching junction and another idiot who doesn't recognise that he's supposed to give way to traffic already on an island (missed by inches).

In Nottingham there are a huge number of drivers who don't have a licence and subsequently are uninsured, frequently they are driving stolen cars with cloned plates. Sadly, a lot of these oiks seem to think this behavior is completely normal and to them, socially acceptable.
It's like the wild west. Consequently you need eyes in the back of your head and always drive defensively.
Crushing their cars is something I would support but then they are more likely to nick someone else's!
No, the punishment needs to be severe. Like making them mop up the remains of a serious crash and having to explain to a family. That might just bring home how utterly stupid their behaviour is. Or perhaps we should not crush the car, but put the perpetrators in the crusher!
WP6980

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it matters a jot if you are in an old car or a modern, there are "drivers" who are so unaware of what is going on & just drift about the road.

The worst offenders are the ones that join a motorway from a slip road and then proceed to move over into the outside lane in a single manoeuvre - they can't have even looked in their mirror.

Sussex Police (where I live) have a thing called 'safer road' where you can report bad driving, if there is dash cam footage and the offence is prosecutable (is that a real word), then they will.

Driving an old car does make you more aware of what is going on, modern cars are so insulated from the road and that gives a false sense of security and maybe a factor in poor driving.

I have always thought the best means to ensure safe driving is to have a deadly spike sticking up from the steering wheel, behaviour would change instantly!
Penman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There wasa fatal hit and run outside a local school down here a couple of months ago, 30 limit posted and none of the 20 when school lights flash signage.
His parents are campaigning for a 20 outside every school, but frankly I don't see that it would make a difference.
If they are prepared to do 40 + in a 30 then they are just as likely to do it in a 20 .

Straight 6
V8 V10
Ray White

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Gary says, driving an old car you are made more aware of what is going on around you. This is probably why older drivers tend to be safer; they usually have experience of driving cars that are devoid of today's comforts. If you start off having to allow for your car's braking distance, for example, you are now much less likely to be 'tail gating' on the Motorway.

Unfortunately, just as Rick said, the feeling is that we now have to expect everyone else to be driving like an idiot.

Anyone old enough to remember when seat belts came in, will also recall the warnings that it would encourage a false sense of security. Hmmmm.
Keith D

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have more than our fair share of idiots. This very morning I was driving on a two lane carriageway to the nearby town sitting on the speed limit of eighty km/hour, following a line of moving traffic, all at eighty km/hour. An idiot in a Toyota Camry hurtled past us all travelling at least 120km/hour. The fast lane ended and this driver resorted to left hand indicators, savage breaking and almost putting two cars in the ditch as he swung straight into a lane that was already full.

Penman - We have 40km/hour speed limits at our schools. These limit only apply between 7.30 and 9.00 am and 2.30 and 4.00 pm and only on school days. It can be confusing, but we have had them long enough that they are accepted as genuine safety measures. Most of these signs have speed cameras nearby and fines are quite savage, plus a number of demerit points. (12 demerit points in three years means a loss of licence for 3 months and 12 points in a year means no licence for a year. If the offender is on 'Plates his/her licence is cancelled. Driving while disqualified means a jail sentence.) It seems to work quite well as speeding at schools is not often seen.

Keith
1999 BMW Z3
Its weird being the same age as old people.
You are either part of the problem or part of the solution
bjacko

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:35 am    Post subject: Hoons on the road Reply with quote

Gee and I thought it was only in Melbourne. The police are far too lenient with them. They get their car crushed for a I think a second offence but it does not deter them even in cars they borrow from mummy and daddy or their mates. The most common remark by them when they are caught is "s**t happens" even when you point out they could have killed one of their own close relatives.
Ray White

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I would like to know is: can these driverless cars read road signs? How else will they know the speed limit?
peter scott

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My satnav knows the speed limits.

Peter

Last edited by peter scott on Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Penman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter: driving down a major road with a higher limit if there is a fixed camera on a road crossing over or under my Sat Nav will often give a lower speed warning even though it knows I am still on the major road

Straight 6
V8 V10
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: