classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Impatience everywhere
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
petelang

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't help thinking after reading most recent contributions, that if artificial intelligence was employed to assess a pass standard for drivers to achieve a licence, there would be a far greater level of failure to pass since logic would dictate and eliminate any emotive assessment.
Perhaps this would be a good thing?
In fact, if new drivers were assessed constantly and the black box detected them driving substantially below required standard and downgraded the vehicles performance or prevented them from driving at all by preventing them from starting or driving further we might all be significantly safer.
A bit like dad taking the keys off you after you've been spotted doing something stupid.
Good idea or not?
Ray White

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like something from a George Orwell novel... Shocked
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.wearemarmalade.co.uk/black-box-insurance

Maybe this should be mandatory for a period after passing the driving test.
alastairq

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For decades now, I haven't considered new drivers to be the issue regarding road safety.
They are far better 'trained' and assessed [emotive responses ar essentially, 'ironed out' by Examiner's training courses}than ever older drivers were.

The real issues regarding road safety {IMHO] center on the 40-70 year old drivers.
Most Of whom, by any metric, should know better, think they know better, but, in fact, haven't a clue!
This is borne out by observations of drivers ,something I did for decades, as part of ''the job?''

The problem with older drivers, IMHO, is that they try to invent their own ideas about 'safety'....with age bringing the arrogance of thinking ''they know better''.
This aspect is symptomatic of what is known as 'training-fade', or 'skills-fade'

Drivers have a habit of learning the wrong things from experience.

Which is why, in any industry, training needs to be continuous rather than a 'one-off'.

LGV and PCV drivers are better off for the 5 year refresher courses {CPC] than without.
Many transport employers put their drivers through regular driving assessments [EYMS, for example, had their own in-house instructors/assessors]...thus keeping drivers on top of the game.

Perhaps insurers should have a more active role to play in driver training? They do so with the road haulage industry, so why not with the private vehicle world?
Insures could insist on drivers who have successful claims made against them, undergo driver assessments and necessary re-training before they can be insured again?

When I hear that phrase 'common sense'' being spouted, I am reminded that one person's idea of common sense, is another person's idea of idiocy.

New drivers have to have achieved a far higher standard of competence to pass the current driving test, than older drivers.

There more to the driving test syllabus than merely some civil servant's idea of what should be done.

When I worked for the last 2 decades before finishing with work[some say, retiring...I don't look at it like that at all]...I had to undergo training courses on ''how to assess.''
Particularly, how to assess someone's driving.

Back in the very late 1970's, I was asked to 'coach' my then-current MIL prior to her taking her driving test [she had failed so many times,she was eligible for the Guiness Book of Records!]

The thinking was, as a bus driver, I ought to have a good idea of what was required.
Apparently she was more frightened of my 'assessments' than she was of the examiner, and passed.
Prior to that, when not under the stress of a 'test', she was a perfectly competent driver....in my view...In other words, riding as a passenger, I wasn't gripping the dashboard!

Decades later when I came to do my in-house training courses which were normal for us as instructors...[OFSTED also loomed large]...I discovered how far off the mark with the art of 'assessment' I really was all those years back.

What AI struggles with, is the varying circumstances at the time, and how much benefit of the doubt comes into play.
----------------------------------------------
Ford Pop chassis, Ashley 1172 bodyshell, in pieces.
Ray White

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One particular issue (that I have mentioned before) has less to do with motorists or their cars and more to do with the design of road layout.

I was once nearly caught out by a set of traffic lights situated at the approach to a roundabout. The Powers that be had located a pedestrian crossing at the junction; in itself not problematic but when combined with a traffic light system it can be.

Take, for example, a motorist who is unfamiliar with the road in question. He has just crossed a series of 'lights controlled' junctions and traffic islands when he approaches a large roundabout.

Let us say he notices the pedestrian crossing signs and there is no one waiting to cross the road. He will see a green light and think it is safe to go onto the roundabout; only to realise at the last moment that it means nothing of the sort.

The green traffic light - in this instance- means there should be no pedestrians crossing his path and has nothing to do with the flow of traffic on the roundabout.

When this happened to me I was able to stop in time because I always look to the right regardless of what the traffic lights say... but I did have to brake suddenly and was VERY lucky that the car behind didn't rear end me, because like me, he must have thought that "Green" meant go and had followed me over the line.
bjacko

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 6:52 am    Post subject: Drivers Reply with quote

I am glad Alastairq didn't train me. What a lot of nonsense he wrote above. Just look at the statistics and see who are the people having accidents.
Look at the behaviour of many young drivers people who think they are Nigel Mansell, don't stop at stop signs, overtake on double white lines, drive through red lights etc and generally think they are invincible. At the same time there are some old drivers who think driving slower than everyone else is safer and are just mobile blockades and a menace. There are also many women drivers driving Mayfair jeeps and the like who have no idea about judging the size of their vehicle or the acceleration available, just watch them trying to park or driving out of a side street. As for truck drivers who used to be among the best drivers on the road many are now just bullies tailgating drivers who are driving at the speed limit, cutting cars off, overtaking on double white lines, falling asleep at the wheel, taking drugs to keep awake etc.
alastairq

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I am glad Alastairq didn't train me. What a lot of nonsense he wrote above. Just look at the statistics and see who are the people having accidents.

Then you would have had real trouble achieving the required standards on any of the courses we ran! Simples.

I don't know what the situation is in the Antipodes....but here in the UK, things have changed out of all proportion, driving-wise, in the past two decades or so.

The levels of driver competences a young driver has to display in order to achieve the required test standards are far higher than over-50's drivers needed to achieve.
As those new young drivers progress through life, they will take those enhanced driver skills with them.

But you rightly point out how the older generations [ 40 and upwards} are the drivers who display the arrogance of [supposed?] experience, whose driving standards can be, frankly, appalling.

Note, most if not all the examples you quote are not in fact, from the new-driver, younger, generations.

The real problem is, driver attitude.
Plus, the attitude of those looking at the situation from the outside.

The problem we face as drivers isn't really about what other road users do, or do not do, to affect us.
The problem we face is, how well, indeed, comfortably well, we cope with what those other road users do.

It doesn't help when trying to find a solution, to be sexist or ageist about it all.
Ray White

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem we have in our Lane is drugs. The mis fits arrive in groups of two or three cars and park close together so stuff can be passed through their open windows.

They don't just stop at dealing but get high as a kite and tear off like Lewis Hamilton. Just last week one of the idiots ran over a cat. It could just as easily have been a child.

We used to have a local Bobby who would keep on top of the problem... but when they cut back on "community policing" he was no where to be seen.
alastairq

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, Ray..the underlying issue with any sort of 'undesirable' behaviour is, enforcement.

Like most aspects that underspin our present UK society, chronic under investment over decades has led us to the state we now live in.
Health service
Prison system
Justice system
Social care
Transport
Defence
Power
etc etc etc
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not a new problem....

https://youtu.be/mwPSIb3kt_4
Ray White

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drugs abuse is the most insidious thing I can think of ...but it's just the tip of the anti social iceberg. When I take Dotty (my Chocolate Labrador) for a walk in the evening, my mood is often changed when I find drinks cans and fast food packaging scattered in the turning area which some morons use as a car park.

Matters get worse when I find someone has allowed their dog to use our grass verge as a toilet. Mad
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday it was the turn of the MX5 (bright yellow) to be cut up in a tiny village, fortunately I was in full-on pootle mode but the plonker in a Golf didn't even look before lurching out of a side turning. Given that I do so little mileage I'm amazed how often this is happening.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
peter scott

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the last few days I've been driving around in a hired Audi A3 40 TFSIe. This is a plug-in hybrid with a 6 speed DSG autobox. It has regenerative braking which is good but what I think is really bad is that it does very little energy recovery on the overrun (next to nothing in fact). Consequently if you want to charge the battery you have to lightly touch the brakes at every opportunity. No doubt giving the impression to drivers behind that you never learnt to drive properly.

Peter
Ray White

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if the battery still gets charged if you rest your foot on the brake but use the throttle as normal?
peter scott

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray White wrote:
I wonder if the battery still gets charged if you rest your foot on the brake but use the throttle as normal?

I haven't tried that but I suspect that you can charge the battery that way even though it doesn't make energy saving sense. I may say the road tests on this car suggest that the maximum electric range is 40 miles.

Peter.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: