classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Difficult choice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Ray White

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2023 1:03 pm    Post subject: Difficult choice. Reply with quote

Two of my favourite saloon cars from the 'sixties are to be auctioned by Mathewsons. If I had a choice on the day I would find it difficult to choose between them.

I would be interested to get your various opinions as to which, if either, you might go for - and why...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caJqXh8odGs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tjq61EDk1M
peter scott

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2023 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'd want the R version of the Princess. but would have no problem choosing the Daimler 250. Much more interesting.

Peter
Ray White

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2023 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peter scott wrote:
I think I'd want the R version of the Princess. but would have no problem choosing the Daimler 250. Much more interesting.

Peter

I have driven the 3 litre Vanden Plus; my Father in Law had two of them, although the first one in Peat over Stone was the nicest, being a manual with overdrive and free wheel. (The second was an automatic and much thirstier).

As you probably know, the RR engined version was much more powerful and although I have not driven one, I had a friend who ran one and despite being somewhat troublesome it had an impressive performance and he loved it.

I think it was a pity Austin felt the need to tinker with the original Pinin Farina body design as in my opinion the original was more attractive.

As to that glorious V8 Daimler; I worked on one of those when I was at a garage in Ash Vale, Hants. Even in the 1970s the problem was rust. Although they were somewhat over engineered, there were some horrible rust traps under that fabulous shape . That said, the one on offer appears to have been well looked after.

I know the Daimler is a better car to drive and parts are more readily available but I am still attracted by the idea of owning a big Vanden Plas.
Rootes75

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theres a lot of nice cars and trucks in the auction!
badhuis

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray White wrote:
I think it was a pity Austin felt the need to tinker with the original Pinin Farina body design as in my opinion the original was more attractive.

Nailed it on the head. I just sold my 4 Litre R. No, in the years I was its custodian (saved from taking it apart) I have never driven it. It is a looong project, stood for over 30 years. But I feel I could never live with the "modernized" body of the 4 compared to it predessor: no roof overhangs, no fins. The horizontal rear lamps look awkward. No extra power could take that away.
I still have the A110 Westminster SuperDeLuxe (wood dash and tables in the back) which for me is nearly as good as a VdP 3 Litre. A different front, not worse or better, if pressed I like the rear overriders of the Austin better, but would go with the dashboard of the VdP. The Austin has a modern horizontal speedo which I disliked at first but now have come to live with it as one of the idiosynchrasies of the sixties. BMC wanted to make the Westminster a little bit more modern but luckily they did not go as far as the 4 Litre VandenPlas.

Ray White wrote:
I know the Daimler is a better car to drive and parts are more readily available but I am still attracted by the idea of owning a big Vanden Plas.

Again agreed. Those V8 Daimlers are pretty nice but maybe a touch too common. I would prefer a Mk1 Jaguar or a 420.

Nice question by the way!
Ray White

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having looked again at the VDP video, I am left asking the question...is it really as good as it looks?

As is often the case, a car can be made to give a good first impression but after a while the truth begins to show in terms of paint bubbling etc.

I wonder how much work has been done?

Does the body look too good to be true?

Has the car been clocked?

No disrespect to anyone but sometimes auctioneers remind me of Arthur Daley... Laughing
Keith D

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My tongue is hanging out at the sight of that V8 Daimler.

Many, many years ago I owned a 3.4 Mk 2 Jag. One of the best looking cars ever built (IMHO) but fitted with that dreadful OHC six cylinder engine. If only I had been able to find a Daimler instead with the same gorgeous body. (There were very few of them in Aus back in 1970)

Keith
1999 BMW Z3
Its weird being the same age as old people.
You are either part of the problem or part of the solution
badhuis

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray White wrote:
Having looked again at the VDP video, I am left asking the question...is it really as good as it looks?

As is often the case, a car can be made to give a good first impression but after a while the truth begins to show in terms of paint bubbling etc.

I wonder how much work has been done?

Does the body look too good to be true?

Has the car been clocked?

No disrespect to anyone but sometimes auctioneers remind me of Arthur Daley... Laughing

It said it was unrestored. However on the LH front wing the presenter pointed to something.
Have to say I do not particularly like the colour combination. IT would put me off buying it.
badhuis

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keith D wrote:
that dreadful OHC six cylinder engine.

Very Happy
What's wrong with the XK engine? Smooth, quick and pretty reliable. Cheap on parts if ever needed (unlike the V8 Daimler), easy to rebuild. I quite like it.
Keith D

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Badhuis,

My 3.4 was quite a low mileage immaculate car with full service history. I can't remember exactly how many miles fifty years later, but the car was my everyday vehicle, in and out of the city of Melbourne and with frequent country runs.

In Melbourne's 40 degree summers, in rush hour traffic it seemed to be the most efficient way of boiling water known to mankind. I spent a fortune trying to improve it's 'hot day' running. It was never satisfactorily solved, even by the Jag workshop.

Oil consumption was excessive, even on empty open roads. (I travelled all over Victoria quoting on engineering projects, so I covered a lot of miles.)

When I complained about the camshaft rumbling, I was informed by the Jag mechanics that that was quite normal after a very few thousand miles.

As I said before, I consider the vehicle to be the best looking sedan ever. But if ever I went for one again, it would be V8 powered. Daimlers don't get advertised here very often.

However, the bottom line is that we all choose our preferences.

Keith
1999 BMW Z3
Its weird being the same age as old people.
You are either part of the problem or part of the solution
Ray White

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a good few years since I worked on an XK engine but I remember some special tools are needed like this:

The camshafts do need regular attention and although the cams themselves are usually O.K. , the bearings and shims often do need replacement. As a set the shells are not that expensive but great care needs to be taken as they are easily ruined. Some people use plastigauge but to be fair so long as you use the correct torque they should be fine.
Ray White

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

badhuis wrote:

Have to say I do not particularly like the colour combination. IT would put me off buying it.

It just goes to show how much opinions can differ. I would personally prefer the peat/stone combination to anything else. It is probably a nostalgia thing; I don't know. Very Happy
Ray White

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.mathewsons.co.uk/auction/lot/lot-465---1964-vanden-plas-princess/?lot=12115&so=0&st=&sto=0&au=36&ef=&et=&ic=False&sd=1&pp=96&pn=5&g=1

Sold for £15,000.

Someone got themselves a good car.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: