classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Valve clearance
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Miken

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:39 pm    Post subject: Valve clearance Reply with quote

Some may not know this.
Adjusting valve clearances can be a bit fiddly depending on the engine.
You might have to wield 2 or 3 spanners plus a feeler gauge all at the same time with awkward access.
However, If the valve adjusters on your old car or motor bike happen to be threaded with a 26 tpi thread then it can become a lot simpler.
One revolution is ( very nearly) 0.040" .
So if you want, say, 0.010" ( typical exhaust clearance on a Triumph motorcycle) you just turn the adjuster to zero clearance and then back off 1/4 turn. Simple. No feeler gauge required.
This is of course exactly how a micrometer measures.
If you want 8 thou, then it's 1/4 turn minus a little bit.
Penman

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adjusting valve clearances can be a bit fiddly depending on the engine.
You might have to wield 2 or 3 spanners plus a feeler gauge all at the same time with awkward access.

And if it is pre-war OHV Vauxhall you will have to contend with the fact that the books tell you to do it with the engine running.

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
Ray White

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possibly Ford side valve engines were the worst design where you had to grind the valve stems.
OMG.
badhuis

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to adjust the valve clearances on my Lotus engine. I will take it easy and take the time it needs, and write down every measurement. 4 cylinder engine, 16 valves, two overhead camshafts need to be removed. The valves use shims to get the correct clearance.

Years ago I drove my Triumph 2000 big distances every day. I had converted it to LPG and as a result the tappets needed adjustment every week! Very easy to do though, just a big screwdriver, a ring spanner and feeler gauges. After a couple of weeks I had to remove the cylinder head because no adjustment was possible anymore. I had hardened valve seats inserted which solved the need
for weekly adjustments.

Note that the exhaust valves stick out much further compared to the inlet valves (they should stick out the same length). The exhaust valves hammered themselves into the head.
Miken

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Penman wrote:

And if it is pre-war OHV Vauxhall you will have to contend with the fact that the books tell you to do it with the engine running.

Why is that? And how do you do it?
alastairq

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Possibly Ford side valve engines were the worst design where you had to grind the valve stems.
OMG.

Not bad at all once into the swing of things. The biggest issue these days I find, is finding decently matching valve guide halves! Without spending a small fortune!
Ford sidevalve engines supposedly being cheap and cheerful, and all that?

Of help is an old valve stem grinding machine. Probably only available via eba or workshop sales these days?

I once bought an MG MAestro 2 litre.....cheap/ From a notable local garage.
The cylinder head had supposedly been refurbished by an less local engineering outfit.
Said firm [normally reliable enough, as engineering firms go, I suppose?] seemed to have let the apprentice loose on the engine to set the valve gaps.
[OHC Maestro engine]...

They seemed fine when the engine was cold,and it started well...but as soon as it got hot, it ran like a bag of spanners.
Hence why I got it cheap.

The garage showed me how to set the valve clearances, old school style, and loaned me an ancient Massey-Ferguson labeled complete valve sorting machine. Very heavy, with a huge cast metal base, a huge electric motor[with rubber cables and a round pin plug.], it contained all sorts of grinding tools for chombling valve stems, and grinding valve angles, etc etc.

They plonked it into the boot of the Maestro, from where I worked at home.

A case of measuring things as they were, writing lots down, and working out what shims were needed, from a shim selection box they also loaned me.

Worked a treat, I borrowed the MF machine to do my Ford 10HP valves as well...Very easy, if one is methodical.

I have acquired a valve gap setting tool similar[if not the same as?] the old SPQR valve setting tool...which is supposed to make the job a one handed affair.

Sadly I haven't any OHV engines on the plot to try it out on. That don't have hydraulic lifters.
----------------------------------------------
Ford Pop chassis, Ashley 1172 bodyshell, in pieces.
Ray White

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Alastair. I didn't say it was a difficult job to do, just that in my opinion it was a poor design; not least because the alternative is to grind the valves in further and further so they become pocketed - much like the effect of unleaded petrol on the Triumph engine (above).

Perhaps I have got it wrong. It's been many years since I touched a side valve Ford engine.
Penman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miken wrote:
Penman wrote:

I don't know the reasoning behind it, but you slowed the tick over as far as possible and then one hand used the spanner the other used the screw driver and somebody else had to wield the feeler gauge. that was the critical person for judgment of the clearance

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
Ray White

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Penman wrote:
Miken wrote:
Penman wrote:

I don't know the reasoning behind it, but you slowed the tick over as far as possible and then one hand used the spanner the other used the screw driver and somebody else had to wield the feeler gauge. that was the critical person for judgment of the clearance

I expect most here understand the principle but for the benefit of any inexperienced readers I feel I should elucidate.

The tappet clearance is needed simply to allow for the extent to which the valve stem extends when it is hot. If the clearance is too tight, there is a risk that the valve seat- especially on the exhaust - could burn as it no longer forms a good seal. What happens is as the engine gets hot, the valve extends to the point of overpowering the spring which is keeping it closed. The result is not just poor ingnition leading to eventual mis fire but damage to the seating surface of the valve.

I once agreed to fix a friend's Mini. He had been unwittingly running it on three cylinders for weeks and didn't realise it needed more than just a service. On investigation one exhaust valve had virtually burned away to nothing.

The chap had tightened the tappets in an attempt to quieten the engine - and over done it.! Shocked
alastairq

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simca [and Talbot?] engines of the 70's were fairly tappety engines in my view [Horizon, etc]...

I often wondered whether they had slack tappets , or valve clearances..or whether there was another reason for having such tappety engines?

RAy...I wasn't implying Ford [8 & 10HP engines] were easy to sort.....
After all, Ford spares were cheap enough in their day, and valves would be exchanged out once they got to a certain 'length??

The real difficulties arise when trying to maintain those same Ford engines in this day & age?
When spares prices are not only costly, but with a rarity value as well?

I had real shocks in the learning curve region when discovered there were one or two different valve lengths as well.

Those Ford sidevalves were cheap to make, no doubt. Plus, they were ''naturally'' limited in breathing[as stock] so didn't rev very happily in normal circumstances.
Only today do we come across the difficulties of valve seat recession.

I have a set of aftermarket adjustable cam followers for my Ford sidevalver....
To be honest, they are a pain to adjust, requiring modified spanners, etc. The engine block isn't 'designed' for easy access!!

I am seriously considering reverting back to the original Ford set-up. Having an adjustable follower seems to me to be introducing a potential weak spot in the valve train?
Ford 100E tappets are easier to adjust, being adjustable.
The only issue being getting one's hands down the side of the engine?
----------------------------------------------
Ford Pop chassis, Ashley 1172 bodyshell, in pieces.
bjacko

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:42 am    Post subject: Tappet adjustments Reply with quote

Back in the 1960's I took my car in to a garage as the cylinder head gasket had blown. When I went to pick it up on my way home from work I was horrified to see the proprietor and his father adjusting the tappets with the engine running. It had hydraulic tappets which do not need adjustment and for a minute they did not believe me until they realised they were getting nowhere with their adjustments!.
Some time later I had to remove the rocker cover due to an oil leak and was shocked to see bits of metal. What had happened was that during their "adjustments" they had chipped all the push rod cups. It ran perfectly well and I did not do anything about it.
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The slant-four Vauxhall engine is easy enough to do - the cam follower buckets have a cotter-pin and a flexible allen key is used to turn the cotter. Each turn changes the gap by, I think, 0.003".

The biggest problem is the nightmare that is sealing the cam cover gasket onto the cam carrier, leaks around that invariably result in oil dropping onto the exhaust manifold.
Ray White

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeEdwards wrote:
The slant-four Vauxhall engine is easy enough to do - the cam follower buckets have a cotter-pin and a flexible allen key is used to turn the cotter. Each turn changes the gap by, I think, 0.003".

The biggest problem is the nightmare that is sealing the cam cover gasket onto the cam carrier, leaks around that invariably result in oil dropping onto the exhaust manifold.

Have you tried Stag Wellseal jointing compound.?
I have used this for many years as did my Dad before me. It was developed by Rolls Royce.
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have bought some, but not tried it yet. Not really willing to disturb it at the moment as it's reasonably dry, but I have it in store for next time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: