classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Admin things
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:15 am    Post subject: Admin things Reply with quote

Hi,

The forum software is quite old, as you probably can tell. It uses a fairly old version of PHP code behind the scenes and support for this old version with the hosting company is only available if I continue to pay a monthly fee, which is increasing noticeably from April onwards. The main site uses a little PHP behind the scenes, but the forum is much more reliant on it.

I have the option of upgrading to a much more recent version of PHP to avoid paying for legacy support of the old version, which is what I'm going to do. It may well be that shifting to a newer version of PHP at the server side causes no issues with the old code that keeps the forum going, but it may knock something out, I really don't know.

This is really just a heads-up in case things fall over once the switch to a current version of PHP is activated. I'll continue to research this a little more, but like I say, this is just advanced notice that if something starts going wrong, this is the reason!!!

If it all goes wrong then re-coding the entire forum, or installing a much newer version of the forum (and starting over effectively, new logins, old posts lost etc as I doubt they'd transfer over given how old this version is) isn't an option due to the time it'd take, but hopefully it won't come to that.

But like I say, it may not affect anything.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
COMMAD

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the update. Rick.

1964 Humber Vogue Sedan.
Penman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a thought, would the Wayback Machine or similar archive site be able to archive the present forum just in case?

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: