classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Great Northern Classics to open Summer.
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ukdave2002 wrote:

Should the Great Northern Classic scheme fail, the losers would be the young folk who are mid apprenticeship. One would hope that if only as a duty of care to the future apprentices, the proposed model has been robustly thought through.

Dave

When this scheme fails the apprentices will be tossed on the scrapheap as usual; and potential employers going forward will likely discriminate against them not only for having it on their CV but for being unable to check on a reference from a firm that no longer exists. They'll be screwed, basically, that's how it works these days.
Ray White

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has got me thinking again about the future of our hobby. It is changing, but then nothing stays the same forever. This is my take on it:

If we look back in time, the 1953 film 'Genevieve' captured the public imagination and is really what started the hobby. The scarcity of LBR eligible cars has boosted their value and I doubt there is much of a threat to this event.

The fact that not everyone could afford a Brighton runner inspired the Veteran and Vintage period car enthusiasts. This generation has dwindled through natural causes and consequently the demand for such cars has weakened.

Because pre War cars are slower and more vulnerable than cars from the 50s onwards they have limited appeal to the Classic Car buyer and, by the same token, later cars which can still hold their own today - such as hot hatches etc. are in the ascendancy.

There is also the fact that nostalgia plays a significant roll in the desirability of certain cars.

I guess that if the later cars are all that young people want then there will be sufficient support for them. The price, for example, of fast Fords has ensured that reproduction parts for them are available. By means of a contrast, some parts for more interesting, older vehicles are becoming difficult to source.

There is an often stated claim that traditional skills are dying out. This may be the case but if there is not the demand for those skills then there seems little point in pushing apprenticeships for them.

Ray White

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the various Press releases, GNC should open to the Public next month. I still can't see how it will be legitimately profitable but then what do I know?

They say it will generate some 120 jobs ... but where is the income source.?

The salaries for 7 directors and 3 staff have to come from somewhere...and then there are all the expected apprenticeships.

We shall see...

https://www.greatnorthernclassics.co.uk/about-us/meet-the-team/
bjacko

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2023 8:13 am    Post subject: GNC Reply with quote

Maybe the Directors are volunteers!!!!
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2023 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get a much better idea of how the finances are structured here:

https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/11167173/filing-history?page=1

Looks as if they have both private investment and effectively a mortgage provided by Derby council.
Ray White

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2023 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I may have said before, I am dubious about Public money being wrapped up in a business start up. If the Banks are not prepared to back it (an assumption on my part) then why should Public money be put at risk?

Look what happened with John DeLorean. You don't need a flux capacitor to remember Maggie Thatcher having the wool pulled... Surprised
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2023 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ukdave2002 wrote:
You can get a much better idea of how the finances are structured here:

https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/11167173/filing-history?page=1

Looks as if they have both private investment and effectively a mortgage provided by Derby council.

More fool Derby council... So often councils lose money on projects like this but hey, they can always whack up the council tax and cut road maintenance again to balance the books!
Ray White

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2023 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love for this project to succeed. If Derby could seen as the dynamo for historic vehicle restoration in Britain, that would be great.

With Rolls Royce we are regarded as the World leader in aero engines and known as the home of 'The Best car in the World'; the 40/50 Silver Ghost.

Derby is also the birthplace of the Industrial Revolution - the Silk Mill being the first Industrial factory - and with a 200 year legacy in the Rail Industry it is no surprise to me that the Derby has been chosen as the home of GBR (Great British Railways) with a mandate to transform the industry.

So many big ideas fall at the first hurdle. Let us just hope there is sincerity at the heart of GNC and that it is not just another cynical get rich quick fiddle.
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2023 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray White wrote:
I would love for this project to succeed. If Derby could seen as the dynamo for historic vehicle restoration in Britain, that would be great.

And it'd be closer than Bicester.
Ray White

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2023 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, we are now into August. Will GNC open this month as anticipated?

Shaun Matthews is the co owner of DEB; the group behind Swarfega. I wonder if he can see an opportunity to clean up ...or will he simply wash his hands of it if it all goes pears shape? Embarassed
Ray White

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great Northern Classics has now opened it's doors to the Public.

https://www.greatnorthernclassics.co.uk

(Incidentally, the video features Andy Jones; Boss of Wilkinsons Coachworks - who I have known for many years - but suspiciously, they are not involved.)

I will pay GNC a visit when I can find the time; I may even ask for a quote to paint my TC front wings.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: