classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Condensers - do they vary much?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2023 4:51 pm    Post subject: Condensers - do they vary much? Reply with quote

Hi

Pondering the swap of the condenser on the 4CV, I've several new unlabelled condensers in a box but it's impossible to know exactly what they were originally for. Do they vary much in spec? Is it critical to buy a replacement where the car its for is listed? The Renault is still on 6v.

thanks, RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2023 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No

They are all about .022uF need to be 600V working, as I may have mentioned before, I have a .021uf polyester capacitor on fly leads with clips, so that in the event of a condenser failure, I can simply clip on to the coil, zero dismantling!

dave
Ray White

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2023 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Condensers - do they vary much? Reply with quote

Rick wrote:
Hi

Pondering the swap of the condenser on the 4CV, I've several new unlabelled condensers in a box but it's impossible to know exactly what they were originally for. Do they vary much in spec? Is it critical to buy a replacement where the car its for is listed? The Renault is still on 6v.

thanks, RJ

Hi Rick.. The condenser will not care if it is handling 6 or 12 volts. They all do the same thing which is to cope with the reverse EMF voltage made by the coil as it's magnetic field collapses when the points open. They are generally insulated to take up to a 200 volts; roughly twice the amount they are subjected to in service.

Unfortunately the build quality is what we have come to expect from new parts made overseas, so I would prefer to pay a bit more and get a good quality one. The distributor Doctor would be my first choice.

If you have a selection of unknown condensers to choose from, you might as well suck it and see.

N.B. It is important to mount the condenser as close to the points as possible.
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2023 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Condensers - do they vary much? Reply with quote

Ray White wrote:
Why?
Ray White

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2023 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Condensers - do they vary much? Reply with quote

ukdave2002 wrote:
Ray White wrote:
Why?

Because the further away from the distributor you position the condenser the inductance of the wire from the condenser to the points will detract from the efficiency of their operation. That is why the condenser is usually located next to or close to the points.
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2023 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Condensers - do they vary much? Reply with quote

Ray White wrote:
ukdave2002 wrote:
Ray White wrote:
Why?

Because the further away from the distributor you position the condenser the inductance of the wire from the condenser to the points will detract from the efficiency of their operation. That is why the condenser is usually located next to or close to the points.
I suspected that would be the answer Smile Although I think it would have to be quite a distance away to make a material difference? Certainly my "get you home" capacitors on fly leads must add a couple of feet to the wiring distance to the points with out impact, also there are many vehicles with Transistor Assist (Electronic ignition) where the module is mounted on the bulkhead; some distance from the distributor.

Dave
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2023 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks gents.

With a new coil I'm still getting the engine cutting out when it gets hot, and the new coil (now mounted away from the engine) is getting hot too.

The condenser is mounted directly to the outside of the dizzy (which itself gets very hot indeed), would a failing condenser cause the coil to run over hot too?

thanks, RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
alastairq

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2023 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the coil is 'oil-filled', then really it should be mounted in a vertical position. Many folk like to mount their coils horizontally....
----------------------------------------------
Ford Pop chassis, Ashley 1172 bodyshell, in pieces.
Ray White

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2023 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick wrote:
Thanks gents.

With a new coil I'm still getting the engine cutting out when it gets hot, and the new coil (now mounted away from the engine) is getting hot too.

The condenser is mounted directly to the outside of the dizzy (which itself gets very hot indeed), would a failing condenser cause the coil to run over hot too?

thanks, RJ

If the distributor is getting hot - and it's not just from the engine/exhaust - I would think there might be a poor earth. Try running an earth wire from the distributor. The body of the coil isn't earthed but earthing the distributor might just help. I would also make sure there is an earth wire from the gearbox to the battery or close by. It might just be a matter of resistance build up.

Also check the plug gap.

Too small and there is insufficient room for the mixture between the electrodes so the spark may not ignite it.

too wide and the spark has insufficient energy to ignite the charge.

Either way you get a misfire. The problem we have is that the recommended gap may not be suitable for today's petrol so it is all a bit hit and miss. (pardon the pun).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: