classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Taking the mystery out of SU jet heights.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
Ray White

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 12:57 pm    Post subject: Taking the mystery out of SU jet heights. Reply with quote

Fuel should be visible in the jet tube (remove the carb dashpot and piston and turn on pumps to see where it settles. Set the jet tube height relative to the top of the bridge and NEVER subsequently touch the jet height (i.e. don't mess with raising/lowering the jet with the screw at bottom of the carb). The top of the jet should be between .060 and .065 below the top of the jet bridge.

Best atomization happens with this "jet drop." With the jet higher than that, the fuel actually "mists" too much, and with the jet lower than that, it actually "puddles" and doesn't atomize well enough.

Once the jets are set relative to bridge height, the next step is to set the fuel level in float bowls. You should see the fuel about 1/8" to 3/16" below the top of the jet tube. Any higher and it's likely spilling over when the motor fires/vibrates. Blow down in jet tube (with pumps running) to see where the fuel level settles.
Rich5ltr

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2023 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Taking the mystery out of SU jet heights. Reply with quote

Ray White wrote:
<clip> NEVER subsequently touch the jet height (i.e. don't mess with raising/lowering the jet with the screw at bottom of the carb)...
But when you (or the article you've quoted from) say never touch the jet height surely that's counter to how one adjusts the mixture with the jet adjusting nut under the carb. I don't see how you could set the carbs properly without touching the jet height. Question
Ray White

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2023 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Taking the mystery out of SU jet heights. Reply with quote

Rich5ltr wrote:
Ray White wrote:
<clip> NEVER subsequently touch the jet height (i.e. don't mess with raising/lowering the jet with the screw at bottom of the carb)...
But when you (or the article you've quoted from) say never touch the jet height surely that's counter to how one adjusts the mixture with the jet adjusting nut under the carb. I don't see how you could set the carbs properly without touching the jet height. Question

You are probably right. I should not have posted it.

This is the complete article taken from an MG racing site.

[Taking the Mystery Out of SU Jet Heights
—by Manley Ford/MGVR Yahoo E group
Below is advise I received from Craig Chima several years ago. Craig holds several SCCA National Champion- ships in numerous cars running SU carbs – all of which he constructed and maintained personally. Lately he’s moved to vintage racing, both supporting his brother Derek’s very quick Midget and preparing Loti and other very fast cars.
‘Fuel should be visible in the jet tube (remove the carb dashpot and piston and turn on pumps to see where it settles. We actually set the jet tube height relative to the top of the bridge and NEVER subse- quently touch the jet height (i.e. don't mess with raising/lowering the jet with the screw at bottom of the carb). We've found that top of the jet should be between /.060 and .065 below the top of the jet
bridge. Best atomization happens with this "jet drop." With the jet higher than that, the fuel actually "mists" too much, and with the jet lower than that, it actually "puddles" and doesn't atomize well enough. Once the jets are set relative to bridge height, the next step is to set the fuel level in float bowls. You should see the fuel about 1/8" to 3/16" below the top of the jet tube. Any higher and it's likely spilling over when the motor fires/vibrates. Blow down in jet tube (with pumps running) to see where the fuel level settles.’]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: