classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

The War on Motorists!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Rootes75

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2023 1:49 pm    Post subject: The War on Motorists!! Reply with quote

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/the-war-on-motorists-the-secret-history-of-a-myth-as-old-as-cars-themselves/ar-AA1hoo5m?ocid=entnewsntp&cvid=90f2d1d9fba34d31a6e45a7eadf78002&ei=10
Ray White

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2023 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fully expect to see widespread civil disobedience in response to the imposition of a general 20 mph speed limit. This is what happened when just such a limit was first introduced in 1903. As a result it was eventually dropped.
alastairq

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2023 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Civil disobedience has been suggested over the decades, but I feel the advantages of convenience have filtered into drivers' minds to the extent, they really , simply, cannot be bothered!
When a certain Blairist PM demanded zero tolerance for exceeding the proscribed speed limit on the M1....it probably took the Police, as enforcers, to inform him that they simply would not be able to cope with a zero tolerance speeding policy.
However, it was suggested by some that, if every driver who received a NIP for speeding, opted to have their day in Court, then the system would collapse in very short order..
The Courts simply would not be able to cope.

I'm not so sure an urban 20 mph speed limit places us drivers so very far off what happens all too often, with the current 30 mph limits?

Although personally I have very little on the way of problems not exceeding 20 mph [except in the Dellow]...in my daily 21 YO Suzuki GV petrol, I can stick it in 4th and simply tootal about...often without feet on any pedal whatsoever.

As for the often voiced view that drivers would spend so much time looking at their speedos [not underpants, surely?] that they wouldn't be able to look out for errant road users.....I think is an admission of their inability, or competence, at driving!

For evidence, I only have to think back to the days, a couple of decades ago, when, as a bus driver, I had no problems with pedestrians, errant or otherwise...and few problems with cyclists...
Buses weren't perhaps the most speedy of vehicles, but neither were they agile or compact.
Yet I failed miserably in my attempts to run down pedestrians, or squidge cyclists...

Anyway, one shouldn't stare at one's speedo, one should simply glance during the course of one's overall, expected, pattern of observation.

The primary aim of civil disobedience has to be to maximise annoyance to every other individual.

It is so easy to 'get in the way of' those who might cycle faster....and do it lawfully and justifiably.

Does take good observation, and anticipation....All things an Examiner looks for on a driving test, don't you know?

[There's nothing in the Highway Code to say one cannot position one's front wheel 2 inches off a kerb.......]
----------------------------------------------
Ford Pop chassis, Ashley 1172 bodyshell, in pieces.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: