classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

The German Barn
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
mini.inno

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2023 12:45 pm    Post subject: The German Barn Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

I am Stephan from Germany. I am 34years old and enyoing Britain an british classic cars since being 13.

Today I own several classics of severals decades. I am not only "collecting" cars (I never searched for a specific car, but sometimes I just can't say no), but also repairing and restoring classics to keep as much of the fleet active as possible.

The most cars are not on a perfect optical condition, but daily driveable and with MOT.

Today's classic fleet:

Mini Innocenti 1001 (MOT'd)
Mini Special 1100 (ongoing restoration)
Mini Mayfair 1989 (ongoing recommissioning)
Austin 1100 (ADO16) (in need of restoration)
Austin A35 (working fine, but needs MOT)
Austin A60 Cambridge (in need of a new engine, brakes and some welding)
Triumph Spitfire 1500 (MOT'd)
Peugeot 205 (MOT'd)
VW Golf 2 (MOT'd)
VW Beetle (ongoing restoration)
Ford Sierra (MOT'd but need head gasket and new brakes)
BMW E36 318i (MOT'd)
Mazda323 (needs heater matrix and MOT)
Volvo PV445 (MOT'd)
Lambretta D125 (MOT'd)
Simson Schwalbe (MOT'd)

I decided to make just one thread for all the cars and hope this is fine for you. If not just let me know.

Also I will try to give a regular update on whatever I am working at this time. Very Happy Unfortunately time is short as I am also restoring an old farm (The German Barn;-) ) to get all my cars together on one place over the next years. Some are already there, but there is also still a long way to go.

I am looking forward to the upcoming discussions and the many other ongoing projects in this forum. And a I am also visiting GB at least two or three times a year.

Kind regards
Stephan[/img]
badhuis

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2023 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome! There are probably not too many German Liebhaber for old British cars so wonderful to see you have a couple. Also good to see you maintain / restore them yourself, a habit which seems getting scarcer over the years.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2023 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum

RJ
(former Volvo PV owner)
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Ray White

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2023 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: The German Barn Reply with quote

mini.inno wrote:
Hello everyone,

I am Stephan from Germany. I am 34years old and been enjoying British classic cars since being 13.....................
............. I am also restoring an old farm (The German Barn;-) ) to get all my cars together on one place over the next years. Some are already there, but there is also still a long way to go.

Kind regards
Stephan[/img]

A warm welcome to our friendly forum Stephan!

Are you restoring a Fachhallenhause?

Rootes75

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2023 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum, looks like a nice varied collection of classics!
mini.inno

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2023 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for the very warm welcome and the kind words!

This is the main barn of the U-shaped farm. Not as charmful as a "Fachhallenhaus", but no comparison to as it was two years ago:-)
Next to it is a former pigsty (housing the lathe, tyre changer+wheel balancer, sand blaster and other bigger machinery), a smaller barn and a row of garages with a second floor for storage space. And if course the residential building.

Until I found this neglected farm, my stuff was spread over 4 different places so I am really happy to bring it all together over the next years.

Today I moved all cars out for a good clean up of the barn and then carried on with the recommissioning of the Mini Mayfair. I will try to have it finished until spring, as I plan to attend the International Mini Meeting 2024 with this one. [/b]
mini.inno

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2023 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Around a month ago I equipped the Mayfair with new sills, new door skins, a panels and some patches here and there:

mini.inno

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2023 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today then I renewed the diff output oil seals, the bushes of the tie rods and the lower arms, fitted new brake discs/pads and Kayaba shocks all round. Happily all the parts were still on stock.

On stock were also two new brake calipers I purchased a few years ago at a well known mini parts dealer in England. Unfortunately the offset for the brake disc clearance was 4mm different to the original ones, so I couldn't fit them without touching the brake discs. I then refurbished the original ones, what ruined my schedule for today. Laughing

I also didn't have a replacement for the disintegrated steering rack gaiters so couldn't finish the front suspension. I will order new ones and hope to find motivation to fit them as well as new rear brakes the next weekend.

:
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2023 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we're all a bit jealous of the space you have there! I for one could fill a barn like that in no time at all... Laughing
peter scott

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2023 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Stephan,

You certainly have a large collection and your barns and tools sound like a dream come true.

Best wishes,

Peter
mini.inno

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2023 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bitumen Boy wrote:
I think we're all a bit jealous of the space you have there! I for one could fill a barn like that in no time at all... Laughing

No matter how much space you have, it. Is never enough Very Happy
mini.inno

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2023 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last week I refurbished the rear suspension and the rear brakes of the Mayfair, fitted new steering rack gaiters and changed the oil and filters.

So from the underside now everything except the exhaust mountings is done. I ordered a few missing parts at Minispares today and hope to receive these the next two weeks.

Yesterday I also fitted a new set of tyres on some chrome style finished NOS Dunlop original stell rims. I bought these rims last year cheaply from another local mini ehtusiast.

These were sold originaly in the nineties and noughties under the name "Metallica" by MiniMania. In Germany it is only allowed to mount "TUV" -approved rims. As most of the aluminum rims on the market don't have this approval Mini Mania reworked new original steel rims to make it look a little bit like aluminum ones.

I am still not sure if I really like this (blingbling) look, but they are maybe a little bit better than the rusty original ones.

Unfortunately I forgot to make a picture of the complete car, but will add a picture the next week.

The Mayfair was the last time registered in 1997 so of course nearly none of the electrics were working. I cleaned all of the connectors and most functions came back to life, but indicators, parking lights and rear lights are still out of order. So still some electric gremlins to find...

Last edited by mini.inno on Sun Nov 19, 2023 7:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2023 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mini.inno wrote:
Bitumen Boy wrote:

No matter how much space you have, it. Is never enough Very Happy

Very true. The problem seems to be that somewhere between a day and a week after you throw something out you find a use for it... Laughing
mini.inno

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2023 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As soon as the exhaust mounts of the Mayfair arrived and got fitted, I will have to do some work on the daily driver (Ford Focus Mk1) as it also needs new MOT in December.

But the next classic guest for the two post lift is already waiting....

peter scott

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The steel wheels are probably lighter than the alloys anyway.

Peter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: