classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Ford Sidevalve period modifications - how much power?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
garyjpaterson

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2023 5:32 pm    Post subject: Ford Sidevalve period modifications - how much power? Reply with quote

Just a hypothetical question, absolutely zero plans for performance mods myself. Just curious

Back in the day, what sort of mods were people doing to their Anglia's and Pop's, and what sort of gains could they reasonably expect?

I'm thinking aftermarket heads, manifolds, SU carbs, cams, that sort of thing. If the standard 1172cc motor made 30hp, was 40hp possible? 50?
alastairq

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2023 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If the standard 1172cc motor made 30hp, was 40hp possible? 50?

Easily.

For the 1172 10HP engine, fitting the cylinder head from the 8HP engine raised the compression ratio without loss of gas flow. The 'platform' might need altering to suit the dynamo fitting of the 10HP motor.

The 1172 engine [10HP] nowadays would use the 100E cam. This gave slightly better cam timing.

There were more lumpy camshafts produced by the aftermarket industry.

Other 'free' tuning procedures might involve find longer nosed spark plugs.[and the Champion spacers to fit] but beware hitting the valves if too long.

Transfer passages could be opened out quite a bit, unshrouding underneath the inlet valves.

Sage tuning advice of the day said to radius the lip of the cylinder bore to just above where the top ring stopped...
However, in the USA, tuning companies of today [80's,90's, this century] working on money-no-object Ford flathead [sidevalve] V8s, gas flowing on special rigs, have discovered that radiusing the edge of the cylinder bore is counter productive to power....leaving the hard edge in place increased swirl...
Of course, back in the day nobody had the money or the equipment to do such things as gas flow experiments on sidevalve Ford engines.

As an example of a 1172 {10HP} engine I have, used in my Cannon trials car [one]...it had the 8HP head fitted, twin 1 1/8 inch SU carbs on a mixture of no-not-where-from manifolds and home made...Aquaplane exhaust manifold [obtained cheap ]...longer reach spark plugs, and even Nology spark plug cables [from the USA]...Plus electric fuel pump, and external water pump....[mainly because the engine bay is a lot smaller and lower in height than Fords]..On a rolling road [Bogg Bros of East Lutton]...it showed 53 bhp at the rear wheels, at around 4200 rpms.

My current 100E, with AQ head, and manifolds, twin 1 1/4 inch SUs, unknown cam, Hall effect ignition in dizzy, showed on the same rolling road, around 54 bhp at similar rpms.

The easiest{???} method of tuning the Ford side valves would have been to fit a supercharger.
This would give roughy the same bhp figures as above, but a lot more ooomph from tickover. No more than around 5 psi or so needed ....

The best superchargers for eh sidevalve surprisingly probably wouldn't be the Eaton [Roots] lobe-type blowers, but the vane type blowers, that pressurise within the supercharger body itself.

Optimism may abound, but according to an extract from teh MOTOR guide t makes and models [1969], regarding Dellows....which originally used 10 HP Ford engines, either with twin SU carbs, or blown with a single SU carb, as follows.

Twin carbs, otherwise standard 10HP engine. 31 bhp.
Supercharger, single carb, otherwise standard engine [aside from twin valve springs, methinks?] 37bhp.

https://de014b2b-73aa-4d0a-bd58-59010e074433.filesusr.com/ugd/7c7e52_81909ccc9bfd4468a5ed3f7d428d8145.pdf

https://de014b2b-73aa-4d0a-bd58-59010e074433.filesusr.com/ugd/7c7e52_4e400fe88edc4af2a71a31a05b673405.pdf

I'm sure the Dellow Register won't really mind...
----------------------------------------------
Ford Pop chassis, Ashley 1172 bodyshell, in pieces.
garyjpaterson

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2023 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alastairq wrote:

Easily.

Cheers for the insight, Alastair, very interesting stuff!
Ray White

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can confirm what Alastair said about radiusing the bores. In my youth I read this advice in a much vaunted book on engine tuning but instead of getting an increase, I noticed a slight drop in power.

Other beliefs "back in the day" included pre heating the mixture before the inlet valves. We now know that cooling the mixture gives a boost.

Currently, the most intriguing approach to improved performance I have read about involves the fitting of an ioniser to the air filter. It apparently makes molecules less stable and more ready to react to combustion.

Someone needs to tell Lewis Hamilton....
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2023 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pops and such like are a bit strangled by their axle ratios though aren't they? I would imagine that fitting 18" wheels from a 10cwt van would up the gearing, although that would temper acceleration a bit.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Penman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2023 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick: Didn't Leslie Ballamy do chassis and running gear mods for the SV Fords?

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
alastairq

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2023 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Pops and such like are a bit strangled by their axle ratios though aren't they?

If one joins the FSOC, one can access all sorts of write-ups on messing with upright rear axle gearing.
There are lower CWPs available from the likes of Small Ford Spares.....plus folk in the club have adapted 100E rear axle CWPs [something like 4.7:1 ratio] to suit the torque tube upright rear axles...
16 inch diameter wheels [from the Prefect] allow access to 175/80 x 16 radial tyres such as Michelin Taxis.....These are somewhere near the same rolling radius as the standard crossplies on 17 inch wheels...but better rubber and carcass

VW wheels [15inch] don't quite fit the stud spacing, so be warned...
Occasionally 15 inch [Ballamy] wheels come on the market, at a price.

So all is not quite lost if looking for lower revs at higher cruising speeds...
----------------------------------------------
Ford Pop chassis, Ashley 1172 bodyshell, in pieces.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: