classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Number plates.
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Ray White

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2023 1:31 am    Post subject: Number plates. Reply with quote

On a classic car show that I saw last night - hosted by Drew Pritchard - they restored an NSU 80. Nothing exceptional in that you might think ...but something which Drew did had me wondering if it was legal. He replaced the original number plates with new. The difference was that where the original plates had a white reflective background to the front and yellow to the rear, his new ones were non reflective black background with raised aluminium letters/numbers all round.

I thought these traditional style plates were made obsolete on post 1973 vehicles...but I was wrong. From 1st Jan 2021, any vehicle constructed after 1st Jan 1980 can legally wear the older style plates.

How did I miss this?
peter scott

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2023 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still have a set of white on black plates from the Sunbeam Alpine I owned in the early 1970s because I swapped them for modern reflective ones. That said, I had several cars after that with white on black plates that I didn't change.

Peter
Ray White

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2023 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peter scott wrote:
I still have a set of white on black plates from the Sunbeam Alpine I owned in the early 1970s because I swapped them for modern reflective ones. That said, I had several cars after that with white on black plates that I didn't change.

Peter

Interesting. I must have been under the impression that there was no choice when in fact the reflective plates scheme was not compulsory at all!! Embarassed
alastairq

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2023 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found the biggest problem when replacing B&W [or rather, in my case, aluminium and balck]...is finding a supplier who has the right font for the year of plate being replaced.
Fonts changed a lot [since 1951 in my case]....Especially when replicating pre-WW2 plates [ I had a Morgan with an original plate,it was painted , W&B]...

The font is as important as anything else kept original on a car..
----------------------------------------------
Ford Pop chassis, Ashley 1172 bodyshell, in pieces.
mikeC

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2023 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray White wrote:

Interesting. I must have been under the impression that there was no choice when in fact the reflective plates scheme was not compulsory at all!! Embarassed

Reflective plates were compulsory on all vehicles registered after 31st December 1972; it's only been in the last few years that the regulations have been relaxed (I thought it was now possible to have the old black-and-white plates on cars over forty years old). Personally I think cars from the mid-1970s look 'wrong' with the b&w plates, but each to his own.
Crashbox

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2023 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the rolling-40 was introduced for Tax/MOT exemption a legal loophole appeared that allowed the use of the older design of number plate. The Dept. for Transport closed that loophole a few years ago, so vehicles that had already reached 40-years-old were allowed to retain the older design if an owner had swapped over, but going forward (I think it's 1981 onwards) the older design of number plate (black/white, black/silver) is illegal. I agree that anything from about 1970 onwards just looks wrong on older plates. Most vehicles from the late-1960s had the black on white/yellow plates from new as buyers wanted to be seen to have the new style plate on their brand new car.

1932 Morris Minor S.V. Two-Seater
Ray White

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2023 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the programme, Drew Pritchard went to traditional a number plate manufacturer and had a new set stamped out from aluminium with a black background. I am surprised he was not advised as to the correct style of plate for the year....but then, the customer is always right. Razz
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2023 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Incorrect plates , for me , stand out like a sore thumb! Countless classics have new replacement plates, normally b/w pressed aluminium in the wrong font for the period, most cars originally had raised digits rather than pressed. Pressed plates were more commonly found on commercial vehicles.

Black and white plates on pre 70s cars dont ,imho look correct, whilst not legally required until 72, most new cars from the late 60s were supplied new with reflective plates.

My own number plate restoration:

https://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/forum/phpbb/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=22313&highlight=
mikeC

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2023 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ukdave2002 wrote:
Incorrect plates , for me , stand out like a sore thumb! Countless classics have new replacement plates, normally b/w pressed aluminium in the wrong font for the period, most cars originally had raised digits rather than pressed. Pressed plates were more commonly found on commercial vehicles.

Black and white plates on pre 70s cars dont ,imho look correct, whilst not legally required until 72, most new cars from the late 60s were supplied new with reflective plates.

My own number plate restoration:

https://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/forum/phpbb/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=22313&highlight=

I would disagree with that. Plenty of late 1960's cars were fitted with non-reflective plates, even my old Triumph Dolomite was the Kennings' demonstrator registered 1st January 1972 and that was fitted with pressed black-and-white plates.
Ray White

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2023 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ukdave2002 wrote:

... most cars originally had raised digits rather than pressed...

Please can you explain the difference. My Swallow has original plates (as far as I know) and the digits are raised by having them pressed out. The plates are fairly heavy gauge aluminium.

Penman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2023 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray; those are like the ones on our '34 Austin Ten Four in '59 I doubt they had been changed from new..

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
Ray White

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2023 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the square plate was originally mounted on the back with a single lamp over but when I found it fitted perfectly between the front valance projections, that allowed me to fit the long plate on the spare wheel carrier with two D lamps (tail & stop).

The only disadvantage is that should I need to remove the spare wheel, the number plate and rear lights have to come off to get to it.

I suppose there are always compromises to be made.
bjacko

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2023 6:33 am    Post subject: Number plates Reply with quote

The older number plates used to be a variety of types produced by different manufacturers. Most were like the Swallow bodied car belonging to Ray pictured above, but some "upmarket" cars had the raised numbers and letters fitted individually. Never liked them as they were harder to clean and often came loose. I think some of them were plastic letters and numbers.
I think Bluemels used to supply both. Most were ordered and fitted by the new car dealers.
Rootes75

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, for my two pennies worth, I'm in agreement that Black and silver plates simply don't look right on cars from the 70's onwards.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rootes75 wrote:
Well, for my two pennies worth, I'm in agreement that Black and silver plates simply don't look right on cars from the 70's onwards.

Agreed

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: