classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Blink and you will miss it...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Ray White

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 11:36 am    Post subject: Blink and you will miss it... Reply with quote

There is something sad about seeing a once magnificent old Jaguar at the end of it's life. This one is obviously too far gone but may well serve as a donor car for an ongoing restoration.

https://www.mathewsons.co.uk/auction/lot/lot-253---1960-jaguar-mk-9/?lot=21280&so=0&st=&sto=0&au=61&ef=&et=&ic=False&sd=0&pp=96&pn=3&g=1
alastairq

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That reminds me...The above is in much better condition than the XK 1-whatever that was being unloaded at the container depot at Southampton, when I went down to collect my recently arrived Dellow.

That thing was being retrieved by two very elderly [looking] gents, who were busy supervising a forklift to get the remains onto a trailer...having purchased the wreck from the USA..
When I enquired, they said that the important thing was the 'identity''....everything else could be obtained to build up the car as it was.

I don't suppose the above Jagwar could be any different really?
----------------------------------------------
Ford Pop chassis, Ashley 1172 bodyshell, in pieces.
Ray White

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alastairq wrote:
That reminds me...The above is in much better condition than the XK 1-whatever that was being unloaded at the container depot at Southampton, when I went down to collect my recently arrived Dellow.

That thing was being retrieved by two very elderly [looking] gents, who were busy supervising a forklift to get the remains onto a trailer...having purchased the wreck from the USA..
When I enquired, they said that the important thing was the 'identity''....everything else could be obtained to build up the car as it was.

I don't suppose the above Jagwar could be any different really?

The problem is that the XK range have become "iconic" ...( I hate that word Mad ). Their values have soared. Big cats, on the other hand, are more expensive to restore than they are worth and virtually no body parts are available. Same cannot be said for the sports cars.

When I was a lad I used to pass a forlorn looking Mark 1X on my way to school. If only I could have rescued it. One day it disappeared and that was that. Sad
Penman

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is somewhat amazing it has survived this long. At one time the Big MKs were targeted by the B***er Racers.

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
Ray White

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Penman wrote:
It is somewhat amazing it has survived this long. At one time the Big MKs were targeted by the B***er Racers.

As I understand it, according to forum rules, having used such bad language you now have to wash out your mouth with soap Very Happy
badhuis

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with Ray. This car holds no value, except maybe for some parts.
If the rear bench is still good then someone please will they get it for me please please Laughing

The rear bench of my car is in a very bad condition. They recovered it (over the remains of the bad, original leather) in vinyl decades ago. That vinyl has had its day as well, rips in many places so I removed that and this was underneath it.

lowdrag

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno! It has three spots for rallying and AA Breakdown cover Laughing
Ray White

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No interior shots. Maybe it's been stripped out.?
Rootes75

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From those pictures its very hard to tell if any interior is still present.
Ray White

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When these cars were in production, the Mark 1X made the earlier models look dated. It was possible to "tart up" your Mark V11 with later trim parts to make it look less old.

Today, of course, we would not do that sort of thing; indeed, the Mark V11M is the most sought after model.

I almost bought a Mark V11 M ...that was until the seller (a friend's Dad) saw that I drove a Triumph GT6 ,,,and thought I must be a boy racer. Shocked It also didn't help that I didn't understand the importance of the "M" or that there was not a Mark V1 because of the Bentley.

In truth, the meeting was a disaster...but I learned a lot.
Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: