classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

MOT proposals...Fuzz has his say...
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a look at this video; a modern car with a lethal fault that was about to pass an MOT, having passed all the visual checks.
The presenter has a annoying style Confused , but the content is relevant.

https://youtu.be/KLstwt2MM3A?si=yMwZzs7GArrhS6kP
Ray White

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Keith. Thank you for your kind words. I really don't deserve such high praise. One thing is for sure; we are among friends here.
lowdrag

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Returning to the OP, here in France an MOT has been from 4 years from new and every two years thereafter sice before I came here 24 years ago. Classics over 30 years old need an MOT every five years, so the new proposal in the UK is nothing new.
bjacko

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 7:13 am    Post subject: Video Reply with quote

The video may show a rusty pipe that will burst is concerning. Very poor design and if someone has an accident they could sue Vauxhall.
The messages indicate that the MOT is mostly a waste of time and money because of the number of failures shortly after an MOT.
The organisation that represents motor repairers here in Victoria are always agitating for annual MOT's. I believe NSW has annual testing and their accident rate is no better than Victoria.
I also noticed in the comments that the people who had failures did not mention using their handbrake to stop? Back in the 50's my Morris 8 pedal ball end dropped out of its socket and thus no brakes, just as I was approaching a crossing with people on it, so I pulled hard on the handbrake and stopped in time. Of course a lot of "modern" cars have no easily accessible handbrake lever, even though they have a dual circuit system not a very wise design in my humble opinion.
Ray White

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The videos shows how an inaccessible brake pipe can rust badly and lead to a dangerous car inadvertently passing the M.O.T.

I think it implies that cars with hydraulic brakes should have their pipes replaced every so many years because of what may be going behind the scenes, but sometimes the tester is just not thorough enough.

Years ago I had a brake failure at 60 mph in a Morris Marina which, as a Company car, was always serviced and had just passed an MO.T.

I also found badly rusted brake pipes in my first Range Rover. I had just bought the car and it had a new M.O.T.certificate. I was replacing the brake discs and pads when I found the pipes were crumbling. Again the problem should have been flagged up but for some reason the car passed when it shouldn't.

Not having any kind of legal test requirement for historic vehicles in my opinion is a mistake. I fully accept that legally the owner is responsible for the car to be road worthy but sometimes serious issues are disguised by the unscrupulous when they are selling a car.

For example, the brakes failed on my 1949 MG TC just as I was loading it onto a trailer. Fortunately, the handbrake stopped the car just in time. The seller had packed the wheel cylinders with grease - presumably in an attempt to stem brake fluid from leaking out.

In my opinion, the car would not have passed the MO.T. but there was nothing to stop the seller from letting me take it on the road should I have so chosen.

alastairq

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I fully accept that legally the owner is responsible for the car to be road worthy but sometimes serious issues are disguised by the unscrupulous when they are selling a car.

Indeed and rightly so.
The issue being, how many [new?] owners actually bother to fulfil their legal duties?
Testing, either annually or weekly, won't resolve this issue......If it really is an issue?

Plus, the lack of roadworthiness doesn't just apply to old vehicles.....

We currently have legislative recourse should the latter part apply [the ''unscrupulous'' bit]...in that a vehicle sold privately must actually be roadworthy if advertised as such...If not, the wording should make it clear with something like, 'spares or repair''?

But, what a new owner does with their newly acquired old vehicle must remain entirely their responsibility, in Law.

After all, one can go out and purchase a 200-plus bhp [electric?] car, without providing the vendor with any sort of proof one can actually , competently, drive the thing!
{I believe, at one time, Bristol cars insisted on a 'competency' thing before selling someone one of their new cars??]

The problem with systems like 'annual' testing is that folk may tend to 'leave' things be, as it will be picked up & sorted at the annual test.
{Witness how many 'newer' cars have legally required lights 'out'....for what may be seen as months on end?]

I inwardly despair when I get told [or read of?] owners who openly seem to be fine with each & every MoT costing them several hundreds of pounds, in order to get that 'pass?'

WTF???

If an owner took their duties [and the holding of their licence?] seriously enough, no MoT should cost much more than the price of the test.

If not, then what were they thinking of, driving that car the day before the test???

Yet whether we have regular testing , or not, the reality of the roadworthiness issue will remain...as a fear for some, and an accepted fact of life for others.
----------------------------------------------
Ford Pop chassis, Ashley 1172 bodyshell, in pieces.
Ray White

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MY recent experience is that some of these M.O.T. garages simply use their test facilities as a means of generating extra work when they have a quiet spell.

Skullduggery?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: