classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

PJM Motors Closed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Ray White

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 7:34 pm    Post subject: PJM Motors Closed Reply with quote

After 43 years, PJM have ceased trading. John McPhillips has posted a notice on the PJM site saying that at the age of 84 he has decided it is time for him to retire.

https://www.pjm-motors.com
I was shocked to find the people who made the trim for my TC will not be able to help me with a problem. I have just noticed that the leather piping has been made too thick.

I don't quite know what to do now.
Rootes75

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this beginning to be a trend...No one suitable to take over the reigns or is it a case of not enough money in it anymore?

There are a couple of older style places I know of that have closed when the old boy retires, rather than someone else taking over??
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rootes75 wrote:
Is this beginning to be a trend...No one suitable to take over the reigns or is it a case of not enough money in it anymore?

There are a couple of older style places I know of that have closed when the old boy retires, rather than someone else taking over??
It does seem to be a trend. I used PJM about 10 years ago and was very pleased with the results, they had about 6 staff then, so not just a one man band.

There also seems to be less interest in anything pre 60's, certainly prices for anything older than 70's vehicles seem to be on the decline, clearly with some exceptions, whether this has any connection to older style business closing , I don't know?
bjacko

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 6:59 am    Post subject: Leather Piping Reply with quote

I made my own piping on my wife's sewing machine. Maybe as the business is closing he may have an industrial sewing machine going cheap as there is only a very small market for such things. piping is easy to do when you have a sewing machine with a piping foot, and you have the material to make it of course.
Rootes75

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must admit trimming is the only work I've never tried myself on a restoration, but on our next project its something I'm going to attempt.

Military vehicles seats are trimmed so basically, no piping or patterns.
Ray White

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have more than enough 6mm plastic tubing so I will try re-making the existing piping to a smaller size. I have used pva on the leather dash covering and found it sticks very well. I see no reason not to use it for the piping.

I have never used a sewing machine let alone an industrial machine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: