classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Mice!!!
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Rootes75

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 11:52 am    Post subject: Mice!!! Reply with quote

So, as we're rebuilding the engine of our 1955 Minx I happened to need something from our spares trays.

These trays are packed full of Hillman, Commer and Karrier parts, all NOS boxed that I've collected for the last 30 odd years...they are up on our shelving at the back of our modern unit....

Well, first tray I look in and my heart sinks....a mouse has nested in the tray and eaten away around 10-15 original 30s to 50s Rootes boxes....track rod ends, bearings, king pin sets...all the boxes shredded....

Not happy at all...yes the parts are still OK but in many cases they've also eaten away the grease wrapping paper so parts are rusting.

And, one thing I do like is original boxes. Even after we've used the parts we still keep the boxes.
Ray White

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate mice!!

I have never mentioned "Tootsie" who was a cat that I rescued about 12 years ago. He had been dumped outside our Cattery and had learned how to fend for himself. He was a "mouser" and could take on rats and squirrels too...but fortunately, he left the little song birds alone. Tootsie and I developed a bond; he knew every word I said to him and was also fond of our Labrador; Dotty. In fact when I took the dog for a walk of an evening, Tootsie would follow along too. He was very car aware and disliked strangers but was the loveliest cat I have ever known; and I have had dealings with thousands of cats (through the Cattery) over the years.

Then one day last Summer he disappeared. I looked everywhere but there was no sign of him. He had gone. I was heartbroken...but it was the not knowing that really hurt.

Tootsie, my dear, dear cat. If only I knew what had happened to him Sad

Rootes75

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The not knowing would hurt, as a pet owner here I can really see that too.
Rootes75

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was a youngster my Grandparents had a farm cat, proper rough and rugged cat that you would never go near. Tipsy was her name and she particularly liked rats, she lost an eye to one once in a fight.

I recall she never came in the house, always chose to sleep in the coal shed.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mice are a royal PITA, as I probably mentioned before they made a nest under the back seat of the A40 while it was stored away under the lean-to, the nest got damp and consequently the shelf under the rear seat base, which is usually the last place for an A40 to rust, is a bit crusty, and the seat base structure itself disintegrated too.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Keith D

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few days ago I started my FWD up to do a towing job when there was an unearthly scrabbling noise behind the dashboard. I jumped out of the car and raised the bonnet, only to have a bl**y great rat leap out and disappear under some bushes. The car is now parked inside a perimeter of rat bait.
I used the car again yesterday and noticed a horrible smell coming out of the AC vents. I think I have to get rid of a rat's nest in there. Vermin gets everywhere.

Keith
1999 BMW Z3
Its weird being the same age as old people.
You are either part of the problem or part of the solution
Rootes75

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My next problem is tucked away in the back of the shed is my 37 Ford 7W. She's got lovely original blue leather interior...the way she's tucked in I can't open the doors to even check for mice!!!
bjacko

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 6:27 am    Post subject: Mice Reply with quote

After i got my Morris 8 I started my resto and when I pulled out the headlining there was a mouse nest. No mice they must have stayed with the original owner!!
We got a few mice after we had to have our cat put down due to the big C.
One day I put down a mouse trap with warm cheese (to make it stick or they can pinch it) and left the garage by the side door and as i got near the main door I heard the trap go off and I thought i must have set it too fine but when I looked there was a mouse in it. Cheeky blighter.
The biggest problem I have with rats is they eat my tomatoes. They come in the daytime over the fence and eat them, I even took a photo of them eating. We have spent a fortune on rat baits but after a while they are back. Trouble is we live close to a shopping centre with a lot of cafes and restaurants. We used to have a neighbour with hens (chooks they are called here in Aus) but they moved on.
Rootes75

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think my biggest issue is the unit rented next door to us....they are a mobile food outlet for festivals/shows etc and they store all their food inside.

But...a lot of the waste food after shows etc gets left outside for quite a while (months) in big bin type things that aren't particularly secure!!

We have seen some big rats scurrying round their equipment that's left outside....
Rusty

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HATE THE LITTLE B#####S !

Recently up at the farm the family had a mouse "plague", they even had to top dress bait out in the crops. During this "overpopulation event" the little sods ate through a firewall gromet and got into my late fathers Rambler American that we have stored in the shed with several other cars. Mouse dirt everywhere but they left the upholstery alone thank heaven, but did eat two holes in the headliner, and no doubt there is a nest behind that somewhere. We had to clean and disinfect it, and jammed some steel wool into the firewall hole to stop them returning.
DEATH TO MICE !!!
Rusty

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recently up at the farm the family had a mouse "plague", they even had to top dress bait out in the crops. During this "overpopulation event" the little sods ate through a firewall gromet and got into my late fathers Rambler American that we have stored in the shed with several other cars. Mouse dirt everywhere but they left the upholstery alone thank heaven, but did eat two holes in the headliner, and no doubt there is a nest behind that somewhere. We had to clean and disinfect it, and jammed some steel wool into the firewall hole to stop them returning.

DEATH TO ALL MICE !!!!
Rusty

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DEATH TO ALL MICE !!!!
Rootes75

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I have two cars that I currently can't get into without moving our lorries out and that can't be done till the weather improves....

So I can't even check inside them yet...fingers crossed the little buggers haven't got to the leather seats...
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We back on to a field and last year the buggers were getting in to the house, I bought a few traps and we must have caught half a dozen, released them about 100 yards down the garden, not sure if we caught the same ones twice.

Not sure how they got in? still have the traps down, but cross fingers have been mouse free for 3 months.

Dave
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a few mouse events in the garage and shed, nothing too bad but could be getting worse since the old cat made the final trip to the vet last summer Sad Would love to have another one or two but between my working hours and the cost of vet bills etc it's just not viable.

Back in 2019 I heard mice - or something like them, anyway - scampering around in the attic space over my bedroom at night. I got a few traps and baited them, caught nothing but the noises stopped after a bit. Later on I learnt that someone further down the terrace had put poison down for them which must have done the trick, the problem with terraced houses is that once they find their way into one they'll be all along the street!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: