classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Would you buy at Auction?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Ray White

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bitumen Boy wrote:
I think the white/clear lenses look better than amber ones would tbh, they look quite smart next to the chrome. As for red lenses, even if they were permitted I don't think they would be a great idea; a flashing red lamp is going to confuse most drivers on the road these days but everyone knows - or at least should know - the meaning of a flashing amber lamp Smile

I have to admit when I had fitted the chrome torpedo lights to the tank I was very pleased with the result. There was always a risk that if the indicators had looked wrong, I would have made holes in some hideously expensive end panels... and that would have not been a happy situation. Shocked

Any ideas about the individual reflectors?

Perhaps I could attach an extra pair of backing plates to the D lamps?

For example :

Penman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen similar on a TD. Some cars with sloping/flared rear wings had a Wedge shaped rubber backing to the reflector and attached them to the wings.

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
Ray White

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Penman wrote:
I have seen similar on a TD. Some cars with sloping/flared rear wings had a Wedge shaped rubber backing to the reflector and attached them to the wings.

Unfortunately, that would entail making holes in the wings. Shocked

The central spine would also make it difficult to look right.

At first I thought I could mount the reflectors over the D lamps...but then it the occurred to me that they might prevent removal/fitting of the spare wheel.
mikeC

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the tank end-plates are repros, why not fit the reflectors to 90? brackets below the indictors?
Ray White

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikeC wrote:
If the tank end-plates are repros, why not fit the reflectors to 90? brackets below the indictors?

Why not indeed! Brian Rainbow did that with his TA. He used the same holes as for the indicators.

Wishing I had thought about it before.

In truth, I had completely forgotten about reflectors until recently. It is interesting, however, just how many other similar cars don't have them at all.

As I understand it, the only legal requirement is between Sun set and Sun rise... so for most uses they are not needed... but who knows if I will be glad of them some time in the future?
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray White wrote:
mikeC wrote:

Why not indeed! Brian Rainbow did that with his TA. He used the same holes as for the indicators.

Wishing I had thought about it before.

In truth, I had completely forgotten about reflectors until recently. It is interesting, however, just how many other similar cars don't have them at all.

As I understand it, the only legal requirement is between Sun set and Sun rise... so for most uses they are not needed... but who knows if I will be glad of them some time in the future?

Who knows where or when you might want to park at night - or how long you might be waiting on recovery following a breakdown? I would fit the reflectors...
Ray White

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been over thinking this.

The petrol tank end panels idea would work O.K. but I don't think having a bracket there would look right.

The simplest solution seems to be to extend a pair of small backing plates beyond the D lamps and screw the reflectors to them.

When my new backing plate arrives I will have a better idea about exactly what to do.

(How did we get here from the original question about buying at auction?....oh yes; that pair of Bristols... Shocked Laughing )

bjacko

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 6:26 am    Post subject: Reflectors Reply with quote

Lucas produced reflectors for sloping mudguards. I had them on my original Morris 8 in 1956 in the UK as did many other motorists.
Lucas made several with different angles. They were a glass reflector in a rubber holder. Lucas part numbers 57030, 57031, 57039, 57040, 57065, 57090 and 57091. They were factory fitted on a number of vehicles in the 1950's.
Maybe available at old parts dealers or swap meets.
Ray White

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With respect, I shall not be drilling holes in my rear wings. Shocked Very Happy
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the rear D lamps, why not replace the (presumably) 2* BA15s bulb holders with a single BA15d, cut the lens and replace the rectangular section with a suitably shaped reflector.

It would save cluttering up the rear with non original components.

Or replace the D lenses with these: (personally I dont like amber on the rear)

Then add the reflectors where you have the indicators. A bit of re wiring to do and you would have to do the same with the bulb holders as per my first suggestion so there was a BA15d for the stop/ tail lights. Or fit a led kit:

Dave
Ray White

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your suggestions, Dave but I have wired everything up now...
V8 Nutter

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with red turn signals, most people nowadays don't realise what they are
Ray White

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

V8 Nutter wrote:
The problem with red turn signals, most people nowadays don't realise what they are

I am sure that is true. As you probably know there was a period in the 1950s when quite a few cars used that system; Ford, Jaguar and others were told to abandon it in favour of amber flashers. Standardised regulation was thought necessary because there were several different systems in use that may have led to confusion. For example, we had trafficator arms on some cars and none at all on others.

An interesting point is that the export MG TC had flashing brake lights which required a DB10 relay and quite involved wiring, whereas the home market cars had none at all; that despite other models having had trafficators for some time.
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 1958 Fordson truck didn't have any form indicators at all when produced, so would have relied on hand signals only. I was quite surprised that any vehicle made in the late 50's wasn't fitted with any form of indicators.

My MGA has flashing brake lamps using the DB10 relay that Ray mentioned. I'm always conscious that vehicles behind me may not interoperate signals correctly, so turn with extra care!

I think legislation came in around 1960 to make it a requirement for all post 1930 vehicles to have some form of indicators, and making "Amber Flashing" the UK standard moving forward.

Dave
alastairq

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

US-made cars had the rear indicators tied in with the brake lights.
This can create wiring confusions when converting to UK legal standards...
I still maintain that, given the changes in observational routines of today's drivers, when compared with those of the fifties & sixties...that any retro-fitted rear [or indeed, front?] indicators should be clearly enough displayed when not in use...to enable following modern [apology for?] drivers to at least have a clue as to whereabouts on the rear end of the vehicle, to be observing.

I can recall driving even in the 1970's to be of a different nature, in that, one not only observed for flashing rear indicators, but also one wouldn't be surprised by the proliferation of hand signals.
Whether they were the 'correct' hand signal or not, was a different matter.
----------------------------------------------
Ford Pop chassis, Ashley 1172 bodyshell, in pieces.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: