classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

what restoration aspects do you all want to learn?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 2:29 pm    Post subject: what restoration aspects do you all want to learn? Reply with quote

Which aspects of restoration do you all want to learn? Coachpainting? Rust repairs? Body soldering? Wood framing? or something else? Question Question
Standardsteve

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it would have to be coach painting, I was lucky to learn lead loading and welding when I was young from an old pro now long gone but have always fancied a go at coach painting.
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

standardsteve, I guess that there are going to be more than you with that answer...is there anything else? Now lets see what anyone else says!
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need to get better at electrics, painting, coach painting, lead loading, ash framing.......
Brian M

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having tought myself to mig weld and able to bend and shape metal to a good standard, I would really like to be able to put the final coat of paint on.

Many years ago I rebuilt an early Range Rover and tried to respray it myself. I couldn't get a good finish - thin paint, runs or orange peel, so my son, who was then aged about 15, asked if he could have a go.

I sanded down all my work and gave him the gun and seemingly without effort he put on a first class paint job!
Old-Nail

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything at all Joe, I am notoriously ill informed as to all aspects of good practice when it comes to restoration.

Whatever you choose to put up would be beneficial to me!
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't really thinking of posting anything, but I suppose that it could be possible on the main site, if Rick was in agreement.

The trouble is, I tend to be a bit of a perfectionist, and therefore a bad teacher!

One thing that I have been thinking about lately though, which in a way contradicts the teaching thing, is to find someone suitable to pass on what knowledge I have...I'm not getting any younger! Exclamation
Old-Nail

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean a 'grasshopper'?

(known only to persons of a certain age or kung fu fans!)
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aah, but which one of us is grasshopper?
Standardsteve

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah that's the other thing I wanted to learn - how to walk on rice paper! Ive already branded the standard badges on my arms. this also will only make sence to the older ones amongst us.
Standardsteve
admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yup, you lot have lost me entirely now Very Happy

Rick
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me too! Confused
Old-Nail

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you can snatch the spanner from my hand.... it will be time to leave! Laughing
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Standardsteve: I guess that the master could teach you to walk on rice paper...did grasshopper ever manage it?
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UJ

I would love to learn some of the tricks and tips you must have been given/found out over the years, the type of things that make jobs easier that no one is willing to teach you?!?

Cheers

Dave

P.S... I haven't heard about your book for a while, hows it going
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: